Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Does it feature a plucky young heroine? (Dystopias with PYHs are big these days)
Is thirty-something young?

It is to me, but I'm not a Hollywood exec...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I wouldn't worry about dystopia ever becoming non-profitable—in 5, 15, or 35 years. Do you really think it's just a fad? It's been a consistent moneymaker since Soylent Green (and probably much earlier).
(Not that I'm saying this movie is a sure bet by any means)
Yes, we seem to have a fascination with our doom.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Yes, we seem to have a fascination with our doom.
Which one? We have so many.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Heh. You're an optomist. For every movie made, there's a hundred that have money spent putting them in production. For every movie in production, there's a hundred movies that get scripts written. And for every script written, there's probably a thousand books optioned. In many cases, a studio will option a book because they've got something else in production that's similiar, and they want to make sure the book they option isn't turned in to a movie in time to compete.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/.../awaydays-film

Kevin Sampson's account of getting his (brilliant) book made into a (not very great) movie. Warning - will put you off using hedge-trimmers.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #20
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i want movie(s) made from the Nightrunner series author mentioned it before, but had to back down since they couldn't get a financier
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Sonds like an intersting read. But i can't find the book somewhere I can get it. Amazon wrong format, Apple have drm i can't read, barnes and noble is US-only...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Sonds like an intersting read. But i can't find the book somewhere I can get it. Amazon wrong format, Apple have drm i can't read, barnes and noble is US-only...
Calibre and Apprentice Alf?????
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Apprentice Alf not necessary. I do believe the books are DRM-free (at Amazon at least).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-22-2012 at 06:56 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Apprentice Alf not necessary. I do believe the books are DRM-free (at Amazon at least).
I don't want to bother converting. Not my job as a customer. And calibre converted ePub usually needs some time with sigil to get something correct.

Guess i'll just read something else.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-23-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't want to bother converting. Not my job as a customer. And calibre converted ePub usually needs some time with sigil to get something correct.

Your choice of course... just throwing out options.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
He's just coming off having it as an Amazon exclusive recently so hopefully he'll add Smashwords into the mix soon, although he's not happy with his sales at the other outlets .vs the benefits he got from being only at Amazon so who knows he may go back the other way.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He's just coming off having it as an Amazon exclusive recently so hopefully he'll add Smashwords into the mix soon, although he's not happy with his sales at the other outlets .vs the benefits he got from being only at Amazon so who knows he may go back the other way.
What kind of benefits can you get from being amazon only ? Seam like a lose-lose situation to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
What kind of benefits can you get from being amazon only ? Seam like a lose-lose situation to me.
He had it available in the Kindle Lending Library and it had a huge effect on the books rankings as apparently a lot of people were borrowing it which then led to more sales plau Amazon pays something??? each time the book is borrowed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He had it available in the Kindle Lending Library and it had a huge effect on the books rankings as apparently a lot of people were borrowing it which then led to more sales plau Amazon pays something??? each time the book is borrowed.
According to this post it was $2.48/download, so not bad. At $2.99 for a book you would only get $2.09 if you sold the book through Amazon (I think the 70% rate applies for this price range?), so it does make at least some sense to do this. At least for a while to get some name recognition.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #30
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:

So for Hugh Howey (the author), there goes that market that gives about 1% of a crap about his book. He's made it available at a good price, without DRM, and all you have to do is load it into Calibre, click a button and send it to your device. Less trouble by far than, say, driving to a store to buy a printed book.

But you don't care that much. That's fine! Really, I'm not being sarcastic. There's a bar that you have to get over to buy any book, and Howey's set the bar a little too high for you. Nothing wrong with that at all.

In return, for 90 days he gets to promote his book through Amazon with free days, he gets it listed on the Kindle Lending Library where people can borrow it for free (but he gets $2.48 or so for each loan), and there's the always mysterious effect on the Amazon algorithms.

He's made a business decision. Lose the 1% that won't cross the street to buy his book, in order to gain exposure to a wider audience that doesn't have to cross the street to buy his book.

So you read something else, he sells to many other customers. It's a numbers game.

As for the movie option...hey, tell me about it. I've optioned my book five times. Howey is in a whole different ball game, though. Ridley Scott and screenwriter Steve Zaillian (Google him) are major players, the kinds of people who attract money, who can get movies made. This kind of option is a big deal indeed.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote