Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
fastboot for win32

UPDATE: The name of this thread has changed to show that it has evolved into a kindle debricking solution that uses a new kindle fastboot for windows tool. This thread started as a search for a solution to the problem of a kindle dropping out of fastboot mode when you change the host PC from windows (for MfgTool) to linux (for fastboot). Using this new tool, you can now stay in windows for both steps, with no risk of your kindle dropping out of fastboot mode.

You can download fastboot for windows (thanks to hostar) here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2000997

Each kindle needs its own set of libusb-win32 device drivers installed, to work with fastboot for windows. There are multiple ways to do this, and multiple versions of libusb drivers for windows. You can read some details about how *I* installed them for my K4 and Touch here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2001621

And you can read step-by-step details about how PoetCop debricked his Kindle Touch using fastboot for windows here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2002101

ORIGINAL FIRST POST:
Spoiler:
There are people who need to move the kindle from a windows host PC that sets fastboot mode with MfgTool, and a different linux host PC to run the linux fastboot program.

The problem is that when the USB port is disconnected from the kindle while in fastboot mode, it immediately drops out of fastboot mode, and sits waiting at a bist> prompt on the serial port. At this point the kindle needs a long power reset to reboot it out of bist mode.

While trying to save "fastboot" to the idme var on mmc from inside a custom u-boot bootloader, rebooting the kindle just will not boot to fastboot mode. Rather than trying to find a way to debug a custom u-boot, I just got the idea to see if the kindle will stay in fastboot mode if you continue to supply power to the USB port while switching host PCs.

This could be done by putting a powered (with external power supply) USB hub between the kindle and the windows host PC before setting fastboot boot, then unplugging the powered hub USB cable from the windows host PC and moving the hub to a linux host PC without removing power from the hub.

I cannot find a powered USB hub right now, so could somebody test this for me and post the results here?

1) plug powered USB hub into power source.
2) plug kindle into USB hub.
3) plug USB hub into windows PC.
3) use MfgTool (with SelectBoot custom profiles) to setthe kindle to fastboot mode.
4) unplug the USB hub from the host PC only.
5) wait 20 seconds.
6) plug the USB hub into any host PC (windows or linux) and see if the kindle is detected as a kindle fastboot device (VID/PID 0x1949/0xd0d0).

--- and finally ---
7) post your results to this thread.

Thanks...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bummer!

I just realized that one of my LCD displays has a built-in USB hub that I have never used before.

When a kindle is plugged into a USB port on the LCD display, and the display USB is plugged into a host PC, I set fastboot mode from windows with MfgTool. I have a serial terminal open while monitoring serial output from the kindle.

As soon as I disconnect the host PC from the LCD USB hub, the serial display immediately shows that fastboot dropped out and the kindle is sitting at a u-boot bist> prompt, just like when no USB hub is used.

Oh well... it was worth trying, but another dead end...

EDIT: For now, the only way to use MfgTool and fastboot is to run either linux or windows in a Virtual Machine (emulator), or to get fastboot working in cygwin on windows.

*** Has anybody gotten the cygwin version of yifanlu's kindle fastboot tool working correctly?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-07-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
We should try to emulate MfgTool with libusb, I think to recall you said there's a reference implementation from RockBox... I was thinking about adding support to MfgTool for the kindle 3, instead of using a different tool, and then move everything to a linux native tool... time permitting
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
*** Has anybody gotten the cygwin version of yifanlu's kindle fastboot tool working correctly? [/COLOR]
I didn't, but I think the problem is in AdbWinApi.dll library. I found some another free USB library
libusb-win32
and I think it's worth to try to rewrite the code to make fastboot.exe work with this library. I've already start to rewriting this, but it's quite much work to do and I don't have experience with hardware controlling.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I didn't, but I think the problem is in AdbWinApi.dll library. I found some another free USB library
libusb-win32
and I think it's worth to try to rewrite the code to make fastboot.exe work with this library. I've already start to rewriting this, but it's quite much work to do and I don't have experience with hardware controlling.
I looked at it a bit last night too. libusb-win32 comes with example code, and it might help to compare that to yifanlu's kindle fastboot usb_windows.c (or perhaps us usb_linux.c instead of usb_windows.c).

I was trying to build a native win32 fastboot using MinGW/msys instead of cygwin.
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

OK, announcing some progress.
Now I'm able to see Kindle in fastboot in Windows with libusb-win32 library.
There is needed to install custom driver by this steps:
1) In libusb-win32 directory in bin is file called "inf-wizard.exe"
2) Put Kindle to fastboot, run inf-wizard.exe
3) Click Next, Kindle should appear in list, select it
4) Click several Next, make new directory and save there Kindle.inf
5) Click "Install now..." and wait
6) Now libusb-win32 should see Kindle and in Windows Device Manager should be Kindle under "libusb-win32 devices" without any driver error (without yellow exclamation mark)

I was trying to run by this way original yifanlu's fastboot with android drivers, I even tried change drivers a little, but with no luck.
But now I really believe, that with libusb will fastboot work in Windows.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
We should try to emulate MfgTool with libusb, I think to recall you said there's a reference implementation from RockBox... I was thinking about adding support to MfgTool for the kindle 3, instead of using a different tool, and then move everything to a linux native tool... time permitting
You do not need to implement all the mfgtool features. Freescale has a smaller open source sb_downloader program in C++, but I could not get it to work. The rockbox one is a MUCH simpler C program, which I got talking to my kindle in USB downloader mode, but it is a linux program. I want a win32 program like MfgTool, except for both usb downloader and fastboot modes. Don't ask why -- I just want it...

I also have libusb-win32 installed in my WinXP VM and talking to my kindle. I had to run its inf installer and tell it to use VID/PID 1949/D0D0. I have a screenshot of its testlibusb-win.exe output that uses this driver:

As you can see, windows programs CAN talk to the kindle in fastboot mode, as the output from testlibusb-win.exe shows above. The Manufacturer and Product (Amazon Kindle) and the serial number are requested from the kindle over USB by the libusb-win32 device driver, and are displayed above.

I redacted (blacked-out) part of my pcbsn (the device serial number reported in fastboot mode).

Now, the obvious next step is to integrate this with the Kindle fastboot source code, to make a fully win32 version that does not need cygwin, and while we are at it, we should make a GUI wrapper for it too.

The short-term goal here is to have a fastboot version that runs in the same windows environment as MfgTool, so there is no need to unplug the kindle USB port which terminates fastboot mode. Currently, you really need linux and windows to coexist on one computer (one running in a VM in VirtualBox, or side-by-side using coLinux).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You do not need to implement all the mfgtool features. Freescale has a smaller open source sb_downloader program in C++, but I could not get it to work. The rockbox one is a MUCH simpler C program, which I got talking to my kindle in USB downloader mode, but it is a linux program.
Could you direct me towards this little program? I've tried looking for it on google but couldn't identify it. Thanks.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
geekmaster

Here is the original:
And here is a copy that I modified a bit to report kindles it detects in various modes:
PHP Code:
/***************************************************************************
 *             __________               __   ___.
 *   Open      \______   \ ____   ____ |  | _\_ |__   _______  ___
 *   Source     |       _//  _ \_/ ___\|  |/ /| __ \ /  _ \  \/  /
 *   Jukebox    |    |   (  <_> )  \___|    < | \_\ (  <_> > <  <
 *   Firmware   |____|_  /\____/ \___  >__|_ \|___  /\____/__/\_ \
 *                     \/            \/     \/    \/            \/
 * $Id$
 * Copyright (C) 2010 Amaury Pouly
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
 * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 * This software is distributed on an "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
 * KIND, either express or implied.
 ****************************************************************************/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <libusb.h>
//#include <usb.h>
#include <stdint.h>

void put32le(uint8_t *bufuint32_t i)
{
buf++ = 0xff;
buf++ = (>> 8) & 0xff;
buf++ = (>> 16) & 0xff;
buf++ = (>> 24) & 0xff;
}

void put32be(uint8_t *bufuint32_t i)
{
buf++ = (>> 24) & 0xff;
buf++ = (>> 16) & 0xff;
buf++ = (>> 8) & 0xff;
buf++ = 0xff;
}

struct dev_info_t
{

uint16_t vendor_id;

uint16_t product_id;

unsigned xfer_size;
};

struct dev_info_t g_dev_info[] =
{
    {
0x15A20x00521024}, /* i.MX50 USB Downloader */

{0x19490x00041024}, /* lab126 Kindle USB Drive */

{0x19490xD0D01024}, /* lab126 fastboot */
};

int main(int argcchar **argv)
{

int ret;

FILE *f;

int ixfer_sizenr_xfersrecv_size;

if(
argc != 3)
    {

printf("usage: %s <xfer size> <file>\n"argv[0]);

printf("If <xfer size> is set to zero, the preferred one is used.\n");
        return 
1;
    }

char *end;

xfer_size strtol(argv[1], &end0);
    if(
end != (argv[1] + strlen(argv[1])))
    {

printf("Invalid transfer size !\n");
        return 
1;
    }

libusb_device_handle *dev;

libusb_init(NULL);

libusb_set_debug(NULL3);

for(
unsigned i 0sizeof(g_dev_info) / sizeof(g_dev_info[0]); i++)
    {

dev libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(NULL,

g_dev_info[i].vendor_idg_dev_info[i].product_id);
        if(
dev == NULL)
            continue;
        if(
xfer_size == 0)

xfer_size g_dev_info[i].xfer_size;

printf("Found a match for %04x:%04x\n",

g_dev_info[i].vendor_idg_dev_info[i].product_id);
        break;
    }
    if(
dev == NULL)
    {

printf("Cannot open device\n");
        return 
1;
    }

libusb_detach_kernel_driver(dev0);

libusb_detach_kernel_driver(dev4);

libusb_claim_interface (dev0);

libusb_claim_interface (dev4);

if(!
dev)
    {

printf("No dev\n");
        exit(
1);
    }

fopen(argv[2], "r");
    if(
== NULL)
    {

perror("cannot open file");
        return 
1;
    }

fseek(f0SEEK_END);

size_t size ftell(f);

fseek(f0SEEK_SET);

printf("Transfer size: %d\n"xfer_size);

nr_xfers = (size xfer_size 1) / xfer_size;

uint8_t *file_buf malloc(nr_xfers xfer_size);

memset(file_buf0xffnr_xfers xfer_size); // pad with 0xff

if(fread(file_bufsize1f) != 1)
    {

perror("read error");

fclose(f);
        return 
1;
    }

fclose(f);

uint8_t *xfer_buf malloc(xfer_size);

uint8_t *xfer_buf;

p++ = 0x01;         /* Report id */

/* Command block wrapper */

*p++ = 'B';          /* Signature */

*p++ = 'L';
p++ = 'T';
p++ = 'C';

put32le(p0x1);     /* Tag */

+= 4;

put32le(psize);    /* Payload size */

+= 4;
p++ = 0;            /* Flags (host to device) */

+= 2;              /* Reserved */

/* Command descriptor block */

*p++ = 0x02;         /* Firmware download */

put32be(psize);    /* Download size */

ret libusb_control_transfer(dev

LIBUSB_REQUEST_TYPE_CLASS LIBUSB_RECIPIENT_INTERFACE0x90x2010,

xfer_bufxfer_size 11000);
    if(
ret 0)
    {

printf("transfer error at init step\n");
        return 
1;
    }

for(
0nr_xfersi++)
    {

xfer_buf[0] = 0x2;

memcpy(&xfer_buf[1], &file_buf[xfer_size], xfer_size);

ret libusb_control_transfer(dev

LIBUSB_REQUEST_TYPE_CLASS LIBUSB_RECIPIENT_INTERFACE

0x90x2020xfer_bufxfer_size 11000);
        if(
ret 0)
        {

printf("transfer error at send step %d\n"i);
            return 
1;
        }
    }

ret libusb_interrupt_transfer(dev0x81xfer_bufxfer_size, &recv_size,

1000);
    if(
ret 0)
    {

printf("transfer error at final stage\n");
        return 
1;
    }

printf("ret %i\n"ret);

return 
0;

And here is my Makefile:
PHP Code:
DEFINES=-DCRYPTO_LIBUSB
CC
=gcc
LD
=gcc
CFLAGS
=--std=c99 --Wall `pkg-config --cflags libusb-1.0` $(DEFINES)
LDFLAGS=`pkg-config --libs libusb-1.0`
BINS=sbloader fastboot

all
: $(BINS)

%.
o: %.c

$(CC) $(CFLAGS) --$@ $<

sbloadersbloader.o

$(LD) -$@ $^ $(LDFLAGS)

fastbootfastboot.o

$(LD) -$@ $^ protocol.o engine.o util_linux.o usb_linux.-lpthread

clean
:

rm -fr *.o

veryclean
:

rm -rf $(BINS
Enjoy!

EDIT: My simple modifications to this sbloader.c program are not yet complete. It is one of my many "in-progress" projects. It needs more work to upload files to the kindle. And the makefile is for a version or fastboot that has similar changes. I plan to merge them to support both usb downloader and fastboot in one program, to simplify the "simple debricking" process. And I want to add a GUI wrapper too.

EDIT: Notice in the Makefile that you need to install libusb-1.0 to compile this.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
hostar
Zealot

geekmaster: I just want to ask, if I should continue in developing Windows fastboot.

So far, now I'm able to get and set variable and reboot device over fastboot.
I haven't tested writing raw data yet. (because I'm little scared from bricking )

Last edited by hostar; 03-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
geekmaster: I just want to ask, if I should continue in developing Windows fastboot.

So far, now I'm able to get and set variable and reboot device over fastboot.
I haven't tested writing raw data yet. (because I'm little scared from bricking )
You want my advice about whether to continue? Well, yes, of course, continue!

I would like to try your code. I have a serial connection on mine so I am less afraid.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-11-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
hostar
Zealot

fastboot_win_alpha.zip deleted and deprecated, for full version of fastboot for Windows go here.

Original post under spoiler
Spoiler:
Fine. I was asking because I didn't know, if you aren't working on it too, and for example, in half, I would saw, that you already made it.

Now I have encountered with unexpected problem: I can't open file with partition backup.

Attaching EXE and source that should work under MinGW.
For build run "make.bat". Three harmless warning appear.
You also need libusb0.dll in appropriate Windows dir according to 32 or 64 bit.
make.bat is made for 32 bit.

EDIT: flash partition will not work at all, but you can try to fix file handling
Also some debug output appear with every run.

Last edited by hostar; 03-13-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Fine. I was asking because I didn't know, if you aren't working on it too, and for example, in half, I would saw, that you already made it.
I have so many projects in various states of "not finished", and this is just one of them, so any assistance on making forward progress is greatly appreciated. I will look at this when I get some time, and perhaps merge it with my unfinished code base. Thanks!

P.S. Your karma just jumped to 2600.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Attaching EXE and source that should work under MinGW.
For build run "make.bat". Three harmless warning appear.
You also need libusb0.dll in appropriate Windows dir according to 32 or 64 bit.
make.bat is made for 32 bit.
Hi Hostar, glad you're working on this! I unzipped it on a Windows XP SP3 machine, and added libusb0.dll to the directory. Running fastboot by itself popped up the help text as expected. But with my Kindle connected in fastboot mode, running "fastboot getvar serial" produced no output, not even "<waiting for device>". It just hung. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a different command I could try? I didn't know where to get libusb0.dll from, so I went to www.dll-files.com. I am on a Mac pro with an XP bootcamp partition.
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok, that was dumb - I should take a minute to learn about concepts I don't understand! The proper way to get libusb0.dll is to go here
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusb-win32/wiki
and follow the instructions, which will include booting the Kindle into fastboot mode. There is no actual libusb0.dll file involved, it's installed automatically by the tool they provided. I can post more details if anyone on my beginner level is trying to retrace my steps.

But the upshot is that the windows fastboot tool works, at least a little bit, and at last I am talking to my severely bricked Kindle!! Thanks hostar! fastboot getvar bootmode and getvar serial both work. It at least thinks that setvar bootmode works, although I haven't seen much difference so far in my black screen of death when I reboot with either diags, main or factory. Since you mention flashing partitions doesn't work at the moment, I'll hold off on trying any of those commands until those are ready to go. But pleased by the first progress in a couple of weeks!
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote