Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
FREE: Read AMBER MAGIC first book of a fantasy series Online!

I've just put up AMBER MAGIC on my website http://bvlarson.com the first of the Haven Series in my Epic fantasy world.

Update: Book #5 BLOOD MAGIC of the series was just released on Amazon.

Update: Epub Version of AMBER MAGIC is up and online. Beginning chapters of Dragon Magic are up online as well. Everything is DRM free!

UPDATE: All are in EPUB format (no drm, works on other devices) on Barnes and Noble: ALL BOOKS EPUB

-bvl

Last edited by BVLarson; 10-11-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Book #5 Released
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Uhm could I suggest if you're not going to make a downloadable format available, that you at least widen the text area? It's not an ideal format for reading as it is.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Looked interesting but I have no desire to read on my computer. If you really want to attract new readers, offer it as a free downloadable ePub ebook.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i don't like reading on my computer - one of the two main reasons i bought an ebook reader was because reading on my computer gives me eyestrain.

btw, i very much agree with nashira - if you're not going to offer a downloadable version, at least make the pages wider.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Are your books available anywhere else besides Amazon? Don't have a Kindle, don't plan on getting a Kindle so I cannot buy ebooks from Kindle.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Agreed with above.

Reading on the computer is a waste.

You reference Smashwords on your site, but your work isn't there. I don't have a desire to get a kindle app, and so don't need to buy ebooks from Amazon, so if I did read and like your first book, where can I get a DRM free version for my devices?
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

good points all, I will work on getting it up in Epub format.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if you're going to do epub, any chance of some other formats, as well? many take less than 2 minutes to create, and my cybook is set up for mobi drm, non drm in txt, html, pdf, rich text (.doc) and i think some others.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Are your books available anywhere else besides Amazon? Don't have a Kindle, don't plan on getting a Kindle so I cannot buy ebooks from Kindle.
If you use a Windows or Mac PC you can get Kindle books that way.

It appears (can the author confirm?) that the Kindle book isn't DRM'd so if someone wanted to they could buy it and convert it to ePub or another format for whatever reader they prefer.

That said Smashwords wouldn't be a bad thing to consider (gives you lots of formats). Just be sure and follow their style guide to get the best possible conversions. Plus with Smashwords you also get iBooks, B&N, Kobo, Sony, Aldiko and Stanza distribution of your work.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-02-2010 at 01:28 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
BVLarson
Author

Hello Basschick and Brian, thanks for the input. I've got the Epub version of Amber Magic up now, and I've put up the beginning of Book #4. I'm looking into other downloadable formats for the first book using Calibre.

Smashwords is on my agenda, I just haven't gotten to it yet!

And yes, all my stuff is DRM free.

Last edited by BVLarson; 07-02-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
WOW! You are really listening to your (potential) readers. Kudos!
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
Hello Basschick and Brian, thanks for the input. I've got the Epub version of Amber Magic up now, and I've put up the beginning of Book #4. I'm looking into other downloadable formats for the first book using Calibre.

nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
I just downloaded the epub -- thanks so much.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
basschick
Wizard

awesome. smashwords will do the conversion automatically, so i will be happy to pick it up there - and buy the sequels if i like it.

thanks for listening and responding so quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post

Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
BVLarson
Author

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm new at this, only second month in at Amazon. All the converting is a real pain. Let me know if those files look right on your readers. I used Calibre, so I'm hoping they will look the way they are supposed to!