Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #16
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
What exact pieces of hardware are you using markom? I'm in a hotel right now and I can't seem to get AirDrop working on the same wifi network since it's very congested (So whoever told me I didn't need a wifi connection, but sill needed both wifi and Bluetooth on - I'm not very happy with you ). I was looking at a wifi SDcard/USB port reader the other day on Amazon, but it wasn't going to come in on time so I saved it for later.

I would really like something I could use within Readdle Document's ability to connect to SMB.
What devices do you want to connect and what kind of files to send ?

I don't think you can Airdrop files from iPad to Mac or PC, as yet.

I can't even use Airdrop to share files between my iPad 1 and iPad 4 because only iPad 4 and above are compatible with Airdrop, also iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPod touch 5.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5887

To share files wirelessly between iOS tablets and phones (even without local wi-fi network) we can use any free third party app for wi-fi and bluetooth transfer (FileManager, Phone Drive, Feem Lite etc.) or any free app there that can take use of local wi-fi network (e.g. using internet browser on the other device (PC, Mac) to get or send files to that iPad/iPhone app).

In my last post I was talking about using some wi-fi HDD enclosure costing 40-50 $, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Enclos...nal+hard+drive

or wi-fi HDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86YfYDltHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSANvrlPI-8

It creates its own wi-fi network that any other iOS or Android devices then uses to connect to, via specific iOS/Android app or just internet browser.

Last edited by markom; 08-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I rarely want to use the device as a file storage thing, but there are plenty of apps on the app store which allow that. The first one I had was called Data Briefcase (or similar)... its no longer being developed... As for using files with multiple apps... dropbox. Not sure what else you'd need to be doing.
If you want to import a file on your iThingie and you're not connected to the Internet, bad luck. From what I understand, Apple has forced the few developers who allowed file exchange via USB (with an adaptor) to remove that option. There are a few manufacturers that offer a device (for 100 € or so) that you can connect to your iThingie and exchange files using their dedicated app. But if Apple decides they don't want that either, then you can throw your 100 € device to the trash can. And from what I can see, this won't be fixed in iOS8. No Internet, no file.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
If you want to import a file on your iThingie and you're not connected to the Internet, bad luck. From what I understand, Apple has forced the few developers who allowed file exchange via USB (with an adaptor) to remove that option. There are a few manufacturers that offer a device (for 100 € or so) that you can connect to your iThingie and exchange files using their dedicated app. But if Apple decides they don't want that either, then you can throw your 100 € device to the trash can. And from what I can see, this won't be fixed in iOS8. No Internet, no file.
You don't need active internet connection though, just wi-fi network e.g. over your home wireless router or the one that comes with wi-fi enclosure/hdd.

If our wi-fi enclosure/hdd has got additional usb port or sd card slot, then we can also attach memory stick or sd card and wirelessly transfer files from memory stick to iPad or as mentioned before connect e-reader like Kindle DX.

No need for iPad jailbreaking whatsoever, for such wireless file sharing.

We don't need even wi-fi network to share files between iDevices because we can use its bluetooth and wi-fi capability, after we install corresponding iOS app on each device.

Last edited by markom; 08-22-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
You don't need active internet connection, just wi-fi network e.g. over your home wireless router or the one that comes with wi-fi enclosure/hdd.

If our wi-fi enclosure/hdd has got additional usb port or sd card slot, then we can also attach memory stick or sd card and wirelessly transfer files from memory stick to iPad or as I mentioned before connect e-reader like Kindle DX.

No need for iPad jailbreaking whatsoever.
Well, if I'm at home I don't have that kind of problem, I can connect to Dropbox. What I'm talking about is being in a foreign country for example, where you will only have intermittent access to the Net from hotels or cafés. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. My iPad is a personal device and the company's policy is against connecting anything but company devices to their network. When I'm in France I use 3G and the Net to transfer files from my professional PC to my iPad. Abroad, I just couldn't do a thing. I'm also not allowed to install software on the company PC.

But anyway, my point was that Apple has no right to prevent me from doing something as basic as copying a file from a USB key. That makes me angry every time I think about it. Even if it's possible one way or another, it will always be a workaround for something that they are willfully trying to prevent me from doing. It's not like they didn't think it would be useful. They just don't want me to do it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Well, if I'm at home I don't have that kind of problem, I can connect to Dropbox. What I'm talking about is being in a foreign country for example, where you will only have intermittent access to the Net from hotels or cafés. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. My iPad is a personal device and the company's policy is against connecting anything but company devices to their network. When I'm in France I use 3G and the Net to transfer files from my professional PC to my iPad. Abroad, I just couldn't do a thing. I'm also not allowed to install software on the company PC.

But anyway, my point was that Apple has no right to prevent me from doing something as basic as copying a file from a USB key. That makes me angry every time I think about it. Even if it's possible one way or another, it will always be a workaround for something that they are willfully trying to prevent me from doing. It's not like they didn't think it would be useful. They just don't want me to do it.
In the meantime, for those who don't want to jailbreak their iDevices in order to be able to connect usb memory sticks directly, probably the easiest and cheapest way is to get wi-fi enclosure for external hdd.

With wi-fi enclosure turned off and connected to PC via usb cable, we can transfer our files from PC to enclosured hdd as with any external hdd, or transfer files from PC to usb memory stick and then plug memory stick into enclosured hdd.

Also we can henceforth always buy the cheapest iPad/iPhone and Android because we don't need a lot of memory capacity anymore and all our files are in one place capable of being wirelessly accessed with many iOS or Android tablets simultaneously.

If we need something smaller and lighter then

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connec...words=ipad+hdd

Last edited by markom; 08-22-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
iTunes doesn't ever "fix" a phone. I have found when bricked that a little app called Tiny Umbrella (often used in conjunction with jailbreaking) is a useful tool for kicking a phone out of recovery. A restore can happen after that. I notice in the article people were whining about having to restore, and *lose* all their stuff. Well here's the thing... if they backed up regularly, that would not happen. I've never lost anything after getting bricked. You just have to be sensible. I have a friend who has not backed up since about a year ago. More fool her, she's been warned. One day she will lose everything, and blame the phone. Boring!
You and I know that... I don't think they know how to back up, although they do know how to sync music.

Had I had the chance, I would've advised them to do precisely that. In fact, I did, after the fact, advise them they should ask me first.

The average iUser wouldn't be able to do this, apparently, so I maintain -- shame on you, Apple! Your users should not be forced to use third-party tools because you push bricked updates!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The last time I looked, iTunes backs up by default. You can choose not to back up, but I don't see where one can blame Apple for a user deliberately choosing not to back up.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The last time I looked, iTunes backs up by default. You can choose not to back up, but I don't see where one can blame Apple for a user deliberately choosing not to back up.
Why are you assuming that the user in question has so much as a basic working knowledge of computers?

I am sure they may have a backup on some computer somewhere, from whenever they last used iTunes (as opposed to downloading it through an app) and assuming they kept their iPhone in (and at one computer) for long enough to do so... in short, your theory works for the case of someone who already more or less knows what they are doing.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

iTunes backs up if you connect your iThingie to your computer. Most people never do that I think. I used to connect to iTunes several times a week, but I have almost completely stopped doing it and I must remind myself to back up once in a while.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Muggles don't think about backing up. As a geek I used to forget about backing up sometimes. Now I have iCloud backup set up and I backup to iTunes on my iMac once a week. I have a recurring reminder that goes off every Sunday at 3pm so I don't forget. My Muggle friends don't do that but I do have iCloud backup set up on all of their devices. Majority of them don't even have iTunes installed on their computers.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why are you assuming that the user in question has so much as a basic working knowledge of computers?

I am sure they may have a backup on some computer somewhere, from whenever they last used iTunes (as opposed to downloading it through an app) and assuming they kept their iPhone in (and at one computer) for long enough to do so... in short, your theory works for the case of someone who already more or less knows what they are doing.
So, why then do you blame Apple? If they aren't connecting to a computer, and they don't back up to iCloud, how exactly do you expect Apple to magically back up the device?
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
So, why then do you blame Apple? If they aren't connecting to a computer, and they don't back up to iCloud, how exactly do you expect Apple to magically back up the device?
I don't expect the device to be backed up, that is rather the point.

I expect Apple to push updates that don't magically brick iDevices at random, rather than assuming it is alright because even if it does happen, they should've backed up.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-25-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: whoops, misplaced word changed the meaning a little bit. :o
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't expect the device to be backed up, that is rather the point.

I expect Apple to push updates that magically don't brick iDevices, rather than assuming it is alright because even if it does happen, they should've backed up.
It's the nature of the beast. Files sometimes get corrupted, other times users interrupt an update in the middle of things. If you expect 100% perfect updates when dealing with some 500 million devices being updated in a wide variety of network connections and situations then you really need to get use to being disappointed.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
It's the nature of the beast. Files sometimes get corrupted, other times users interrupt an update in the middle of things. If you expect 100% perfect updates when dealing with some 500 million devices being updated in a wide variety of network connections and situations then you really need to get use to being disappointed.
In this case, it wasn't a corrupted download (and it would get verified first ) or people interrupting things in the middle. It was a badly coded update that bricked enough iDevices to receive a fair amount of notice. IOW, yes, Apple did something wrong. I am not sure why you seem to think it is user error, for not backing up their device. FWIW, I agree that backups are crucial, but I don't think my extra habit should exempt developers from the need to avoid pushing broken software.

Also, I was responding to your statement:
Quote:
I don't, that was never my point, and please stop putting really random words in my mouth.

I am beginning to suspect you are an Apple fanboi you seem to be excusing anything Apple does as "If you expect 100% perfect [...] you really need to get use to being disappointed".
Old 08-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #30
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Does anyone know if you can jail break an iPad 1 (ios5) in order to put a non-released .ipa file on it? We developed an iPad math fact app but can no longer put it on our ipad 1 devices for use in schools because xcode doesn't support ios5 or 6. The app works fine but you have to use Apple's developer certification system which no longer works for ios5

We've since upgraded our xcode and iPads and the app but it would be nice to put the iPad 1s to work in a public elementary school to get the students up to snuff in their math facts.

Any suggestions?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote