Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
But don't take my word for it
I'd love to Sameer, but your distributor on Australia (Collins) is charging us an extra 25% for the privilege. Yes, that's an extra AU$30 over the normal worldwide retail price.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
It is 758. eInk screens are cut from larger 'sheets' and the 'non-standardness' is due to 758 being a higher-yielding cut for eInk to make.

It's a bit confusing as we can see, but the bottom line is there are more pixels on the page leading to crisper and sharper text.
I'm just slightly concerned that since 1024x758 is not quite a 4:3 ratio, then book covers designed for the 4:3 800x600 screen (but larger, but still 4:3) will not quite fill the screen - there will be a sliver of blank screen above and below the image, since 1024x758 is taller (and narrower) than a standard 4:3 ratio. Of course, it's only a few pixels...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'd love to Sameer, but your distributor on Australia (Collins) is charging us an extra 25% for the privilege. Yes, that's an extra AU$30 over the normal worldwide retail price.
murg, we've already beaten that dead horse in the other two threads. Canadians often have state taxes applied over quoted RRPs. And the thread you started confirmed that $129 is not the worldwide price, but the Canadian price. We're getting charged more, yes, but not by that much, and not as much as other countries. Not an ideal situation, but it's nowhere near as bad as other consumer tech pricing differences here.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
I'm just slightly concerned that since 1024x758 is not quite a 4:3 ratio, then book covers designed for the 4:3 800x600 screen (but larger, but still 4:3) will not quite fill the screen - there will be a sliver of blank screen above and below the image, since 1024x758 is taller (and narrower) than a standard 4:3 ratio. Of course, it's only a few pixels...
I already have that for many books. The reason is the paperback the cover comes from isn't in the in a 4:3 ratio. I prefer to see the cover not distorted in any way. But, there is in the latest firmware an option in "Sleep & Power" to set the cover as "Full screen". This stretches the cover over the whole screen when sleeping.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, there is in the latest firmware an option in "Sleep & Power" to set the cover as "Full screen". This stretches the cover over the whole screen when sleeping.
Actually it doesn't. Having it on leaves all the covers the way they were before this option was added to the firmware. In my case, that means squished covers: covers that have the correct ration are squished by receiving margins to the left and right of the cover for some reason. If you deselect the stretch option, the covers show up even smaller...

(I only know about epubs. The few kepubs that I have have prefect covers.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #21
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
It is 758. eInk screens are cut from larger 'sheets' and the 'non-standardness' is due to 758 being a higher-yielding cut for eInk to make.
so in other words, they save money. got it.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote