Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Possible to organize by author *and* title?

I just received a Kindle 3, and I'm trying to get my ebooks organized. I've noticed something strange and annoying. If I sort by author (whether in a collection or for all books), the titles are not sorted in any order that I can determine.

Is it possible to sort alphabetically by the author's last name, and then by the title for multiple books by the same author? Or did someone at Amazon decide that this makes too much sense and must be forbidden?
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuty View Post
I just received a Kindle 3, and I'm trying to get my ebooks organized. I've noticed something strange and annoying. If I sort by author (whether in a collection or for all books), the titles are not sorted in any order that I can determine.

Is it possible to sort alphabetically by the author's last name, and then by the title for multiple books by the same author? Or did someone at Amazon decide that this makes too much sense and must be forbidden?

Bingo!!! Search the Calibre forum for ways to do this.

You do run Calibre, right?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Djehuty
Connoisseur

I run Calibre, but I haven't been able to find a way to sort properly. I've been searching the Calibre forum, and can't find anything which might fix this problem. Could you perhaps give me a hint?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
0xdb
0xdb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Since it is possible to add books to more than one collection, I do this by having a collection for each popular author and then going to that collection and sorting by title. Hope this helps.
First post, hi!
0xdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdb View Post
Since it is possible to add books to more than one collection, I do this by having a collection for each popular author and then going to that collection and sorting by title. Hope this helps.
First post, hi!
Kindles can have sub-folders?
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Kindles can have sub-folders?
No Kindles do not (sadly) have sub-folders or more correctly sub-collections (collections are not folders but tags or labels applied to each book)

OXDB (welcome ) has made 1 collection for each author and then (while in that collection) can sort by book title - click up to the top with the controller and move right to select "Title". This will then sort the books by Title for you.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
OXDB (welcome ) has made 1 collection for each author and then (while in that collection) can sort by book title - click up to the top with the controller and move right to select "Title". This will then sort the books by Title for you.
Thanks. I didn't know that could be done either.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Djehuty
Connoisseur

Desertgrandma suggested that this can be achieved through Calibre. Could anyone tell me how? I can't find it in the Calibre forum.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Thanks. I didn't know that could be done either.
**User Guide**

JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote