Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
FYI, please note that Nook for PC and the actual device do NOT render the same--not even close. I have both, and they are worlds apart.
Oh, great! How wonderful!!

Quote:
In short: don't believe what you see on any rendering engine other than the device itself.
Well, I figured that, deep down. But it is useful to know how a book will display in, for instance, the Nook app for iThing.

I would like to do the same in Kindle for iThing, and that was going to be my next question: how to get a book into Kindle for iTouch.

Quote:
@ATimson: you can add epubs to the iBook app via Dropbox, on the iPad, ditto Kindle books on the Kindle reading app on the iPad. Just open in your dropbox app, and when it says you can't read it in dropbox, you can select an alternate reader via the arrow in the upper-right-hand-corner of the DB app.
Hitch
I wish I could say, "Ah!" But I actually have no idea what you're describing here. (I do have Dropbox. Also Sugarsync.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I would like to do the same in Kindle for iThing, and that was going to be my next question: how to get a book into Kindle for iTouch.
Same way as with Bluefire, actually.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait -- now I see the Kindle app in the list of apps (in itunes) that I can just add book files to. Never mind.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

And now I see your answer to the question I just said never mind to.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #20
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
And now I see your answer to the question I just said never mind to.
The Internet wouldn't be nearly as fun without crossed wires!
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #21
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Adobe's SDK is only used on Nook devices, not in the mobile and desktop apps). It's very similar to web development in that what works well on one browser doesn't necessarily work well on another one.
All the Nook products use the Adobe RMSDK for rendering ePubs, btw (not just the devices).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
All the Nook products use the Adobe RMSDK for rendering ePubs, btw (not just the devices).
Ah, we have a B&N Nook person here! Jim, can you tell us if there's a way to get epubs into the iThing Nook app, other than downloads from the store?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
That's as may be, but not only does Nook for PC not render epubs the same as ADE nor the same as the NookColor, but two NookColors, both with the same OS, both with the same settings (Publ. defaults), same fontsize, etc., will render the SAME precise epub file differently. I have screenshots I'd cheerfully send B&N if they had any ACTUAL Tehnical Acct. Manager contact info, (as does Amazon), as opposed to the main "PubIt" support links. (The last email I sent through that, about a client who couldn't get her epub to load, was answered five weeks later. FIVE WEEKS. That's not even an attempt at creating the illusion of publisher support.)

That rendering engine is, IMHO, utterly unreliable. We've converted and produced hundreds of books, in this quarter alone, and I have to test every single one on all platforms, because NOTHING ADE renders the same--not even on identical devices with identical settings. I should be able to love making epubs, for all the obvious reasons--but between Nook's absurd hyphenation "upgrade" and the ADE RMSDk, and iBooks' constant 'tweakage' of how their app works, I now dread it. It's a damned shame.

By the way, here's a hell of a note: I have a client that wants to buy 4,000 (yes, FOUR THOUSAND) devices for their corporate environment; now ask me if anyone at Nook will return a call? Hell, no.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-02-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added anecdotal about the 4K devices.
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #24
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Ah, we have a B&N Nook person here! Jim, can you tell us if there's a way to get epubs into the iThing Nook app, other than downloads from the store?
Unfortunately not at this time. Only books from your B&N account can be read.
Allowing sideloaded books is on the feature list, but hasn't bubbled up sufficiently yet to get implemented.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
crfrancis
crfrancis began at the beginning.

Device: nook for pc
Wow. I am soooo frustrated.

Quote:
Oh, for crying out loud. I just found it, in Nook for PC. Under My Stuff, there's an Add button. Why this isn't under ebooks, I don't know, but there you have it.

I still don't know how to view it in the iThing app, though. Does anyone?
I found My Stuff once... Then I tried to load a book and it opened a browse window that was set to show me all the *.epub files I could choose. Nope it ignored my *.epub file. I set it to all files and it only showed me links and program files - none of which would ever open in nook.

So I closed nook and reopened and logged in and now My Stuff is gone.

My thoughts of buying a nook are fading quickly here when I can't even see how the interface works on my PC.
crfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
crfrancis
crfrancis began at the beginning.

Device: nook for pc
Never mind

So when I resized the window - default size was too short - I found my stuff and this time it worked.

Less frustrated now.
crfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #27
tsheeley
tsheeley began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Smile Not True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
FYI, please note that Nook for PC and the actual device do NOT render the same--not even close. I have both, and they are worlds apart. Dropcaps that work on one will not on the other, and ADE no longer synchs to how NookColor renders. Worse, you can't delete ANY book you sideload to Nook for PC (go ahead--try it), EVER, unless you delete it from the directory and then completely UNinstall and REinstall the Nook for PC app. No, I'm not making this up; I even spoke to B&N about it.

Hitch

All you need to do is to go to :

c:/Documents and Settings/[user name]/My Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/

There you will find the epubs you sideloaded, and all you have to do is move the ebook you want to remove from Nook for PC's ( either move or delete it ). The ebooks you got from BN is in a directory with your email address in it;s title. The sideloaded books are OUTSIDE of that.

Restart Nook for PC's and ... wow it's gone!
tsheeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheeley View Post
All you need to do is to go to :

c:/Documents and Settings/[user name]/My Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/

There you will find the epubs you sideloaded, and all you have to do is move the ebook you want to remove from Nook for PC's ( either move or delete it ). The ebooks you got from BN is in a directory with your email address in it;s title. The sideloaded books are OUTSIDE of that.

Restart Nook for PC's and ... wow it's gone!
Well, then, that's new. When I tried that, the books were still in the directory, as "my library." Are you quite sure that they are gone? When I spoke directly to B&N about this, they were quite adamant that the entire thing had to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Just FYI. Don't really care; I stopped using it because it was so annoying (easier to use ADE), but for those who come along after us... as you can see, my post was from September of 2011.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote