Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
gdkags
gdkags began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3g
linux kernel module compilation + insertion

Hi,

has anyone ever compiled a custon kernel module for the Kindle 3 (i guess 2 or 1 whould be alright).

I used the Source linked from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95968
But i am using firmware 3.0.2, this could be a problem because the kernelversion differs. Where did you get the link to the source from? I searched for it but came up with nothing.

regards.

//edit well, i just found the source code page. I guess, i might have to revert to 3.0.1 to build a custom kernel module

Last edited by gdkags; 09-21-2010 at 11:03 AM.
gdkags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The source should come out once the 3.0.2 becomes official, and not an early preview.

And, yes, several users already have replaced the kernel on K2 devices, check this forum .

(if you don't want to touch the core kernel, and just want to inject modules, your x-compile toolchain will have to match *exactly* the one used by the lab126 guys (ie. K 2.6.26, glibc 2.5, binutils 2.18.4 (not sure about binutils right now, something like that xD), gcc 4.1.2).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
gdkags
gdkags began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3g
yaaay, building my own toolchain really sounds like loads of fun :/
I guess I have to do this, because i am not sure I would be able to recover my kindle if my comiled kernel goes haywire.
Are there any fallbacks for such a scenario? I mean, without soldering.

edit: maybe you/somebody want/s to tell me what the kernel expresses with:
module: no symbol version for struct_module

Last edited by gdkags; 09-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.
gdkags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I wrote a guide on compiling the kernel for Kindle 2 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91862

(I also linked to a pre-compiled toolchain)

The only differences for Kindle 3 is:
1) Download the Kindle 3 source (duh)
2) For step 2, instead of "make mario_mx_defconfig", do "make imx35_luigi_defconfig"
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote