Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Kindle Voyage's flushed screen: is it an improvement? (also, do I need a cover?)

Certainly a screen surface that is perceived to be flush with the rest of the device looks nice, but that aside, is it really a good thing?

Does having a flush surface add another layer over the screen? That would be bad for sharpness and brightness. If it's somehow part of the light-guide or capacity layer, then I guess it's ok.

This image made it look like the actual screen is sunk in, which is bad:

But on the actual device, it doesn't appear so (unless this is a 'simulated' image):

But my biggest worry is that a flush screen is easier to scratch. For example, when you're sliding the device in and out of a bag or pocket, the whole surface gets rubbed on. This is not the case if the screen is sunk in or if the device has a protective case wrap to add a thick lip around the edges. I don't know what kind of glass is on the device, but I hope it's gorilla glass like on the Kindle Fire (if you can believe wikipedia).

Oh just get a cover you may say. When I got my K3, I also got the amazon leather lighted-cover for it. One day I tried it without the cover and it felt like it was now half the weight and much more enjoyable to hold. I suspect it will be the same with the Voyage + cover.

Lets see:
Kindle 3 (8.5oz) + Kindle lighted leather cover (8oz) = 16.5oz
Kindle Voyage (6.6oz) + Amazon Leather Origami Cover (4.8oz) = 11.4oz

So the Voyage + Cover is 2.9oz heavier than the naked K3 but about 5oz lighter than the K3+cover. Decisions... I wonder why the new cover, which has no built-in light, still costs the same as previous covers that do include a light. I wonder if they will make a cover similar to ipad covers where it only covers the screen and not the back so it can be half the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon_Kindle_Voyage_sketch_thumb.jpg
Views:	3381
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	129686   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_voyage_e_reader_theverge_7_1320_0_szqi.jpg
Views:	3402
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	129687  

Last edited by badbob001; 10-14-2014 at 05:17 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If you don't want to get a cover, get a sleeve. You get protection, yet don't have the extra weight while reading.

The pic looks very much like my Nexus 7, in terms of how the screen is flush with the case. I would say that my Nexus screen is the wee-est bit below the case, but it has yet to attract any dirt or debris. Certainly not like my PW2, which I believe actually manufactures its own debris and jams it in the crevices.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I like having a cover. I tried using my K3 (Kindle Keyboard) without the cover and it just feels strange to me.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Oh just get a cover you may say. I wonder if they will make a cover similar to ipad covers where it only covers the screen and not the back so it can be half the weight.
I doubt it, and I don't think it would be a particularly good idea. An iPad has gorilla glass, which is quite difficult to break. An e-ink reader has a fragile thin glass substrate. A back cover on an ereader adds rigidity and reduces the chance of shattering your device.

As others have said, you can grab a sleeve if you don't want a case.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
The Amazon cover connects magnetically, which should make it easy to put on and take off.

To my mind, this makes it a perfect combination of a cover and sleeve. Easy off when I want minimum weight, but on when I am on the move.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My Fires HD , I had 2 are NOT easy to scratch! I was surprised when I got a T-Moble cell phone & the 1st time I put it in my pocket it came out scratched! So IF they using G. Glass with the Voyager you really don't need a cover. BTW I even carried my Fire in my Mobility Scooter basket going thru bumps gravel dirt & grass Rough Rides! I Even dropped keys on them... Not 1 scratch or nick

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I highly recommend some sort of protective cover or case. I bought this inexpensive one which claims to be small and lightweight, with all of the proper cut-outs, and it's fairly inexpensive: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, you need a cover. If you don't have a cover, you are just looking for your Voyage to get broken.

Do you want to spend $200 and then have it get broken because you were too cheap to spend an extra $30-$50 on a protective case (not a sleeve, as they are useless while the Voyage is not in the sleeve).

I have read of too many people having their Readers broken and when asked in they had a case, the answer was no. Granted, it can still be broken with a case, but much more likely without a case.

Think of a case like a seat belt. It's for your protection.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-06-2014 at 12:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
The cover recommended ...well it doesn't show the inside...no way to know how the KV stays in it. How sturdy it is.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's a foolish owner, indeed, who decides not to buy a cover.

This is my opinion, of course.

Do some ebook owners choose not to buy a cover? But, of course!

However: A slip of the hand, a turn of the wrist, an accident with a speeding bus, or a toppling building can only spell disaster.

Your opinion may differ.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Flush Screen = retrograde step

Of course a lot depends on the quality of the image and none of us have seen that and how hard/durable the glass screen turns out to be, and only time will tell on that...

I like the recessed screen on the PW1/2 as the OP points out it protects the screen. I'd bet that with the official cover closed on our PW1 and PW2 for the majority of time there is nothing at all touching the screen.

Hope the Voyage cases have a nice soft none scratch inner surface to protect the glass screen on the Voyage...

On the subject of upgrading - had the price been the same as the PW2 (£109 in the UK) I'd have pre-ordered. At £169 AND a new cover I'm waiting for the reviews. It will have to be REAL special to part me from that much.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's a foolish owner, indeed, who decides not to buy a cover.

This is my opinion, of course.

Do some ebook owners choose not to buy a cover? But, of course!

However: A slip of the hand, a turn of the wrist, an accident with a speeding bus, or a toppling building can only spell disaster.

Your opinion may differ.
Wellll.. we have to differentiate between a cover and sleeve here.

A cover/sleeve for when you transport it in your bag? Definitely.

But a cover to use when reading? Sorry, I do not really see the point there from a protection POV. If it slips out of your hand while reading(*) the sensitive part of the reader - the screen - is already unprotected.
Unless you get lucky and it falls in such a way so it "closes" itself. But especially with the new cover I do not see an high chance for that.

If cover or sleeve depends in the end if you rather having more bulk when reading, but no bother with slipping it in and out of a sleeve or not additional bulk when reading, but more "work" and the start and end of it with slipping it in and out of a sleeve.

Personally I am using a Kindle since the Kindle Keyboard and since then have "killed" 2 Kindles. In first case neither a cover nor sleeve would have saved it, in the second case both a cover or sleeve would have saved it. Since the latter case I am using a sleeve for mine (and reading with my Kindle "naked").

(* Speaking for the Kindle PW, personally I have a better grip on my "naked" one than on the one of my mother, who is using the official cover. Mainly due to the somewhat gummed back of the PW which has IMO more grip than the textured plastic of the hull. So I would say that for me using a cover would actually increase the chance to let it drop accidentally.)
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
A cover/sleeve for when you transport it in your bag? Definitely.

But a cover to use when reading?
How about when you are reading while traveling?

I mostly agree with you, and that's why I am excited to try out the new magnetic connection on the new Voyage cover. Easy to take off when reading in one spot, Easy to put back on when done, and usable when reading while (for example) standing on the bus.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
When I had the K3 with the leather-lighted cover, it was pretty heavy. When I removed it, it became so refreshingly light and smaller, that I lever went back to using the cover. When transporting it in a bag, I would slip it into a just-fit pocket in my bookbag or first put it into a small yellow bubble-wrap mailer.

I didn't really fear about the k3 breaking since it felt like it was built very solidly and I don't read while moving. I don't own an iphone but I hear that the all-glass face is easier to break than phones covered with plastic. I fear the move from k3 to the voyage will be like moving to using an iphone. Iphone cases are popular and adds a bevel around the screen. So maybe voyage case will be made by someone.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have several covers, some quite expensive, but I never use them. I just don't like the added weight. My kindle keyboard goes everywhere in my bookbag safely tucked into a quilted potholder that just fits it. It is easier to slip it in and out of that than either of the sleeves I bought.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote