Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Fangles
Fangles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Auto renaming authors to mixed case

I've made a mess of importing books and authors over the last 4 months and author names and book titles are a messy mixture of upper and lower case.

Since I have thousands of books, this is a huge task.

Is there a way to automatically rename ALL authors and titles to proper mixed case? (It would save my fingers and my sanity)

I:e. hARry TURTldove lOVe in A FRyiNgPan
to Harry TurtleDove Love In A Fryingpan
Fangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Where have you made this mess? You can't set that info directly on the Kindle, so have you been using some sort of ebook manager?
And how many messes are we talking about? Dozen or hundreds?

If you are using Calibre, you could certainly use a regular expression to fix all the metadata. You might end up having to reconvert the whole library to get it reflected on the Kindle. Not sure. Even if so, it could take a while, but it would an automatic click-and-leave process.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Torrents, eh?
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Fangles

Quote:
Where have you made this mess?
When my wife and I were buying free and paid books from Amazon, smashwords, gutenberg and other free sites (I searched 80 sites for free books), I left the import for Calibre at "get metadata from file contents" and a lot of the books were a mess and the downloaded metadata incorrect because of lazy packagers.

Not every book (AZW, EPUB) had metadata set in the book itself and author names, titles and other details were wrong and I had collected over 1,400 books. of course, I had loads of different formats (including PDF which didn't extract cover or metadata)

Quote:
If you are using Calibre, you could certainly use a regular expression to fix all the metadata.
Don't understand regular expressions, they do my head in (sigh). Might try to manually rename everything no matter how long it takes.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Fangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Torrents, eh?
The only torrent I touched during this process of exploration were for the "Doc Savage" series as I was fairly certain they are out of copyright in this country.

But I am not certain and would be glad to be corrected.

There are literally thousands of sites for free and legal ebooks if people take the time to do their research.
Advert