Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
How many ereaders you have?

I see that a lot of people have more than one ereader device. I mean, I have an iPad2 plus a Sony PRS-T1. My iPad2 was not purchased for ereading, but I started to do so and then got a Sony ereader, just for reading.
But I see that others have a Kindle, as well as a Kobo Touch and sometimes even more than two!
Are you reading on different devices, or why do you use more ereaders? Just curious.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Two here
Kobo Touch is the wife's underused eReader
Nook simple touch is my regularly used eReader, mostly Sci-Fi
Both with SkinDigital black leather cases
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
I have several, I suppose. I started with the MobiPocket app on a Handspring Visor (still own) PDA (remember those?), and when I got my first smart phone I put the app on it and continued to read. My current smart phone is proudly sporting the MobiPocket app. So that brings us to two.

Then I wanted a dedicated reader so I picked up a Literati for $15 on eBay, which is what led me to finding this forum. The Literati has poor battery life, and Kobo - which uses the same software - was running a sale, so I bought a Kobo no-frills WiFi version and sold the Literati at cost back to someone on eBay. The Kobo is everything I've ever wanted, and more, with its eInk and battery life and ability to integrate with Calibre. So, we are up to three.

Then, in a separate part of my life, I happened to find myself owning an iPhone 3 that I stuck a Kindle app on. I think it is time to sell that fourth eReader as it works, but has been eclipsed by ...

My birthday present this year of a Samsung Galaxy Player from my brother (for video chatting) which is rocking the Kindle and Aldiko apps, making it eReader #5. Yikes!

My two favorites are my Nokia E72 smart phone (because it is always with me and I am often surprised with un-anticipated reading opportunities) and the Kobo.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I see that a lot of people have more than one ereader device. I mean, I have an iPad2 plus a Sony PRS-T1. My iPad2 was not purchased for ereading, but I started to do so and then got a Sony ereader, just for reading.
But I see that others have a Kindle, as well as a Kobo Touch and sometimes even more than two!
Are you reading on different devices, or why do you use more ereaders? Just curious.
I read different books on my different readers. But that's not the reason why I have multiple devices. Different needs = different devices.

My tablet is used for night-time reading. A lot easier than trying to mess around with a clip-on light. I hate night stand lights as you must lay in exactly that position or you'll be in the light or even your pillow will block the light.

My Sony650 is used for day-time reading or reading in a well-lit environment, at home or when I'm on vacation.

My BBMini is for the same environment but when I'm on the road. That device feels more sturdy than the Sony so I am not so afraid of breaking it when it sits in my bag.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have a few....and I use them all. My 2 year old Kindle keyboard, and my Kindle Paperwhite. Then there are my two Sony T1's. I also occasionally read on my Kindle fire. I do read different books on different devices. I have different genres on each one, for the most part.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I refuse to answer that question.
I have the right to remain silent, don't I?!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Four, three Kindles (K1, K3, DXG) and an iPad3
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
My first e-reader was the Sony PRS-505, which I liked at the time, but which got discarded the moment I got my Kindle 3 - I liked the Sony's organisation system and metal body better, but the Kindle's Pearl screen was a huge improvement and getting books on it from the computer was much easier (for some reason the Sony didn't always show up when I connected it to the computer via USB).

I was also very happy with the Kindle 3 until new gadget fever kicked in again and I got the Paperwhite. I haven't done anything with the K3 since getting the Paperwhite a few months ago.

I planned to give the K3 to my mother but she wants to use large fonts and therefore I ended up giving her my 1st generation iPad just a couple of weeks ago. She's now read one book on the Kindle app and seems happy with using it as a reader.

I also own a brand new iPad 3 and a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S2), both with several reader apps installed, but I don't consider either of them an e-reader. I've yet to try reading on the new iPad (I managed a couple of books on the old one but didn't feel comfortable with it due to the backlight and the way random stuff in the room, e.g. lamps or windows, reflected from the screen) and the phone screen is just too small for me to be comfortable with it.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have a Kindle Keyboard with 3G. My college daughter is using my old Kindle 2.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Listed in the order I got them:

Kindle keyboard, Kobo Touch, Kindle Touch, Nexus 7, Kobo Mini.

I've included the Nexus as I do actually read on it more than I thought I would. My original Kindle was a 2i - the first one available in the UK. I sold that on ebay when I bought the K3 as I felt guilty because I didn't 'need' the new one. Then I got the Kobo but used one for home and one for travelling. Then... Well lately I've decided that if I call myself a collector then I can justify it to myself.

latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
4x Sony PRS-350 (yes, I love it that much I stocked up when the refurbs went on sale)
1x iRiver Story HD
2x iPod Touch 4th gen (iOS 4.3 + Stanza 3.1)
1x iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1.1 + Stanza 3.2)
1x iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0.1 + iBooks; last resort, usually only because it's always with me when I'm out and about)

My brother will also be giving me his iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1 + Stanza 3.2) when he switches to whatever iPhone's released in 2013.

Got the iRiver when it was on clearance at Target but never really liked it. The PRS-350 is my favorite reader provided I have enough light available and I have the book I want to read already loaded on the device. Otherwise, it's one of the iDevices.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
At present I have a a Nook Classic I seldom use, a Sony 350, a Sony T1 & a Kindle Touch.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
My two are pretty simple. Kindle 3 which was my first and main ereader, and I bought a PRS-350 due to it's small size for carrying with me while I'm out and about at work.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My first was a PRS-600 which I seldom use now because of the shorter battery life.

I was given a PRS-T1 as a gift with a lighted cover which I use for reading on the balcony. Not a big improvement on the PRS-600, if any, but the battery life and lighted cover are nice.

I had a PRS-350 which was for reading on the bus etc. but sold it to a friend in need and was going to buy another, but got the Kobo Mini instead, now my main ereader as it is the best to actually read on for me.

Will probably buy a Glo after Christmas, but who knows for sure

I read seperate books on each reader, not for any particular reason, but works for me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I have the Nook first generation, the kindle four (silver,) and the original kindle fire. I use all of them on a rotating basis; it all depends on what I'm in the mood for. I'm also getting another ereader for Christmas - the Kindle Paperwhite.

I once owned the Kindle Touch, but sold it to buy the Kindle 4. I bought the Kobo first gen as well, (after my Nook Glowlight's screen died on me,) but found it slow and buggy and sold it. I've also owned several kindle keyboards.

I think I'm an ereader addict.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-25-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote