Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please turn Tidy off by default

One thing that would r4eally help Sigil is if Tidy is turned off by default. CDATA styles Tidy creates are annoying and totally worthless. Styles belong in the CSS, not in every/almost every XML file. Can this be fixed so Tidy never does this or can Sigil be set so the default (when installed) is for Tidy to be off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing that would r4eally help Sigil is if Tidy is turned off by default. CDATA styles Tidy creates are annoying and totally worthless. Styles belong in the CSS, not in every/almost every XML file. Can this be fixed so Tidy never does this or can Sigil be set so the default (when installed) is for Tidy to be off?
Open Sigil (no book), make your status, toolbar layout changes, open TOC and Book Browser windows and Exit using the RED X
(For some reason, that saves the last state, where exiting via the file menu does not always work)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
One thing that would really help Sigil is if Tidy is turned off by default. CDATA styles Tidy creates are annoying and totally worthless.
Actually i didn't want to turn off all of tidy, but turning the automatic style-creation off by user-setting would be an great improvement.

It's most annoying is to have a "sgc-1=italic" in one file and a "sgc-1=bold" in an other file.

Of course using a central style-sheet for sgc-codes would be nice.

I hope, one of the developers reads this an put it on the wish-list. (Prio high )
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Open Sigil (no book), make your status, toolbar layout changes, open TOC and Book Browser windows and Exit using the RED X
(For some reason, that saves the last state, where exiting via the file menu does not always work)
I have done that for Sigil here on the desktop and laptop. But I want it done for everyone who uses Sigil. I've just recently started seeing ePub sold that were edited with Sigil and the XML styles that Tidy generates is a bother.

mmat1 says it very well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
Actually i didn't want to turn off all of tidy, but turning the automatic style-creation off by user-setting would be an great improvement.

It's most annoying is to have a "sgc-1=italic" in one file and a "sgc-1=bold" in an other file.

Of course using a central style-sheet for sgc-codes would be nice.

I hope, one of the developers reads this an put it on the wish-list. (Prio high )
Turn off automatic style-creation and don't allow it back on.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But I want it done for everyone who uses Sigil.
How charitable of you.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How charitable of you.
All it does is take perfectly good code and makes it into not perfectly good code. I think it's a bug more then a feature.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Especially when you only want to have a paragraph in italic and its not worth to have a special class for this, the tidy generates always <p class="sgc-1>...</p> instead of just letting the <i> or <b> where it is.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
But I want it done for everyone who uses Sigil.
Turn off automatic style-creation and don't allow it back on.
IMHO, it should:
  1. Be a user set preference (not a workaround/kluge to save previous state).
  2. Be off by default in a new installation.
  3. Should NEVER alter a newly opened document without presenting a warning dialog stating that it will be altering the document and giving the user a chance to cancel.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
I've just recently started seeing ePub sold that were edited with Sigil and the XML styles that Tidy generates is a bother.
A lot of other projects also use Tidy.

This is one of those things that I hear about vehemently from both sides. It stays until there is a plugin interface where you will have to run it manually. That said it's not going away and people will still use it even if it's not on by default.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
A lot of other projects also use Tidy.

This is one of those things that I hear about vehemently from both sides. It stays until there is a plugin interface where you will have to run it manually. That said it's not going away and people will still use it even if it's not on by default.
But can Tidy be modified or configured such that it doesn't create these style sheets in every XML? I don't want them. And it seems others don't want them as well.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I would rather have a Sigil.css file rather than the varied styles that get spread bout the pages.
The current way make a global S&R very difficult... Read near impossible since I have seen some tags in chapters) HAVE SGC codes and others have none (and it is not obvious why that happened
At least with a central Sigil.CSS, the same code and my adjustments are simplified.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Personally, I would rather have a Sigil.css file rather than the varied styles that get spread bout the pages.
What happens when you merge files with different styles on the same code ?

@user_none: I've seen several good ideas within this thread to make tidy / sigil css-creation a bit more user-friendly. Could you please consider to do something ?
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The current way make a global S&R very difficult... Read near impossible since I have seen some tags in chapters) HAVE SGC codes and others have none (and it is not obvious why that happened
At least with a central Sigil.CSS, the same code and my adjustments are simplified.
Why do we need a Sigil generated CSS when the code was perfectly fine before Tidy decided to mess with it?

<p class="tx"><i>This is my italicized paragraph.</i></p>

Becomes...

<p class="tx sgc-1">This is my italicized paragraph.</p>

There was nothing wrong with the original code. And I agree that it does make S/R difficult. So if you had a sigil.css, it would still be changing the class in my example. Still not good.

My solution is to keep Tidy off. But really, do we actually need Tidy to mess with the code? FlightCrew can tell us what's wrong and let us fix it. Tidy just (currently) gets in the way and messes up perfectly valid code.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
What happens when you merge files with different styles on the same code ?

@user_none: I've seen several good ideas within this thread to make tidy / sigil css-creation a bit more user-friendly. Could you please consider to do something ?
A Mess
SGC-1 on one page may be bold italic
SGC-1 on another may be underline
and SGC-2 is bold italic
As I see it. SGC codes are currently assigned: First need, First Assigned order on a per sheet basis
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I am a new user of Sigil, and have to agree that Tidy messes up with my own code that I spent time doing just right before opening it up in Sigil. Turning it off is not that difficult though once you are aware of the issue.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote