Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
CuzManJ
CuzManJ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 RC
ebook library overseas ....

Well 1st off let me hi to everyone here. I recent new owner of a PRS-600. I'm already upset with Sony. Just found out thru Sony online support that I can't buy books thru there software cause I'm overseas (Military). So now I on the search for another place to buy books with good prices. I have used the 600 a little bit with a PDF book that I had. So far I like it but need more time & books to really know. This is my first e-reader

Below is the transcript from Sony online support

Curtis_ > Are you currently in the U.S.?

Jay > no

Curtis_ > May I know from where you are trying to access the eBook Store?

Jay > Iraq

Curtis_ > Jay, you can purchase an eBook from the eBook Store only when you are either in the U.S. or in Canada using a U.S. or Canada Credit Card.

Jay > Well that sucks, I using a U.S. credit card with a U.S. Address but I guess that dosn't matter

Jay > sony just lost my business, I won't be back in the US for a least 6 months

Curtis_ > The eBook Store uses Geo-IP technology to identify where you are located based on the location of your internet service provider (ISP). This is done to ensure that eBooks are only sold to customers who reside in countries where the titles have been cleared for sale.

Curtis_ > Jay, it is required to be in the U.S. to purchase eBooks from the eBook Store using a U.S Credit Card.
CuzManJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
Hi CuzManJ

there are tons of places and many of them are very good. about buying i honestly dont know which one is the best as im as well oversea.

but to keep you reading until you figured a way out to buy something let me give you a couple of things.

all of them are FREE and LEGAL !

a) http://www.feedbooks.com/
b) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=126

take care and if you a question or need some books write me a PN

Joe
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzManJ View Post
Curtis_ > The eBook Store uses Geo-IP technology to identify where you are located based on the location of your internet service provider (ISP). This is done to ensure that eBooks are only sold to customers who reside in countries where the titles have been cleared for sale.
It does? Doesn't work then....

You've got a US address and a US credit card. That should be enough. Sony sound like they're being idiots.

If they really do have some sort of GeoIP then just setup a VPN - I'm sure there's already one where you are for just that kind of situation (you can't be the first to be hit by such restrictions).

Last edited by Tony Hoyle; 11-03-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
pjhaas
pjhaas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket PRS-300
This is a problem which should really be addressed. I bought a Sony PRS-300 today and tried to buy a book I've been wanting to read. The Sony eBook library software directs directly into a Dutch book store, which signed a contract with Sony. The book ('Born to Run', Knopf publishing) is not available in the Dutch store but it is in the US store. I really want to buy this book, but I can't. Wrong region and wrong credit card. It's so silly.

What can I do? I tried to find a copy on bittorrent but couldn't find one. I will try to buy this e-book in a US online e-book store and fake my address. Hopefully I can still use my Dutch credit card to make the purchase.

Since I hardly read Dutch books, I'm sure I will encounter these restrictions on a regular base. It's really annoying when you want to buy and read a particular title. Come on, let us buy those e-books worldwide! I have money burning in my pocket.
pjhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
First, I think you should write to Sony customer service and copy some news places like Teleread, Wired, CNET, etc.... I'm sure a Sony won't let a deployed US Service man buy ebooks in their store is a story they won't want told.

That said, have you tried BooksOnBoard.com? They sell Adobe ePub and the restrictions are based on the Address you provide them.

There are also some other places, smashwords and cyberread?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhaas View Post
The book ('Born to Run', Knopf publishing) is not available in the Dutch store but it is in the US store. I really want to buy this book, but I can't. Wrong region and wrong credit card. It's so silly.
You can buy this book on Shortcovers (here), with your regular address and credit card.

Also on the subject, in Dutch: a relevant post on another forum (here).

Enjoy
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Check this out, it sounds as though it might be just what you need atm:

Operation Ebook Drop - for military folk serving overseas

Or, to summarise - you can get hold of some free-for-you ebooks by emailing ed#w#pat# @ #att#. #net (take out all the #s and spaces)
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
pjhaas

@quisvir: Thanks! Worked like a breeze! My faith in humanity has been restored. It just took me 5 minutes to buy this e-book. Got a bit confused by the .acsm file format, but ended up with a ePub soon enough.

However, I still can't read it on my Sony Reader because of this problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59083

Aargh!

Update: half an hour later. Went through the whole process of installing ADE again on my little Windows netbook and I successfully authorized my Reader and transferred the ebook. It works, but it sucks big time I cannot transfer DRM'ed ePub ebooks from my two main computers, both Macs. I thought this "PC-only" thing was way behind us in 2009.

Last edited by pjhaas; 11-04-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
This is a problem which should really be addressed. I bought a Sony PRS-300 today and tried to buy a book I've been wanting to read. The Sony eBook library software directs directly into a Dutch book store, which signed a contract with Sony. The book ('Born to Run', Knopf publishing) is not available in the Dutch store but it is in the US store. I really want to buy this book, but I can't. Wrong region and wrong credit card. It's so silly.
I'm also a Dutch reader and I noticed that if you change the region in eBook Library (edit > preferences) to United States and restart the program you get the US ebookstore. I've downloaded some of the freebies that way. You can try to see if it allows you to buy books that way.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Try BooksOnBoard - they don't mind where you are accessing the site from as long as your credit card and address are US based. They might be a little more expensive than Sony but the Rewards Dollars scheme is pretty good.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #11
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
oh and agree with pilotbob that you should publicise it as not selling to our boys overseas is pretty cruddy of Sony. They should have some special method for that.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #12
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Can't the military fix that IP geo thingie so that it looks like you're actually at home? I'd guess they use super-modern technology to get you internet access without resorting to local providers.

Have you tried using a proxy server?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
There really should be a PX shortcut for folks in the military. If anyone has the right to say they're US-based, they have. That Sony response to Cuz is a scandal. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
It works, but it sucks big time I cannot transfer DRM'ed ePub ebooks from my two main computers, both Macs. I thought this "PC-only" thing was way behind us in 2009.
Do you have the V3.0 Sony Library software installed on your Mac? It was my understanding that they'd bundled the necessary functionality from ADE into that, so you should be able to use a Mac. It might be that I've been lucky or already got things setup on Windows, but 've certainly been able to download protected ePub's from an online library direct to my Mac then onto my 505 without needing to go via a Windows system.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
pjhaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'm also a Dutch reader and I noticed that if you change the region in eBook Library (edit > preferences) to United States and restart the program you get the US ebookstore. I've downloaded some of the freebies that way. You can try to see if it allows you to buy books that way.
Tried it but I can't access the US Store that way. Apparently the store registers the IP-address and sees when you're outside the USA. You mean, you tried it and it worked?