Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Don't really like the sound of this if I'm understanding it correctly...

I'd prefer not to have stuff pushed at me on my reader.
Ugh....and that sounds like it is not just the SO Kindles with that feature.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_oz View Post
- eye strain, eye strain, eye strain: a million times over. Sure it's not backlit, it's front lit but the lights are still there facing you. After being in front of an LCD screen, iPad, and iPhone most of the day I want to rest my eyes.
The light on the PW is directed down at the screen not out at your eyes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Many Fire users complained about recommendations on the home screen, so Amazon is making them optional:

I'm just hoping that we actually do get a cover view for user content and not just another storefront.
I'm all for optional features so I hope that ends up being the case.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
In the specs at the end, it says the resolution is 758 x 1024. I wonder if that's a typo. The Kobo glow is 768 x 1024 - a standard screen size and proportion/ratio.
The resolution is 758 x 1024, confirmed by SameerH the Kobo rep who posts on MR. See his post here in the Kobo forum why it's 758 and not 768. No doubt geekmaster or one of the other tech-minded guys on here will know what he means, I certainly don't!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The resolution is 758 x 1024, confirmed by SameerH the Kobo rep who posts on MR. See his post here in the Kobo forum why it's 758 and not 768. No doubt geekmaster or one of the other tech-minded guys on here will know what he means, I certainly don't!
Interesting. Well, "higher-yielding cut" means they can get more screens cut from a large sheet. But of course, if they made the screens 100x200 pixels, they'd get even more! I just have a teeny-tiny concern that book covers in the standard 3:4 ratio will not totally fill the screen - there will be a few pixels-wide space above and below the cover image.
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have tried Iriver story HD. The supposed High-Res did not make too much difference except small print. It was not better than 5" Sony reader. Ereaders allow larger font, High-Res screen is somewhat better/needed if a (good) for a new reader.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
- eye strain, eye strain, eye strain: a million times over. Sure it's not backlit, it's front lit but the lights are still there facing you. After being in front of an LCD screen, iPad, and iPhone most of the day I want to rest my eyes.
It will most likely be much the same reading experience we get now with a Kindle and a clip on LED light attached. I don't get eyestrain from a front lit Kindle w/ light. I do get a bit or a lot of eyestrain from backlit LCDs depending on the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
I just have a teeny-tiny concern that book covers in the standard 3:4 ratio will not totally fill the screen - there will be a few pixels-wide space above and below the cover image.
Whenever I look at the library view with covers on Kindle for iPad or K4PC I see every cover size ratio you can imagine, and a few you cannot! My point is there seems to be no standard for cover size ratio being used. Publishers are publishing for multiple digital formats and for multiple devices so you get whatever they decide to use. Besides, since we don't have the option to use the covers for a sleep image, you will rarely see it. In most books you have to manually go to the cover, at least after you start reading. Covers in the library view will be thumbnails and won't take up the whole screen as they will show multiple covers per screen. At least that is how it looks in K4PC and K4iOS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cover view in library, if we get a true library with covers view that will be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I've grown use to using Collections and use to the list view. I think covers might make finding the book a bit faster than reading the list, and it would look pretty cool, but I wonder how few covers would fit on such a tiny screen anyway. Cover view in the Kindle for iPad or K4PC is really nice but in both cases you have a much larger screen to work with, especially with K4PC.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-27-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

BTW, I hope this PDF manual is not the one that comes loaded on the Kindle Paperwhite. You would think that after all these years Amazon would get a clue about huge whitespace in PDFs not looking good on 6" devices.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
On page 14, it appears that comics can be viewed in a panel mode simply by double tapping the panel and then swiping between each panel which exactly how it used on the Kindle Fire. I hope that's true and that it can be used with pdf comic files and not just with the Kindle format 8 files.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like it that the aA/GoTo/XRay/Share options appear at the top of the screen, rather than the bottom as with Kindle Touch, Since you need to tap at the top to bring up the menus/options, your finger will already be poised where it will tap next. On KT you had to move all the way down to the bottom to access the options.

Note that image/table pan/zoom is already there on KT, for KF8 format. Perhaps that works with mobi format now too. Probably too much to hope that SVG content zooms properly. It does not do this properly now, at least on the devices I've tried it on so far.

Looks like you can toggle Home view between Cover and List view. Wonder if it will display covers for PDOCs (when properly embedded).

All in all it seems not very different from KT. Hopefully the KT will merit an update to integrate some of the PW refinements, as well as fixed-layout support and the Whispersync feature to the KT Audible player.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
I'm interested but still VERY concerned about:
-that it might have the same problems as the NookGlo with white dots on the screen.
According to this post, the KPW's capacitive touch screen is more durable than the Glowlight's IR touch screen, and doesn't show signs of damage when keys are dropped on the screen from six inches.

Quote:
That's the first time I've heard someone refer to a 90-degree angle as "facing you." If it's front lit, then by definition you're looking at reflective light. The light source is at the edge, and the light bounces between the page and the inner surface of the light guide film. As another responder said, it would be like looking at current Kindle (or paper book for that matter) with a clip-on light.

Quote:
-How delicate will it be? Kindles are delicate enough as they are, my Nook has been checked in twice on the front pocket of my suitcase (forgot it was there) and has survived long trips and the gentleness of baggage handlers in UK and AU.
See above.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Surprised the press hasnt' been given PW's to review ahead of the general release. It happened with the KFHD.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I love the diff between iPad glowing shinny screen versus the Nice flat e-Ink on the Nook.. way less eye strain.. no comparison.. just my 3 cents.. the less eye strain of Nook was my biggest reason to dump iPad for Books and try Nook and or Kindle etc.. I will use iPad for Magazines as the color factor of Magazines is Important.. but just to read a book.. Nook or Kindle etc is the deal.. comments and feedback much appreciated..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 09-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I also just heard that Obama family uses Kindle/Nook type books! I don't know if it's true.. but sounds believable..

Last edited by MrDoug; 09-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #30
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I also just heard that Obama family uses Kindle/Nook type books! I don't know if it's true.. but sounds believable..
True or not, it wouldn't exactly be something to get excited about... E-readers are mass-market devices that are easy to use. It's not a stretch to believe that the Obamas read ebooks.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote