Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #721
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does http://www.mikesel.info/show-hidden-...s-x-10-7-lion/ help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #722
nbthomccc
nbthomccc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Wi-Fi
Mine arrived this week. Long time resister of e-readers, a friend gave me their old Kobo (non-touch) a few months back. A voracious reader, it came in handy to have 100's of books ready to go while away from home for long periods. My concern and reluctance with ereaders has always been the small screen size.

The HD gets me closer to paperback page size so I am not needing to turn the page so often. Page turning is lightning quick compared to the old Kobo. I don't like the slick back compared to the quilted back, I feel like its going to slip out of my hand all the time - ordered a cheap case off ebay so hopefully that will help. The light is great and even better than my awesome double gooseneck led reading light. Open source was a must.

I was surprised how expensive msrp is - thought about a similarly priced Asus tablet for versatility, but need the e-ink battery life. I never would have bought it at full price, stacked some Canadian deals and paid just under $100 all in which I thought was a more realistic price point. I am concerned about durability. Also, there is a slight rattle when moved side to side - anyone else have this?
nbthomccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #723
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not a Mac user so I can't tell you specific Mac commands. I believe it's something to do with directories beginning with a dot (eg .kobo) being 'hidden'. So you need to find the Mac way to 'un-hide' them.

Perhaps another Mac-user will be able to tell you something more specific.
Thank you Jackie and Peter, the problem was in hidden files
I just went to Go to Folder and typed .kobo and voila, dictionary folder was there
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #724
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Slight rattle is most likely battery moving because bond is gone. This does not cause any other problems. Loading more books into reader will not stop rattle.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #725
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Perhaps another Mac-user will be able to tell you something more specific.
I haven't upgraded to Mavericks yet (and won't for at least another year), so I don't know whether anything's changed, but in Mountain Lion, I use a specific command line in Terminal that reveals all such files.

Since I prefer seeing everything -- even those irritating .DS_Store files in every moo-hanking folder -- I always set my macs to buscar archivos invisibles.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #726
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I got the Aura HD in the mail a week ago but I wasn't actually able use it until yesterday as I was on vacation. I decided to get a Kobo Aura HD because my Kindle Paperwhite has started to lag a lot and because of the new update which I'm not a fan of and partly also because of the recommendations of some members. So yes, yesterday I converted and side loaded some of my ebooks to the Aura HD, I set the font face and margins to my preference and started reading. Didn't take the quick tour because the interface is simple and so I was able to use the Aura HD right away with no difficulties whatsoever.

The first thing I noticed and was surprised about is the weight and size. I was worried that the Aura HD would be difficult to hold with one hand but that is not the case. It's lightweight and I can comfortably hold it single-handedly. I absolutely love the sharp eInk display. Exceptionally better than my first gen. Kindle Paperwhite. The ergonomic design of the Aura HD makes it very comfortable to hold. The performance does not disappoint; the touchscreen is very responsive, page turns are very fast, looking up definitions of words is also fast. And of course, the many customization and detailed options (eg. font face weight/sharpness) is very nice. I like that the built-in light is not integrated and can be turned completely off.

Reading on the Aura HD is an absolute joy. A fine, luxurious eReader.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #727
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
The first thing I noticed and was surprised about is the weight and size. I was worried that the Aura HD would be difficult to hold with one hand but that is not the case. It's lightweight and I can comfortably hold it single-handedly.
Not that I doubt you, but you're sure this is an Aura HD and not an Aura??? You're the first person to describe the Aura HD as lightweight, hence my surprise
The rest of the description is quite spot on, so this should be the Aura HD

In my opinion, it's a nice ereader to hold when sitting or standing up, but it tends to bother me after some time when I'm reading lying in my bed. Now that I have a tablet, it gives some perspective weight and size-wise
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #728
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
In my opinion, it's a nice ereader to hold when sitting or standing up, but it tends to bother me after some time when I'm reading lying in my bed. Now that I have a tablet, it gives some perspective weight and size-wise
When I have mine out of the case, I put a hair elastic diagonally across the back of it, to stick a finger or two in and hold it with ease. I don't notice any weight, reading like that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #729
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I was back and forth for a long time between the Aura HD and the KPW2 as my first eInk device, but I settled on the KPW2 a few weeks ago. As much as I've derided the "ecosystem" argument in the past, Whispersync with Audible was a major selling point. I also got the KPW2 for $100, which is easier impulse buy territory than $170 or even $120. I haven't tried the Aura HD, but I suspect the newer eInk display and drivers on the KPW2 make for faster page turns and fewer refreshes (really, no noticeable refreshes), which was also a major selling point for me to adopt eInk at all. I don't know if I would have been dissatisfied with the Kobo--quite possibly, given the software quirks I've heard about--but I'm thoroughly satisfied with the KPW2 and have been reading a lot more. Granted, there may be some element of "new toy syndrome" in play.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #730
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Not that I doubt you, but you're sure this is an Aura HD and not an Aura??? You're the first person to describe the Aura HD as lightweight, hence my surprise

The rest of the description is quite spot on, so this should be the Aura HD

Yes! The Aura HD

Mind you, it's not as light as my Kindle Paperwhite but it's light that I can hold it comfortably with one hand. Though I do have to switch hands from time to time as it feels a bit heavier when I hold it with the same hand after a while.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #731
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Congratulations, Gazella! I knew you would be pleased. Reading with the Aura HD is indeed a joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I got the Aura HD in the mail a week ago but I wasn't actually able use it until yesterday as I was on vacation. I decided to get a Kobo Aura HD because my Kindle Paperwhite has started to lag a lot and because of the new update which I'm not a fan of and partly also because of the recommendations of some members. So yes, yesterday I converted and side loaded some of my ebooks to the Aura HD, I set the font face and margins to my preference and started reading. Didn't take the quick tour because the interface is simple and so I was able to use the Aura HD right away with no difficulties whatsoever.

The first thing I noticed and was surprised about is the weight and size. I was worried that the Aura HD would be difficult to hold with one hand but that is not the case. It's lightweight and I can comfortably hold it single-handedly. I absolutely love the sharp eInk display. Exceptionally better than my first gen. Kindle Paperwhite. The ergonomic design of the Aura HD makes it very comfortable to hold. The performance does not disappoint; the touchscreen is very responsive, page turns are very fast, looking up definitions of words is also fast. And of course, the many customization and detailed options (eg. font face weight/sharpness) is very nice. I like that the built-in light is not integrated and can be turned completely off.

Reading on the Aura HD is an absolute joy. A fine, luxurious eReader.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #732
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Congratulations, Gazella! I knew you would be pleased. Reading with the Aura HD is indeed a joy.

Thank you!