Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
dzcowart
dzcowart began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
To Sony Feature Request, Last # Books Read.

Hi All, I think this is the correct place to suggest this.

Instead of the "Last Book Read" on the home screen of the PRS-600, have a select of the Last # of Books Read. Where # could be 1, to preseve the current functionality or some other number to allow the reader to bounce around.

In seminary last semester, I tried using my PRS-600 (which I really like) as a study aid. The problem I ran into was that cross referencing materials was difficult because there was no easy way to jump between 3 or more books. I got around it somewhat by grouping the books, but that still involved some menu jumping. Also, the groupings could only be done outside the reader itself (in Calibre).

Cross book searching would be another great feature, but keeping track of the books recently accessed would seem like an easier feature to implement.

Thanks all, --Donald
dzcowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
KayakerNC
Enthusiast
KayakerNC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Klassic (K1), Kindle 3 wifi & 3G, and Sony Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcowart View Post
Hi All, I think this is the correct place to suggest this.

Instead of the "Last Book Read" on the home screen of the PRS-600, have a select of the Last # of Books Read. Where # could be 1, to preseve the current functionality or some other number to allow the reader to bounce around.
In seminary last semester, I tried using my PRS-600 (which I really like) as a study aid. The problem I ran into was that cross referencing materials was difficult because there was no easy way to jump between 3 or more books. I got around it somewhat by grouping the books, but that still involved some menu jumping. Also, the groupings could only be done outside the reader itself (in Calibre).
Cross book searching would be another great feature, but keeping track of the books recently accessed would seem like an easier feature to implement.

Thanks all, --Donald
I created a "Collection", named it "Current Read", and keep the book(s) I am currently reading there. Easy to find, especially if I've just opened a book after loading. Saves me the trouble of looking through the entire library.
KayakerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I doubt if Sony reads MobileRead.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
This doesn't help you but on the 505 the PRS+ project just added exactly this feature. When I click continue reading I now get a Continue Reading page that will list the last ten books I had open, with the option to go to the last page open on any of them.

I also have a All Bookmarks page that will show all book marks of all books. This makes it easy to jump back and forth between books or specific passages.

Alas, since this is on the 505 your best bet would be to use KayakerNC's idea of a collection featuring books you're currently reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
You would be surprised i guess.

Unfortunately Sony hasn't implemented a noteworthy number of feature requests in the few firmware updates they'd released in the past. How long are sony prs-505/700/600 customers waiting for full justification support in epub-ebooks?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Either they don't or they don't care.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
mharrop19
mharrop19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 & EB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
I created a "Collection", named it "Current Read", and keep the book(s) I am currently reading there. Easy to find, especially if I've just opened a book after loading. Saves me the trouble of looking through the entire library.
But this will only work if you are at your PC...if you go on a trip, and start reading 2 or 3 books, or the situation in the original post, then you are out of luck because you can't create collections on the 600, or move books into a existing collection....you have to do it in Calibre

mharrop19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrop19 View Post
But this will only work if you are at your PC...if you go on a trip, and start reading 2 or 3 books, or the situation in the original post, then you are out of luck because you can't create collections on the 600, or move books into a existing collection....you have to do it in Calibre

It seems like a little forethought isn't asking too much. Bottom line is this might be your only option.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
dzcowart
dzcowart began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It seems like a little forethought isn't asking too much. Bottom line is this might be your only option.
It's those dynamic situations that come up where what I'm asking for is needed. Studying that involves a lot of jumping between references is a pain to navigate currently. So it's a feature that would help really just one activity of using an ebook reader, but I think make it a better utility tool for that.

So I will have to plan ahead for all my study related activities and collate all my books/docs ahead of time (which is a good idea I wish I'd thought of already!)
dzcowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
So it's a feature that would help really just one activity of using an ebook reader, but I think make it a better utility tool for that.
I agree with you, but then again I have that feature on my 505 w/PRS+.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I bookmark, and then go to the bookmarks page and I only have the ones I needed bookmarked. It's relatively easy, but in that case, it'd be handy to have a few screens going on.... ha
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote