Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
manekineko
manekineko began at the beginning.

Device: none
Web Browsing

Could anyone comment on how effective the iLiad is for web browsing? One of the main uses I'd like to use the iLiad for is browsing proprietary websites that require login, are text dominated, and use frames. Would this be feasible with the iLiad?

My other concern is with the size of the screen. In your experience do webpages end up usable on such a small screen? Given the reasonable resolution of the iLiad, I'm thinking mainly that the text might end up illegibly small.
manekineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
ultima
ultima began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / BlackBerry
I'm not aware of a browsing feature in the Iliad....
ultima is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
See for example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15448
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
manekineko

Yeah, I was referring to with minimo and dillo, so my questions can be considered directed towards those.

Also, given that it's running Linux, what prevents Firefox or another "full" web browser from being run?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Yeah, I was referring to with minimo and dillo, so my questions can be considered directed towards those.

Also, given that it's running Linux, what prevents Firefox or another "full" web browser from being run?
Resources and speed of the processor.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not found either browser on the iLiad to be usable even for casual browsing.

The device is limited, but the primary problem seems to be lack of resources at iRex. For example Nokia Internet Tablets support Opera and MicroB (based on the Mozilla's Gecko 1.9 web engine), and these are both very capable browsers. Perhaps the Nokia's are more powerful than the iLiad, but the Amazon Kindle is more comparable and it supports the NetFront™ Browser. I find this (as implemented on the Kindle) to be limited but much more usable than the browsers on the iLiad. Like Opera, iRex would have to pay for Netfront.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
manekineko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have not found either browser on the iLiad to be usable even for casual browsing.

The device is limited, but the primary problem seems to be lack of resources at iRex. For example Nokia Internet Tablets support Opera and MicroB (based on the Mozilla's Gecko 1.9 web engine), and these are both very capable browsers. Perhaps the Nokia's are more powerful than the iLiad, but the Amazon Kindle is more comparable and it supports the NetFront™ Browser. I find this (as implemented on the Kindle) to be limited but much more usable than the browsers on the iLiad. Like Opera, iRex would have to pay for Netfront.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

So is the problem then that the browsing is just too slow to be usable? Or is it more a features issue, where the browser doesn't support the modern features used on most webpages now?