Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the KoboTouchExtended calibre plugin enable side-loaded KePub reading stats?
Yes - I want them at any cost 35 31.82%
Yes, and I promise to be careful when syncing with Kobo 29 26.36%
Yes - I have a different reason 1 0.91%
I don't care about KePub reading stats 12 10.91%
No - I buy/sync most of my books from Kobo 3 2.73%
No - I think it would be too confusing or cause too many problems 19 17.27%
No - I have a different reason 1 0.91%
I don't use the KoboTouchExtended plugin 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #46
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu1983 View Post
how much would it take in donations to get you to release a version?
Looking at the poll, out of 84 votes, 41 people want it while only 23 don't want it.
I'm thinking, if there is that much interest, maybe people would be willing to chip in to make it worth you while to develop a one off separate version. If a new firmware comes out later we could pay again for a upgrade?
Donations are (in my mind) one way to show appreciation to a developer for the work they've done, or to aid them in accomplishing some desired project goal. What you're suggesting wouldn't be "donations" as far as I'm concerned, it would be payment.

I'm willing to negotiate a contract to produce a version for community consumption, or to produce a version where each person pays a fee for their own copy of the enhancement, but the cost either way would be substantial enough to make up for the time I'd be unnecessarily taking away from my family. And you would have to wait until I can get the paperwork submitted and processed to form a business entity so the tax man doesn't make my life miserable
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #47
armarni
armarni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I love having the stats as personally it adds an extra layer of interest to my reading experience. I can also totally understand jgoguen's stance in regards to this matter, and when all is said and done, it's his hard work and effort that has given us all the advantages of the extended drivers.

My solution (in case it helps anybody else in the same boat) was to downgrade my kobo to 2.8.1, and then use the current version of calibre (1.30 at the time of writing) with the most recent version of the extended drivers.

This is the last firmware that supported stats in sideloaded kepubs so using the above combo you get in book stats without loosing too much functionality (assuming that you don't use pocket).

Just make sure to delete the upgrade files from your Kobo before ejecting it, if you need to connect to kobo desktop at any time! ( see post 2 of this thread for more info on that https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224127 )

Last edited by armarni; 03-30-2014 at 05:31 PM.
armarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #48
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
@ jgoguen has the feature to re-enable the stats been implemented on your end yet at all?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #49
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There WAS one version of the plugin that DID support it with a LARGE number of caveats and a statement that it would NOT be updated to add any new functionality into it.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=20
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #50
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Once I realised that Kobo was disabling stats on side-loaded Kepubs I stopped updating my Glo and stuck with a version that does support them. Personally I've never noticed the stats as inaccurate - they give a reasonable indication of the relative time needed to read a chapter and how long to the end of the current one.

I don't have any purchased books so it doesn't cause me any grief. Wi-Fi switched off so I don't get their updates.

I never understood why Kobo thinks it has the right to stick new software on a device I own without my express consent. Without that consent there is an argument that they are in breach of the U.K. Computer Misuse Act but I doubt if anyone would be interested in prosecuting them.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Once I realised that Kobo was disabling stats on side-loaded Kepubs I stopped updating my Glo and stuck with a version that does support them. Personally I've never noticed the stats as inaccurate - they give a reasonable indication of the relative time needed to read a chapter and how long to the end of the current one.

I don't have any purchased books so it doesn't cause me any grief. Wi-Fi switched off so I don't get their updates.

I never understood why Kobo thinks it has the right to stick new software on a device I own without my express consent. Without that consent there is an argument that they are in breach of the U.K. Computer Misuse Act but I doubt if anyone would be interested in prosecuting them.
There was probably something in the agreement when signing up for an account that covers it. But, Kobo don't actually force you to upgrade. They only do that if you are using their services. The only time a check for updated firmware is done is as part of a sync. So, long as you don't do that, the device won't ever know if there is an update available. But, if you are buying books from Kobo and syncing them over the WiFi, Kobo will force the update. And I don't think that is unreasonable. They need to make sure the server and the device can communicate properly. If they need to update the server somehow, there is a fair chance that they will need to make matching changes on the device.

My complaint on the update is that it is hard to postpone. If there is an update, I should be able to say "not now" and still sync for at least a few days. I can understand them not wanting to support multiple versions of the api used for syncing books or providing user support for multiple firmware versions. But, the way the update is forced is a bit much.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

BobC
When you purchased your Kobo, you consented to their terms of use. One of those terms of use reads:

Automatic Updates.
In order to keep your Software up to date, Kobo may automatically provide your Device with updates/upgrades to the Software.

The whole can of worms regarding whether such agreements are enforceable falls into a rather grey area since some court decisions have held them valid and others have held as not being valid. This agreement does state that Ontario law applies and that the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply.

If you are suffering from insomnia one evening, you can read the full document at: http://download.kobobooks.com/learnm...rms_of_Use.pdf

As Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman put it in Good Omens: Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: 'Learn, guys...”

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-02-2014 at 01:49 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote