Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Doea an ebook sale to you represent a lost print sale?
Yes- if there was no ebook version, I would buy a paper copy 29 17.16%
No- I would not buy a print copy even if there was no e-version 93 55.03%
No- I only read from the library and would not buy a print copy OR an ebook copy 7 4.14%
Other- explain 40 23.67%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Does an ebook sale represent, to you, a lost print sale?

One of the reasons publishers seem to fear ebooks so much is the threat that ebook sales will 'cannibalize' print sales. I am curious whether readers here find this is true for them. If you had not bought the ebook, would you have bought the print book instead?

For me, I would not have. I do not have the space to store physical copies of every book I might want to read. So, instead of 'no ebook equals print sale' it's 'no ebook equals no sale and I get it from the library.' There is no way the publishers could 'convince' me to buy a print copy by withholding the sale of an ebook. All they will do is lose money.

What does everyone else think---does an ebook sale, for you, represent a lost print sale?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
For me, I would not have. I do not have the space to store physical copies of every book I might want to read. So, instead of 'no ebook equals print sale' it's 'no ebook equals no sale and I get it from the library.' There is no way the publishers could 'convince' me to buy a print copy by withholding the sale of an ebook. All they will do is lose money.
Ditto for me. I no longer have storage space for more pbooks.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not necessarily

Sometimes I make an e-book purchase to make an existing well-loved p-book easier to carry, or just as a "back-up" (I live in a hurricane-susceptible region, and evacuating with a hard drive is a lot easier than going with boxes of books).

Or, if an e-book impresses me enough, I'm very likely to buy a physical copy, either for myself or as a gift for a friend/relative.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I most likely won't buy the pbook even though they're not available in ebook.

I most likely will also get an ebook if I get a pbook.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
One of the reasons publishers seem to fear ebooks so much is the threat that ebook sales will 'cannibalize' print sales. I am curious whether readers here find this is true for them. If you had not bought the ebook, would you have bought the print book instead?

What does everyone else think---does an ebook sale, for you, represent a lost print sale?
To specify this claim of theirs a bit further: They're afraid it will cannibalize high-yield HC sales. I doubt they care one fig about pback sales (which generate horrible overhead costs what with all the no-sale book destruction)
Ideally, I would see a world where all pbacks were replaced by ebooks, with people only sometimes buying HCs (when they felt the book merited it).
That said, for those people who treasure Dan Brown/Harry Potter, and want to buy it asap, they might indeed buy fewer HCs if they all owned an ebookreader, but this could easily be solved by, say, selling the ebooks at HC price until pb introduction (or whatever).
Anyway, the only paper books I buy are HCs (with the exception of some OUP titles and textbooks).
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
While I am like so many others who are out of room for more books (and/or sick of searching my house looking for a particular book!), whether I buy e-book, print, or both completely depends on the book:

(a) some books are not well-suited to e-reading on a portable device -- lots of graphics, or reference-type books that you must flip around a lot within. I may still buy an-ebook version if the price is right, but I'll also likely pick up a printed version.

(b) some books I love enough to want both. Even though I have pretty much every book in the Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold already in paper format, I recently bought many of them in e-book format as well. The price was right, and I reread at least one of these books every year or so -- having them in e-book form makes sense for me. I can also go the other way -- having an e-book may cause me to buy the hard copy as well.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For what little it's worth, if there is no ebook I would just go buy the pbook. If I bought/obtained an ebook version of something I particularly liked, I might then also go and buy the pbook (the "bought/obtained" bit is due to the likelihood of it being a PD ebook I'd "obtained" rather than bought that I then wanted the paper version of). Sometimes I buy the pbook only even when there's an ebook, because I just love pbook-shopping in a nice, big store (especially now, when the possibility is relegated to the occasional capital city-visit), or because I have every other pbook of the series/author, and I want to continue that. There has been one ebook I've bought after buying and reading the pbook, simply because it's a useful reference to have on my computer rather than just on the shelves. That might happen again, I suppose.

Generally though, yes, if I buy an ebook, I'll probably not buy any version of the pbook.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
One aspect of ebook purchasing is impulse buying. It's so easy to add a few more electrons to your ebook reader without having to worry about where to store a physical copy (yes - I too have run out of room to store pbooks), or how hard it will be to sell it if you don't like it, etc. It's kind of a no-risk way to try reading a book - esp. if you can get a free sample first. Also, others have posted this too, it's so easy to add a book while you are watching TV or a movie, and don't have to try to remember to write down the title and order it after the show is over.

So, an ebook sale does not necessarily mean a lost pbook sale. Sometimes, it is an extra sale, outside of your regular book buying habits.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'd say most of the time, I'll break down and buy the print version. Makes me cranky though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Much of what I've read have been things I wouldn't have ordinarily bought paperbooks of, because of cost (I read a bunch of public domain books). I've also been turned on to ebooks when a paperbook wouldn't have ordinarily been readily available to me (such as like Third Pig Detective Agency, where I'd have to import one from the UK). The only ones I've been turned off of, is when the author is anti ebook (like The Time Traveler's Wife).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I have read a number of books as ebooks that I would likely never have read as paper books, but I am also sure that some of the electronic books I read would also be books I would have bought in paper format if they hadn't been available as ebooks.

All of that being said, publishers need to recognize that fears or no, the publishing world will be changed by ebooks. Not adapting to the ebook world is like not going to the dentist when you have a tooth ache because you are afraid of the pain... In the long run, you will regret not doing it

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I move every few years and my hubby is tired of moving a bunch of books. I only buy paperbacks of 3 authors, now. unfortunately they are starting to come out in HC before pback, so I'm looking at doing the ebook route until I can get the pback. I don't think ebooks will ever completely replace pbooks for me, but I like having the option. Plus I live in the middle of nowhere, and getting to a store to BUY a book is hard, and our library is miniscule.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
GeoLib
GeoLib doesn't litterGeoLib doesn't litterGeoLib doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3
If the book is in English, and no one else in the family is going to read it, then I’d buy the e-book version, if available, but not the paper one.
But if the book was translated into Spanish and more people around me would read it, I’d buy the paper copy. Not many recent releases are available as e-books in Spanish and paper books are still easier to share as I’m the only one in the family to own an e-book reader.
There could be exceptions to the no more paper books if I were traveling to an English speaking country with good second hand bookshops and I had enough space in my luggage.
GeoLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Some books I'll buy as ebook and print version. some books I'll buy eihter version, some books I'll buy only as ebook. It depends on the book...
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
No, it does not.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote