Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #22666
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
After the fire Friday my sister and I planned on looking for a place to rent for us both. This both so my parents don't have to worry about us but also so we're out of the smell. We've discovered cleaning up soot isn't as easy and the smell is hard to get rid of. My sister can't go to work smelling of smoke. We hoped we could get emergency status so we get priority when looking for our own place.

My sister called this morning and they told her that because my parents stay at home that means that the house can be lived in so we can't get emergency status.

I'm going to call the victims helpline to see if they can help us and we're going to the council today to see them in person and ask what they can do to help us.

It's so frustrating!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #22667
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Good luck to you Rumpelteazer. Can't the insurance provide the services of some company used to clean after a fire? This is a though job, indeed (there had been an intentional fire where I was working several years ago).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #22668
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Good luck to you Rumpelteazer. Can't the insurance provide the services of some company used to clean after a fire? This is a though job, indeed (there had been an intentional fire where I was working several years ago).
We're not insured, because it was really expensive and my father thought that if the house burned down so be it, never thinking about smoke damage. And from what we've heard the owner of the building next door, where the fire started, isn't insured either. The house is so big that it will be very expensive to get it cleaned by a company.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I've signed up for two apartments, one with one bedroom and one with three, the latter one is the cheapest (probably because it isn't in Utrecht) but I'm seventh in line and for the small apartment I'm first in line. Both have a closing date of the 17th so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can get some emergency status or can get bumped up on the list so we can move into the bigger one.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #22669
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've signed up for two apartments, one with one bedroom and one with three, the latter one is the cheapest (probably because it isn't in Utrecht) but I'm seventh in line and for the small apartment I'm first in line. Both have a closing date of the 17th so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can get some emergency status or can get bumped up on the list so we can move into the bigger one.
Fingers crossed!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #22670
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Fingers crossed!
Thank you. It's all very frustrating. Everybody can understand it's a bad situation but they don't deem it bad enough for help. I've contacted social services, hopefully they can help.
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #22671
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I guess I don't understand emergency status? Does that help cover the cost?

I hope that you are able to move into the new apartment and get out of the smell. Fire damage is awful and tough to clean.

I know it is too late for you guys but I hope that others take away the importance of insurance. It might be expensive but it sure is useful when something goes wrong. I had several friends in grad school who had fires and were not insured. It was awful. My renters insurance was $10 a month for a two bedroom apartment so it was not onerous and I carried it from day one. Home owners insurance was a requirement to get a mortage so we carry it. I have actually insisted that we carry flood insurance (not likely but possible, we have a sump pump in the basement that has been triggered). In California, I would insist on earthquake insurance. It is expensive but if an Earth quake hits and takes out or damages your house, it is worth it.

I guess I look at insurance as a must have, if I cannot afford the insurance, I cannot afford the thing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #22672
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Grr.. My own stupidity!

For some time now I have been using an AeroPress to make my coffee, using rather than the disposable paper filters, a finely perforated stainless steel disc.

I had wondered why on earth it seemed to be getting harder and harder to press down on the plunger, and make my nice hot coffee.

Today I happened to look at the disc and discovered that roughly 95 to 99% of the perforations were blocked! After some heavy duty cleaning (seemed to go best when I used a steam cleaner to blast away at the disc), the holes are all open and coffee flows freely once more.
Peter, I use a cut down cloth filter made from the cloth filters I use in my syphon brewer. I had to run a hem around the resized filter. I buy them in packs of 5 or 6 (forget which) and use each one for a month or so. I tried (and failed) to find the receipt from the place I purchased them as the ones listed on Amazon are waaaay more expensive when shipped to Canada. I bought enough to last for 3 years.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #22673
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I guess I don't understand emergency status? Does that help cover the cost?

I hope that you are able to move into the new apartment and get out of the smell. Fire damage is awful and tough to clean.

I know it is too late for you guys but I hope that others take away the importance of insurance. It might be expensive but it sure is useful when something goes wrong. I had several friends in grad school who had fires and were not insured. It was awful. My renters insurance was $10 a month for a two bedroom apartment so it was not onerous and I carried it from day one. Home owners insurance was a requirement to get a mortage so we carry it. I have actually insisted that we carry flood insurance (not likely but possible, we have a sump pump in the basement that has been triggered). In California, I would insist on earthquake insurance. It is expensive but if an Earth quake hits and takes out or damages your house, it is worth it.

I guess I look at insurance as a must have, if I cannot afford the insurance, I cannot afford the thing.
Emergency status is that you get priority with finding a house with social housing. I've signed up for social housing over 6 years ago and if I see how low I'm on the list for a lot of houses (the longer you're signed up the higher you are on the list) it might take a while before we get something. Yes, there are residences available but they are all in further away villages with bad transport link (neither me nor my sister's got a driving license).

Both my sister and I have urged my father to get more insurance in the past, but he doesn't trust them. The stupid thing is is that the building is owned by my grandmother so my father wouldn't have to pay (everything) when getting an insurance. My uncle has now arranged insurance for the house since the is part of the inheritance when my grandmother dies both he and my aunt will benefit from good insurance.

Earlier this afternoon the forensic expert from the insurance of the landlord next door came by. He says it's highly unlikely that our electrical installation was the cause (since it's switched off) so it was either the electrical installation from the lingerie store, or, something I thought was highly likely from the beginning, that the fire started underneath the light well because it looks like the fire was very hot in that area. It was bricked up except for some venting holes, somehow a cigarette butt or something could have gotten into to there and set the basement on fire.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #22674
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Social services called back. They can't help getting us a house quicker either. The reason: both me and my sister have been on the waiting list for social housing longer than 5 years. I have no idea how that has anything to do with our current situation but that's probably because I'm dense.

Then she basically accused me of being too picky. I wanted to smack her through the phone, I've signed up for two small apartments, both with only one bedroom and one even without central heating. How can you call that picky?!

She is going to send me some flyers about how to search for a house....
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #22675
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it was the places that did not have good transportation
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #22676
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe it was the places that did not have good transportation
Could be, but if we choose a house in those places we can both apply for benefits because we haven't got a driver's license. But even those far away places I'm low on the list so it's no use applying for them.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #22677
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

The system you are in is totally foreign to me. We just rent apartments and buy houses. Public Housing is for people who live below the poverty line. I have never gotten the impression that that is you.

Just a different way of doing things.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #22678
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The system you are in is totally foreign to me. We just rent apartments and buy houses. Public Housing is for people who live below the poverty line. I have never gotten the impression that that is you.

Just a different way of doing things.
I live at home so I have money to spend. I also work for my father, not an official job. If you earn less than €34.229 a year you can apply for social housing. Renting non-social housing is very expensive, at least in our area. I'm now also looking for a job, if that doesn't happen soon, I'll apply for benefits until I find something.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #22679
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Vent & Rant: random school violence and threats of violence. In December schools in Coeur d'Alene,where several of my grandchildren attend, were closed for a day because the fear and rumor levels were so high the kids were afraid to go to school. Now this morning Princeton University, where another granddaughter is a graduate student, is evacuating due to multiple bomb threats. I am so sad and tired.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #22680
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

How is working for you Dad not an offical job?

Not trying to be a wise ass but kind of confused. Different systems and all that.

In the US, you might work in the family business but you still get a pay check. Well, if things are being done legally, you are getting a pay check. You pay taxes and all that fun. The fact that it is a family business is irrelevant.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness