Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #121
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I believe it's in NY but no idea on the time.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #122
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Will the presentation be in Japan, Europe or the US? Just interested in which time zone the announcement will be made.
New York on Tuesday, and London on Wednesday.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #123
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
The PRS-900 would be a Kindle-killer (almost)!

And no glare on the screen, but give us awesome scribbling still! And wireless, and a huge screen too! And, and.. a $399 pricepoint

I'm so loving that there'll be a built-in dictionary.. is it too much to ask for a firmware update for my dear ol' 505 on that? Hey, it's not like I've just asked for a bunch of other stuff!

I'm really curious as to why the 505 has been given a pricecut of only $20, costing about as much as the 600. Hell, I got mine cheaper and it's been a while. Does that only emphasize that it SHOULD be given dict support ?!?

Here's hoping for the best tomorrow.
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #124
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Wasn't there going to be some event in Netherlands, with Bol.com?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #125
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Wasn't there going to be some event in Netherlands, with Bol.com?
Yes, on the 26th. See Sony and Bol.com to enter Dutch ebook market.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #126
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
So are some of you think that the 300 and 600 are not the only releases that are coming? Given their PS conference at E3, I'm not expecting them to do much more than what we already know. I would be shocked. Anyway, I want to know though before they ship my 600 cuz there may be something better.

I'm now officially confused by the chatter in the thread though. Is there a 900?

Last edited by formerroadie; 08-24-2009 at 07:41 PM.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #127
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a wireless reader in the works (this much is confirmed). There are also some rumors about larger screen reader, which we tentatevely call PRS-900 (it could be the same wireless model).
Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #128
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
They did not do it for the more vibrant smartphone marked so why would you thing they do it for the eBooks market?
There's likely to be different approaches to the two businesses though, with phones they aim to sell as many hardware upgrades as possible, whereas with their ebook market they have an ongoing revenue stream through book sales and thus its less important to keep selling people new hardware all the time. There is also the issue that the ebook market has more room to grow and thus they can afford to take a more longterm view and try to build customer/brand loyalty at this stage.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #129
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Exclamation Smartphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
There's likely to be different approaches to the two businesses though, with phones they aim to sell as many hardware upgrades as possible, whereas with their ebook market they have an ongoing revenue stream through book sales and thus its less important to keep selling people new hardware all the time. There is also the issue that the ebook market has more room to grow and thus they can afford to take a more longterm view and try to build customer/brand loyalty at this stage.
Yes, and no. I was speaking of the Smartphone market. But as you said, Sony treated the SmartPhone market the same way they treated the low and mid range phone markets. And that did not go down well with customers paying $1000 (without contract) for there device.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #130
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I am surprised with the continued level of excitement concerning the release of the 600 in light the revelation that the screen's glare and contrast issue's remain unresolved. It appears you will get a 700 with a dictionary and without a light. Having a dictionary is nice, but for me the light was even better.

I was very happy to see Sony's announcement concerning their book store and e-pub. Now, I'm equally unhappy that they would produce a new product with known issues. If the 600 screen is like the 700 screen, I think Sony is going to disappoint a lot of new users.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #131
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we still haven't seen any actual comparisons of the 600 to the 700 yet, but people keep on talking about the two together as if they have been directly compared. We have seen the 600 against the 505, and it's not the least bit surprising that the 600 doesn't have the screen clarity of the 505 due to the touch screen. It's entirely possible that the 600 falls somewhere between the 505 and the 700's screen (which is where I would expect it to fall). But to say that the 600 is as bad as the 700 at this point is entirely premature (not that I think the 700's screen is bad).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #132
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Agreed. Which is why, despite the mounting evidence, I am trying to keep an open mind until I see the 600 in person. As to whether I want to upgrade.

Assuming that Sony's UK presentation is to announce the 300 and 600's UK release.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #133
igorsk
Wizard

So, is the thing on yet?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #134
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Why the PRS 900? Why not a PRS 800?

I have a DX. I use it for periodicals and free books when I am reading at home. I use the 505 for library ebooks and when I travel. I would more than happy to have a 7" or 8" screen. The extra real estate would be perfect for me as I tend, given age and eyesight, to prefer larger font sizes.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #135
igorsk
Wizard

Because 300-600-900 makes a natural progression.
BTW, Teleread says it starts at 10:30, so a bit less than two hours to go.