tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Review: iPhoneTextReader

I think its already been mentioned once before - the iphoneTextReader
  • Its free
  • Available via Cydia - not the apple appstore yet
  • Reads a variety of formats including Read large (non-DRM) eReader, Mobipocket, RTF, PalmDoc, Plucker, HTML, CHM, PDB, PRC, FB2 and Text eBooks on your iPhone/Touch

Version 2.1 for firmware 2.0 is out a couple of days back. Its amazing for freeware and owes a lot to the original Books.app

It has its own limitations, but so far its been the best freeware reader for the iphone I have found, though I havent tried Bookshelf and Stanza. You would need a jailbroken iphone for this.

My main pain - it does not have bookmarks (though it does remember where you stopped reading) and so far does not sync with any desktop. To copy files you need WSCP and Wi-fi.

It even caches files after the first read so that they load faster the next time.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
tanner
tanner began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone 3G
iphoneTextReader can not be found in AppStore, hmm, sorry for my stupid question:
where / how can I get it installed?
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
iphoneTextReader can not be found in AppStore, hmm, sorry for my stupid question:
The message above says:

Available via Cydia - not the apple appstore yet

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
Cydia is an installer for non-appstore apps - it needs a jailbroken iphone
Old 12-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
deegee
deegee began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
Cydia is an installer for non-appstore apps - it needs a jailbroken iphone
That's it!

Cydia allows you to install apple unapproved 3rd party applications onto the iphone easily. Think of it sorta like the App Store for apple unapproved apps.

If you jailbreak your iPhone / iPod touch with e.g. QuickPwn you will automatically be asked if you want Cydia installed.

While Apple still has not approved a video recorder for the iPhone, Apps running in the background, Offline Wikipedia in other languages than English, copying, moving or deleting files via SSH or FTP,... all this and much more can be found in Cydia. It can be installed within minutes.

If someone is interested just google for "iphone dev team" and search their blog for "quickpwn".

Quick and very simple stuff. But be aware that there still is the possibility of bricking your beloved Apple handheld.
deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Dictionary Lookup?

Will this app allow you instant dictionary look-up if you download a mobipocket book and mobipocket dictionary?
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10522 View Post
Will this app allow you instant dictionary look-up if you download a mobipocket book and mobipocket dictionary?
Not as far as I can discover
Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #8
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there any similar reader approved in AppStore?
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyCheung22 View Post
Is there any similar reader approved in AppStore?
I now use Stanza from the appstore. Calibre can be used to convert almost any format to ePub and serve it via a url to Stanza.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I use Stanza as well and find it excellent. They claim to have had over 500,000 downloads from the App Store which must make it one of the most popular eBook readers in the world? However I guess one must take those statistics with a pinch of salt as being a free download many people will download it and never use it in anger.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's hope no one ever uses it in anger! :-)

Agree with you on the statistics... still, it could well be the case that more people read ebooks on the iPhone/IPT than on Kindles! At least public domain books!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I use Stanza as well and find it excellent. They claim to have had over 500,000 downloads from the App Store which must make it one of the most popular eBook readers in the world? However I guess one must take those statistics with a pinch of salt as being a free download many people will download it and never use it in anger.
My wife has an iPod Touch and we did download eReader. But we don't use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote