Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #16
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
I have the exact same problem. I checked all the suggestions in this post and none of them work for me. I do not use Sigil or Calibre, I write myself the OPF.

The Go to beginning is OK in Previewer and PC reader, but NOT in kindle device

I use KindleGen 2.5, Previewer 2.51 and eInk kindle firmware 4.1.0 and everything I have read so far seem to indicate it is a v4 firmware bug.

Unless I missed something here it seems there is no workaround yet. If someone has the solution with K4, please help ...

Many thanks
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #17
abeonis
eBook DIYer

BTW, the "KF8 Example" provided by Amazon web site in the "Kindle Format 8" page has the same problem. I informed Amazon support 1 week ago so they have a test case to investigate and got no answer so far.
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Check out the thread immediately below this one for more details on the "Start Reading" functionality and it's glitches on various devices.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191387
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Hi Grand Sorcerer,

Many thanks for directing me to this thread. I will carefully look at it, I know someone who fixed his designs with the workaround provided post#58
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
davidnwelton
davidnwelton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

This looks suspiciously like a problem I'm seeing. On a first-generation Kindle Fire, the book opens up fine to Chapter 1, but on a newer Fire, I'm getting reports that it opens up in the ToC. It's one single file, and I'm pointing to the beginning like so:

<reference type="text" title="Start" href="index.html#chapter-1"/>
</guide>

This is kindlegen 2.5... has anyone seen improvements with newer versions?
davidnwelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #21
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnwelton View Post
This is kindlegen 2.5... has anyone seen improvements with newer versions?
Some older KindleGen versions had problems with guide items in the KF8 part of master mobi files. This was fixed in KindleGen 2.7. (The current version is 2.8.)

You may want to download the latest version from Amazon.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
davidnwelton
davidnwelton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Updating to 2.8 has no effect. What I find extremely strange about the situation is that things work fine on my Kindle Fire, but on a Fire HD, the book apparently opens up in the middle of the ToC. I didn't think the two systems were very far out of sync in terms of things like that. I had hoped not to have to redo everything by breaking out every chunk of text into its own HTML file.
davidnwelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kf8, kindle, kindlegen, mobi