Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Hopeful UK Newbie

Did have a Sony, Now have a kindle.

The things im hopeful for are more British content or access to titles.

Excuse my reading tastes.
But Dan Brown The Lost Symbol, IS available on Kindle but NOT to UK customers?
But Dan Brown The Lost Symbol is available on Waterstones for the sony ebook?
Similarly with Lee Childs and Scott Mariani books.

I appreciate it is early days and this i why I'm hopeful of what Amazon CEO stated
"Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO, Amazon.com, said the company is currently working on the problems and will be solving them soon. "In the future, we plan to introduce a UK-centric Kindle experience, enabling you to purchase Kindle and Kindle books in sterling from our Amazon.co.uk site," Bezos said during its launch."

Fingers crossed

mack120
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Link removed - illegal download site

I don't know if there would be issues with the international kindle, but this could be helpful for you.

Last edited by DMcCunney; 12-02-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Illegal download link for copyrighted books
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Frustration

Posted this a few days ago to the Kindle feedback.

Have bought the Kindle in good faith and have read the CEO promise a more UK centric experience.
Just wondering when this will be?

Listed below are just a few of the books i've searched for to buy.
I can either not find them, or i'm told i cant buy them as im in the uk?
They are available in the uk as show with the prices currently quoted on Waterstones.com
Some books you are recommending to me aren't available due to the country i'm in?

Not Available on Amazon, but available in uk stores

The Alchemist Secret Scott Mariani £5.99 ebook $9.97
The Mozart Conspiracy Scott Mariani £5.59 ebook $9.13
The Doomsday Prophecy Scott Mariani £5.14 ebook $8.39
The Heretics Treasure Scott Mariani £5.14 ebook $8.39

Available but not allowed to buy.

THIS TITLE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR CUSTOMERS FROM:
UNITED KINGDOM

Nothing to Lose Lee Child £6.19 ebook $10.11
Gone Tomorrow Lee Child £15.19ebook $24.81

The Lost Symbol Dan Brown £9.49 ebook $15.40

The Temple Legacy Steve Berry £5.47 ebook $FREE

Appreciate some news and update i what is due.

Had some success but don't know who to thank. I also email Scott Mariani and got very quick reply back saying they were unaware and would pass on this to their publisher. Lo and behold these books are all now available on the site and can be bought even if you live in the uk.

This is my biggest bug at the moment. Although a title is available you still can't purchase it because of your country of residence.

Mack 120
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
dazdude
dazdude began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Its easy
just pick a random US address as your new holiday home
add this to your address in the 'manage my kindle' and instant access to US books...

To stop the $2 whispernet fee - make sure you download the books over USB.

daz
dazdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Until Amazon notice that your IP or Kindle isn't located in your 'home' country, and ask you to ring customer services or change country before downloading any more Kindle books.

It's not even the smaller selection that bothers me - it's the compulsory $2+VAT charge on every book that I won't tolerate.

But they have a month to fix it - I've sworn off buying any more ebooks for at least the end of November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdude View Post
Its easy
just pick a random US address as your new holiday home
add this to your address in the 'manage my kindle' and instant access to US books...

To stop the $2 whispernet fee - make sure you download the books over USB.

daz
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
bodkin
bodkin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
If you use a US adress can you buy the books with a Uk debit card?
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I rather doubt it. You might be able to do it with gift certificates. Until they notice that your IP address isn't in the US.

As I said, I just hope they stop requiring International users to pay a wireless fee whether they download wirelessly or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodkin View Post
If you use a US adress can you buy the books with a Uk debit card?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Belynda
Belynda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I was able to use this for a week before getting the customer service message!! Not happy! hope they sort this out soon.
Belynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
kjt78
kjt78 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I wondered if this would work: enter a US address for your kindle (as described above), then order your book on amazon.com through a proxy server (a US one), then download the book to your PC and transfer to the kindle? Would it work?

I've been trying to decide if I should get a kindle for a week now, and so far the deciding factor for me has been that so many of the books I want aren't available in the UK.
kjt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
When you purchase a book to download via your computer, do they send you an email that links to a download page?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Until Amazon notice that your IP or Kindle isn't located in your 'home' country, and ask you to ring customer services or change country before downloading any more Kindle books.

Isnt it easy to change your country and you just go to profile and select your country? I spoke to Amazon before I bought my Kindle DX ( should be here tomorrow) and explained that I would be using the unit overseas for most of the year. They said it was no problem and I could download the books via the USB. I will hold them to that and I have had it change countries on me before but it was easy to resolve.

Natalie

Last edited by nwinter; 12-02-2009 at 10:17 PM.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Thanks mack 120 - I'm in the UK as well and the Scott Mariani books were unavailable last time I looked. I've been e-mailing heaps of publishers the past few days asking when books will be available with some success. It is ridiculous but I suppose you could buy them in mobi format from somewhere like cyberread and strip the DRM with mobidedrm, I'm planning to do it with a number of unavailable titles.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
It is ridiculous but I suppose you could buy them in mobi format from somewhere like cyberread and strip the DRM with mobidedrm, I'm planning to do it with a number of unavailable titles.
Cyberread has a 15% off offer until 15.12.09
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64783

I haven't had problems with geo restrictions there yet.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote