Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Lightbulb Make Your Own Polycarbonate Case

I described a really cool case I saw back in this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?t=8654&page=4

None of youall confessed to being the case owner, so I started a quest for the polycarbonate case to put my Reader in my briefcase. Alas, nobody sells it, but you can make your own for about $10. All you need is one tricky item, but for that we have the Internet.

You can get a polycarbonate DVD anti-theft case for $4 plus shipping from Brodart Library Supplies at the following URL
http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/p...atnum=86657001

The case is 8 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 3/4", and that will be the tiny amount of space taken up by your Reader once inside.

Picture #1 shows the case as it comes from Brodart. Alas, this case is designed to prevent DVD theft, and it can only be unlocked with a special tool. Fortunately it comes unlocked, and you can disable the lock mechanism by inserting a putty knife as shown in Picture #2. Just pry it up a little and shake out the metal locking gizmo. Throw that out, and you can use the latching mechanism to keep your Reader snug inside. Picture #3 shows the locking bits removed.

Since the reader needs a little cushioning, I got some weather strip at my local Home Depot for $2, as shown in Picture #4. You could use 1/2" weather strip, it would fit better, but my Home Depot only had it in ugly grey.

Line the inside half of the case (it slides inside the other half as you close the case) with a strip of cushion as shown in Pictures #5 and #6. Case complete.

Picture #7 shows the Reader inserted in the case, Picture #8 shows the Reader cover closed, and Picture #9 shows the case buttoned up.

This case provides good protection from minor shocks and squishing, but it only provides minimal protection from pointy thingys. My briefcase has lots of flat things, like magazines and folios, so I mostly worry about my Reader being crushed. If you put yours in a bag where it could be poked, the polycarbonate case could be cracked. You could reinforce it with 1/8" plexiglas to make it more poke-proof and still less than 1" thick.

(Apologies to all the folks who use the good measurement system, we just can't buy things labeled in meters here in the US.)

/Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch Lock2.jpg
Views:	1993
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	3920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Putty Knife2.jpg
Views:	1649
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	3921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch Unlocked2.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	3922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherstrip2.jpg
Views:	1487
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	3923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case with Cushion2.jpg
Views:	1510
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	3924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cushion Closeup2.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	946.5 KB
ID:	3925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader in Case2.jpg
Views:	2226
Size:	728.0 KB
ID:	3926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader Cover Closed2.jpg
Views:	1599
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	3927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to go2.jpg
Views:	1823
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	3928  
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Very nice, RSaunders, and excellent pix to go with it. Thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
RSaunders,

You have done a great job on this as well as specific instructions. Thanks for the link to get the poly case.
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Thanks indeed. I'm currently waiting for Brodart to get around to shipping the two I ordered (one for my Reader, one for my wife's). Latest info (as of 5 minutes ago) is that they have 19 in stock, so I should get to produce my own cases sometime soon.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
These things do indeed make a dandy case. It took me about 20 minutes to prepare two of them. And most of that was due to having to trim the foam insulation tape I had for both width and thickness. The tape I had in stock was 3/4"x1/2" -- the case really wanted 5/8"x3/8". Scissors took care of it promptly.

I was worried about popping out the security latch, but that turned out to be the easiest part.

Thanks again to Randy, for a great idea with clear instructions!

Last edited by Xenophon; 06-22-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fumbled typing original version
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hmm, that sounds interessting.

Since it's almost impossible to get an Idea of the size in Inches, i coverted it (and it may help other metric system users too)

The Case is: 20.64cm x 14.92cm x 1.91cm

Best Regards

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

a normal dvd case looks like should fit the reader perfectly if one were to strip out the disc holder ring. what do you guys think of this:

http://www.american-digital.com/prod...indow,NoIndent
http://www.effectuality.com/store/it...ore/cdn/lng/en

Last edited by jakeluck; 07-01-2007 at 01:08 AM.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
a normal dvd case looks like should fit the reader perfectly if one were to strip out the disc holder ring. what do you guys think of this?
It looks interesting, but it seems to be about the same thickness as the Reader. If you get one, please send us photos with your Reader in it.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Sony:
Dimensions
Weight: Approx. 9oz. without soft cover
Measurements: Approx. 6.9" x 4.9" x 0.5". (175.6
x 123.6 x 13.8mm)
Tin Case:
Size: 18.5cm x 13cm, Depth w/ insert 0.75cm, w/o insert 1.4cm

Looks, like 2mm to spare.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
imanlhakim
imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ 1950 and PRS-500
Using Crayon Case

In Indonesia I could not get sony case easily, but I was worry about my prs in my back pack, so I took crayon box and use it as a case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fancycase.jpg
Views:	1031
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	4528  
imanlhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
I got one of the tin cases. Reader fits great with about 2mm on each side but I'm not sure the flexible tin is strong enough to trust over the Broadart padded box which I did as well.. For those interested in the tin, ask for a 'sample' which they volunteered to send me because shipping from Canada (to USA, anyway) was $14 on a $1 item. I offered to pay shipping, but they didn't bother.
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseyride View Post
I got one of the tin cases. Reader fits great with about 2mm on each side but I'm not sure the flexible tin is strong enough to trust over the Broadart padded box which I did as well.. For those interested in the tin, ask for a 'sample' which they volunteered to send me because shipping from Canada (to USA, anyway) was $14 on a $1 item. I offered to pay shipping, but they didn't bother.
Does Sony Reader fit into the tin with the stock cover?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
horseyride
Enthusiast

Wont fit with cover, no. Too narrow
Old 11-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
horseyride
Enthusiast

I was thinking of trying some plexiglass reinforcement on the inside cover attached with superglue, then some neoprene, but its a longer term project while I use the broadart
Old 12-12-2007, 07:13 AM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Tried to order one of these cases from Brodart's yesterday but got an email back saying "... we only sell security cases to libraries. I hope this has not cause any inconvenience".

Aside: I do wonder about the last part - does the author imagine I made an international order based on a whim or that I didn't really want the case? Of course, it's going to cause an incovenience, at the very least!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote