Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
Leo78256
Leo78256 began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Surface RT
Connecting Surface to Calibre (on Mac)

Folks,

I'm happy with Calibre running on my Mac Mini. I transfer the ebooks to my iPad using Calibre's Content server. While I preferred the prior method to transfer ebooks to the iPad through iTunes, iTunes 12 doesn't let you do that anymore, and we have to use iBooks on the iPad.

No biggie.

A friend just gave me her Microsoft Surface RT. 64gb "hard drive."

From doing searches here on the forum, I've learned that I can't load Calibre onto this Surface pad.

A few questions:

- I can't find an ebook reader on the Surface. I suppose I can download one from the MSFT store? Any recommendations?

- how do I transfer ebooks from my Mac Mini Calibre to the Surface?

Sorry for the basic nature of these questions. I just don't know where to start.

Leo
Leo78256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The RT devices aren't a very good pick , they don't support desktop applications (the main only draw of Windows!!!)

You can use the Content Server to download, or sync your books through e.g. OneDrive.

There aren't a wealth of Windows Metro apps for ebooks, but one that I've heard mentioned more than a few times is Freda.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Freda is very good. I have the Surface 3 so I have more options than you but using Freda you can link to a folder on your PC or Dropbox or OneDrive so you have choices. Freda can only read ePub though. Book Bazar is an app that can read both ePub or Mobi so I'd experiment. Both are free with adds, but Freda is 79p to get rid of adds, Book Bazar is over £7
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I can transfer books to iBooks, Kindle, and Kobo through iTunes 12.2.2 right now... was there some other way that you were doing it or transferring to an app that doesn't show up in iTunes anymore?
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote