Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Question Help me by suggesting an e-reader!!! :D

I am just starting my search for an e-reader and I was hoping you folks could steer me toward some options that I hadn't considered.

Basically I'm looking for a device that will facilitate my transition toward a digital library so that I can save money and space. I'm an academic, but I don't work in the humanities rather than a technical field. Most of the stuff I'll be reading is straight print. I'm fairly tech savvy, like to mod my devices and tend to work primarily in Debian-based distros on my three computers.

Must haves:
- outstanding .pdf support
- ability to set up and browse by file trees
- 6" eink screen
- sdhc support
- durable/reliable product
- that the reader not be heavily invested in DRM
- under $300

Would be nice, but not necessary, to have:
- wifi
- a wide variety of formats supported
- touch screen
- the ability to annotate
- linux-based OS
- web browser / html support
- lots of customization options
- support for apps
- solid ergonomics

Things I don't care about or don't need:
- 3G
- the store that the reader is associated with
- aesthetics
- dictionaries
- accessories

Ideally I'd love something like an ASUS tablet, but most of their ereader prototypes have amounted to nothing but vaporware.

The other range that I've been impressed with thus far is pocketbook. Astak EZ Reader is also interesting, although the company seems a bit disorganized.

Any other suggestions???

Last edited by v1k1ng1001; 08-21-2010 at 11:26 PM.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Pocketbook 360

I am very happy with my Pocketbook 360, its a bit smaller than what you are looking for but its sturdy and reliable so far.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Do you want a reader or a pad/tablet? Reading on e ink is significantly better than an lcd screen, but if it doesn't bother you, go for it.

Personally, I just want a reader. I can use my phone or laptop if I need something else. I have the Nook and I love it. It doesn't have a file tree system, but once you root it you can make collections by tags using calibre. It supports epub and pdf, which are what most libraries and a lot ebook stores use.

It does most of the things you want or would like. There are lots of add ons once you root it with the nookdev software. I am not sure you will get any reader with outstanding pdf support. Even with the Kindle DX, a pad would give you better results. But if it is text, I don't think you'd be disappointed. I have pds with txt and some graphics and they look great, imo.

Must haves:
+- outstanding .pdf support
x collections or tags- ability to set up and browse by file trees
+- 6" eink screen
+- sdhc support
+- durable/reliable product
+- that the reader not be heavily invested in DRM
+- under $300

Would be nice, but not necessary, to have:
+- wifi
x only 2 but the most common - a wide variety of formats supported
+- touch screen
+- the ability to annotate
+- linux-based OS
+- web browser / html support
+- lots of customization options
+- support for apps
+- solid ergonomics
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
You've already mentioned Pocketbook - and I'd have to agree with you. It sounds as if you would get along well with a Pocketbook 302.

From what I've seen/heard about the device, it has the things you want, plus it's only $279.99 (comfort package).

I don't have a PB302, I have a Pocketbook 360. But, most of the software is the same (except, of course, you'd have it a bit different to run the WiFi and touchscreen on the PB302). And, it's very "hackable" software (Linux-based). Take a browse through the Pocketbook sub-forum and you'll see there's a whole bunch of stuff you can do with your Pocketbook, from adding different themes, dictionaries, fonts or even a highly modified FBreader program.

As mentioned, you won't be happy with PDF on a 6" screen - unless you re-flow it. But, you said you read mostly text - and I know FBreader, PDviewer and Adobe (all available on the Pocketbooks) reflow PDFs well enough. Not great - but I'm okay with my library books in PDF...

Give a read to this website (http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_302.html) and you'll see it supports a bunch of formats. Plus, it's just like having an extra hard drive - you can make many, many levels of folders - to your heart's content.

I've been very impressed with my Pocketbook. The software that these things run on is impressive. Can't recommend them enough.

Good luck with your search.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
just by your must haves-
PocketBook 301

Must Have + Would be nice -

Right Now- Onyx Boox 60
Waiting 2 months you ill also have the new PocketBook 602/603 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95359
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Thanks for all the input thus far!

I think that you all are basically right. As I am catching up on these forums and reading, I am finding that what I described in the original post is basically the pocketbook range more or less. Owners obviously love them to death in spite of the fact that they tend to be a little expensive nowadays. Except for the fact that it is a 5" display, I really like the design of the 360. Its operating system is exactly what I want out of a Linux-based OS. The 302 is really an amazing product and seems an apt replacement for the now-defunct ASUS reader.

Five years ago I bought an Iriver HP120 over the ipod because the iriver had (and still has) top of the line audio but, more importantly, the OS supported a ton of audio formats and allowed you to browse by feel tree rather than tag. Even though it looks like something from Darth Vader's belt, I won't trade it in for all the bells and whistles of new players because it was basically all I ever needed.

@ Dulin: I'll have to check out the Onyx Boox 60 next and get back to you later. Thanks for the tip!

Provisionally, the questions that remain are:

1. Do I really want to spend $60-$120 more when I can probably get by with the super cheap Kindle 3 wifi? (given my experience with the Iriver/Ipod, the answer is probably yes)

2. Do I want to wait a few weeks/months to see what Pocketbook brings to the table? (The answer here too is probably yes because even if the new product line is too expensive, it will probably drive down the prices of the older range.)
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote