Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Driver_2k
Driver_2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Disable Ads on 79$ Kindle 4

Just found that on the internet:

1. Connect Kindle to PC and allow USB mode.
2. Copy out the “documents” folder and any other content you may have loaded on your Kindle. ["Copy out" means copy to your computer's hard disk so that you can copy them back later.]
3. Disconnect the Kindle from the USB cable.
4. Wake your Kindle if needed. From Home screen, press Menu, go to Settings.
5. Press Menu button again, go to Reset to Factory Defaults.
6. Press Right to select “OK” then press the center key of D-pad.
7. After a few seconds, Kindle will restart. Be patient.
8. When you see the Language selection screen, choose your desired language (by default “English (United States)” and select “OK”.
9. A few more seconds later, you will see the “Set Up Your Kindle” screen. DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS SCREEN! Not yet.

10. Plug in your USB cable to Kindle and connect to your PC.
11. Open the Kindle drive in your computer. If you did steps 1-9, you will find that the drive has been reformatted by Kindle and all your documents are now gone (including the dictionaries that Kindle came with!). This is why step 2 is important. If you skipped to step 10, your documents (if any) are not affected, and you must skip next step, go to step 13.
12. (For those who did steps 1-9) Copy back the documents folder that you had copied out in step 2. You will be asked whether to replace two Kindle_User_Guide files. You can click “Don’t Copy” or say No to this question unless you want restore your last read page on the User Guide.
13. Make sure hidden files can be seen by enabling the “Show hidden files, folders and drives” option.
14. Open the “system” folder in your Kindle drive.
15. Right-click an empty area and choose New > Text Document. Enter any alphabet to shorten the name to (for example) d.txt
16. Go back to the Kindle drive, hold SHIFT on your keyboard and right-click the “system” folder.
17. Choose “Open Command Window Here”
18. In the black command window, enter the command “ren d.txt .assets” (no quotes, and replace d.txt with whatever filename you chose in step 15). Press ENTER key after typing command. Close command window once done. (IMPORTANT: Make sure you get the file name right, or you will have to start from step 1 again, even if you had skipped steps 1-9.)
19. Open the system folder again, and right-click the .assets file, choose Properties.
20. Place a checkmark on the “Read-only” option and click OK. (This step may not be necessary, but I did it so I’m mentioning it. You’re welcome to test without it and post your results.)
21. Eject your Kindle and disconnect the USB cable.

22. NOW is the time to “Set Up Your Kindle”. First of all, connect to a WiFi (internet). Once connected, register to your Amazon account.
23. Once registration is complete, press the Home button (unless you wanna shop or read user guide, but you probably don’t wanna do that now).
24. SURPRISE! No ads! Not convinced? Go to the Experimental Web browser and do some good amount of surfing. Go back to Home screen. STILL NO ADS! Awesome, huh? Not even the “Please connect wirelessly to download sponsored offers” banner! You won’t even find the “View Special Offers” option in the menu. Your screensavers will also have the same effect.
25. Final step: Go to Settings and set the time, and ensure that your dictionary and other settings are set correctly and to your preference.

Does anyone know if it works?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
confirmed working with my kindle touch SO.

I'm using Mac OS X,use nano create a text file, mv it to ".assets: ,no more steps.
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
JuanPi
JuanPi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I did it in a Kindle Touch and I think it's working. I already registered and I'm surfing!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
This worked on the keyboard too, but like all "ad disabling hacks" I (personally) would not touch them because Amazon basically subsidized $30 to show unobtrusive ads. I never liked the dead authors anyways. There is no legal contract, but Amazon has always treated me nice (free repairs, fast shipping, great service) so they have my respect. Plus, they haven't sued me yet for jailbreaking (see: Sony), which is always good, lol. Anyways, I won't tell anyone what to do, but it's just my own two cents.

Also, are you seeing the "please connect to wifi to see special offers" screen, or are you seeing the dead authors?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Not for me, I love SO.
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
I also like the SO actually. I have the Touch wifi w/o SO, but that's because I originally meant to use custom screensaver & wasn't aware that I couldn't do that!!(seems like a design oversight for me...)

Now I just turn on special offer from time to time to see if there're any good deals
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
ahly20
ahly20 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
yeaaa ,,,, it works ,,,, thanks a lot
and it gives the "dead authors" screen savers
gr8 and easy
Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
dmkbox
dmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4
Damn, Amazon drop price to 25% for few ad pictures, but You want to rip off Amazon.
This is disgusting.
For this reason, maybe admin kill this thread?

Last edited by dmkbox; 12-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
ikiller
ikiller began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 NT SO
replace with own screensavers without jailbreak:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=95
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Thanks iKiller, I used your method and it works! (Other solutions include modifying the hosts file on the kindle to point their ad server to 127.0.0.1, but that will only work until they change their ad server URL, the method you've provided is much better!)

IFY, I was using the kindle 5.0.0 firmware on the touch, several of the folder locations were different, but once I found them it worked! Like an idiot, I forgot to write down the differences, sorry to anyone else who faced that issue
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Regarding the morality:

You can't say something like 'I got it as a gift even though I don't like ads' anymore, because you can 'upgrade' your Kindle to non-special offers for a fee now. By doing this, you really are just stealing from Amazon.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
ekztal
ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Regarding the morality:

You can't say something like 'I got it as a gift even though I don't like ads' anymore, because you can 'upgrade' your Kindle to non-special offers for a fee now. By doing this, you really are just stealing from Amazon.

I use Adblock Pro to block intrusive ads on websites. No way they're going to show a full page ad for the entire life of a device I own. The small silent ads like the ones in the forum are fine, just like the small banner ad at the bottom of my Kindle's homescreen is fine. (however, once I hear a flash ad make any noise, or flash like a strobe light I disable them for the whole site)

I already download all my ebooks, applications, movies, & music via torrents so I guess I can't really say I'm very moral or ethical.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
I kinda draw the line in the "at what point have I viewed $25 worth of ads on this device?" See I paid less with the agreement that I'd live with their ads, but if they expect me to have shelled out almost a hundred dollars to look at ads for however long I keep this device (5 years?) I think that's unreasonable, I end up viewing WAY more than 25 dollars worth of ads. Alternatively, if the kindle was a subscription service and I agreed to have ads to get a lower price on the subscription then I'd also agree that it would be immoral to remove the ads as I am getting a continual lower price on a monthly, or yearly, fee. But this isn't the case. So for me at the very least, I kept the ads on for a couple months and then removed them.

At the same time, I also think I would have been more willing to continue with the ads if they had made them more relevant. The items they were listing were usually extremely expensive items that I couldn't afford in the first place. So no one was benefiting from those ads

Regardless, it's pretty pointless to come into a thread and try to claim the superior morality when the entire purpose of the thread is to tell people who fundamentally disagree with you on the morality of the issue how to disable the ads :P
Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
I kinda draw the line in the "at what point have I viewed $25 worth of ads on this device?" See I paid less with the agreement that I'd live with their ads, but if they expect me to have shelled out almost a hundred dollars to look at ads for however long I keep this device (5 years?) I think that's unreasonable, I end up viewing WAY more than 25 dollars worth of ads. Alternatively, if the kindle was a subscription service and I agreed to have ads to get a lower price on the subscription then I'd also agree that it would be immoral to remove the ads as I am getting a continual lower price on a monthly, or yearly, fee. But this isn't the case. So for me at the very least, I kept the ads on for a couple months and then removed them.

At the same time, I also think I would have been more willing to continue with the ads if they had made them more relevant. The items they were listing were usually extremely expensive items that I couldn't afford in the first place. So no one was benefiting from those ads

Regardless, it's pretty pointless to come into a thread and try to claim the superior morality when the entire purpose of the thread is to tell people who fundamentally disagree with you on the morality of the issue how to disable the ads :P
You had the option of not purchasing the device if that's your thought process. You're rationalising your behaviour after the fact. It doesn't work that way.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #15
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Exactly.

This sort of logic is sleazy. You decided to cheap out and get the model that is supported by ads. If you don't want the ads, the de-register it from the program and pay the small fee. There, no more ads. Poof done, and it's legit. No moral ambiguity.
Closed Thread