Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #196
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^that, and it is lighter, so less weight to lug around.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #197
kzod
kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kzod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW
Just got the $8.80 one from aliexpress. Beautiful case. As has been said it is significantly lighter and smaller than Amazon's case. But there will be a battery cost as this one is a crapshoot as far as putting the Kindle to sleep. Really need to move it around before it decides it's time to go to sleep (so, I'll most likely depend on luck/ auto sleep after x minutes). But, I decided I preferred this case, so I gave my wife my official amazon case.
kzod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #198
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitrucz View Post
Overall I like the case in how slim it is but the magnet is very weak and the cover sometimes doesn’t stay closed.
edit: What I posted here before actually wasn't true, it does stay closed when turning it upside down, one corner of my unit wasn't pressed all the way down, which made it more difficult for the magnet to hold it together. Incorrect stuff in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
The official case isn't much better when it comes to that. It doesn't stay closed when you turn it upside down and even just slightly tilting it that way opens it up.

I'd love to provide a more in depth comparison between the one you got and the official amazon one, but mine still hasn't arrived yet. Ordered on the 27th of november, shipped the day after day, left China on the 30th and not a single change since then. Not the seller's fault, but annoying anyways.

Anyways, the official one is pretty weighty but solidly built. The plastic is very thick (hence the weight, I assume) and the build quality in general is great. Sturdier than I would have expected, even though the front with the screen isn't protected as well against things pushing into it, e.g. in a fully packed backpad.

Last edited by fauxpas; 01-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #199
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I got this one but the right side sticks up in the air toward the middle as it doesn't quite fit properly. Not quite enough depth molded into the pocket, it may or may not stretch in but it doesn't look like it will.
I ordered it before I got my kindle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BLAC...item25768a8d54

After I got the kindle I tried it in my K4 case and found it fit. The old case I cut the side and bottom out more with scissors/utility knife and also cut off the piece that folds over and snaps as it was in my way when I was reading. The bottom part I cut is just the area under the buttons so I left those fancy corner pieces in place. For the K4 i cut off the right side ( just above and below the page buttons ) the same way to allow access to the fwd/reverse page buttons. It has more of a stiff solid build to it and works better for me. I like the feel of a book as I read, old habits I guess. I ordered another which I will cut the same way to use with my new PW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Leat...item415eb272a7

Last edited by BobKat; 01-09-2013 at 09:18 AM.
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #200
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
I also have ordered the one from aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/211496346.html), I bought two pieces for 8,20$ piece. Hope I'll be a little more lucky with the sleep function, or else I just need to wait for it to autosleep. I'm also waiting for the PW to arrive.

Do you guys think there is a way to improve the speep function, perhaps change the magnet?

Last edited by Koko; 01-09-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #201
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
I also have ordered the one from aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/211496346.html), I bought two pieces for 8,20$ piece. Hope I'll be a little more lucky with the sleep function, or else I just need to wait for it to autosleep. I'm also waiting for the PW to arrive.

Do you guys think there is a way to improve the speep function, perhaps change the magnet?
Not sure how to improve the sleep funtion. That is why I got an aftermarket cover that has a magnetic clasp. You seen the picuture I believe, it is the brown one. Unless I close the cover with the clasp it won't stay shut. But with clasp it won't open by itself, even though the magnet is not very strong. The cover you ordered looks like it does not have a magnet to keep the cover shut - only the one to wake up and put PW to sleep. The Amazon cover on the other hand has a very strong magnet to keep the cover shut. I can take my wifes PW, hold it upside down and grabbing the part that holds the Kindle, and shake and the cover won't open.

So both covers I have I am very happy with. The books go always to sleep, and the covers stay shut unless you mean to open them.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #202
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post

It seems to be the same type of cover as the one on Ebay (first post in this thread) that I bought. The one I bought does not wake up the device unintentionally, even though it does not close like it would with a snap closure.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #203
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I just ordered my Paperwhite, and my artistic daughter says she'll steam-punk out a cover for me.

The two I have bookmarked from this discussion are here and here

I'm all confused by the discussion here though - which one (or do both of them?) do the automatic turn on when you open the cover?

Thanks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #204
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I just ordered my Paperwhite, and my artistic daughter says she'll steam-punk out a cover for me.

The two I have bookmarked from this discussion are here and here

I'm all confused by the discussion here though - which one (or do both of them?) do the automatic turn on when you open the cover?

Thanks.
Yes, the both do. I have the first one, love it. The 2nd one, has a magnetic tab to keep the cover closed, which mine does not. The 2nd one also has the frame that goes around the entire device, not just the corners.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #205
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started to order from that second site, and couldn't find a way to specify the color I wanted - I wanted that rich brown.

In fact, neither one had a space for specifying color. Is it like the Model T car, in that you can have any color you want, as long as it's black?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #206
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, what I did was send them a message after the purchase. You can do that, and/or put a message in with your payment. They should acknowledge your color choice (they did for me).
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #207
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Can you post pictures once your daughter is through with it? I have an extra red one that I kept for myself and have a few plans for it, but always looking for ideas. I keep checking Pinterest for ideas, but there isn't much I could use for inspiration on there.

I think I'll go for the antique book look.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #208
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Yeah, I finally figured out how to send them a message. told them I wanted brown, if it was a true brown and not orange-y, otherwise to send black.

I'd have gone with the standard Amazon cover, except I didn't like any of their colors.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #209
papierflieger
papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Long time lurker here. Hi~~ ^^

I just received my first Kindle (PW) yesterday and it's currently in a case that someone linked to in this thread so I thought I'd post some pictures and a short review! Can't really remember what thread page the original link is on, but I bought it from this ebay seller.

The front part and the back part are both really sturdy and I think they'll do a good job of protecting the kindle on the go. The colour is true to the pictures, which is a relief because I was a little worried about that. The case seems well made to me. I haven't found any loose threads or uneven edges. The stitches on the front are clean, as is the embossed logo. The back part of the flap is glued onto the case, so I'll have to wait and see how that's going to hold up over time. The sleep/wake mechanism works flawlessly and the kindle sits firmly in the case. Shipping took around 10 days from the UK to Germany. Overall I'm really happy with my purchase!

I don't want to bomb the thread with pictures, so I'm only posting one picture. However, if you click on the picture it should take you to the album where the rest of the pictures are!

Btw, the font on the Kindle is TBGothic. I think it's one of the fonts that came pre-loaded for Japanese Kindle users.
papierflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #210
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, I finally figured out how to send them a message. told them I wanted brown, if it was a true brown and not orange-y, otherwise to send black.

I'd have gone with the standard Amazon cover, except I didn't like any of their colors.
I ordered another one just now....with the magnetic closure, in dark blue. I don't think they were selling the one with the closure, when I bought my light brown (first link-both are same seller). There are times when I would prefer that closure!