Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
jpenglish
jpenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Adobe DE, MS Reader, Mobipocket Reader, Sony 505
Data Fetch Through Proxy...

I'm getting a winsock 10060 error when I try to fetch from librarything and isbndb.com at the office, but no problem from home.

Are there proxy settings that I can configure in Calibre, or is it simply not possible to do this through proxy?

Thanks-------------------------jp english
jpenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
on windows calibre tries to autodetect your proxy settings from the registry. To see what it's detecting:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre import get_proxies; print get_proxies()"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
GrimReaperLu
GrimReaperLu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Proxy not detected

As this is my first post, I'd like to say thank you for Calibre - good work.

I ran the get_proxies() script and the reply was {}

I use a reverse proxy with username and password, configured in Internet Explorer.

My PC is running XP, IE 7, Calibre 0.4.83

Fetch News from the BBC produces the following log:

('URLError', u""):
Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 760, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 729, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\feeds \convert_from.py", line 42, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\web\feeds\main.p y", line 114, in run_recipe
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 473, in download
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 586, in build_index
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 781, in parse_feeds
File "mechanize\_mechanize.pyo", line 203, in open
File "mechanize\_mechanize.pyo", line 229, in _mech_open
File "mechanize\_opener.pyo", line 181, in open
File "urllib2.pyo", line 399, in _open
File "urllib2.pyo", line 360, in _call_chain
File "mechanize\_http.pyo", line 700, in http_open
File "mechanize\_http.pyo", line 677, in do_open
URLError:
Log:
GrimReaperLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try setting the http_proxy environment variable. A quick googling will tel you how to set environment variables in windows.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
GrimReaperLu

Problem solved

That works, thanks.

Here's what I did:

I looked in my Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and found there was an automatic configuration script set to
Code:
http://autoproxy.aaa.bbb.ccc:88/proxy.pac
Your settings might include the address of the proxy server in the bottom half of this window, in which case skip the next step.

I opened this link and it gave me a script, which contained the address of the proxy it would use:
PROXY 123.123.123.123:8888

Open the Start menu, right click on My Computer and select Properties. On the Advanced tab click Environment variables.

Click on New to create a User Variable called http_proxy
set the value to:
Code:
http://grimreaperlu:uncrackabl3@123.123.123.123:8888
Code:
(http://<username>:<password>@<proxy server ip>:<proxy server port>)
damn, now I've given away my password.

Click OK to close the dialogue boxes. Note that the get_proxy() script still returns {}, but don't panic yet.

Go to http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/news.html and copy the basic news recipe which accesses the BBC, paste this into notepad and save as myrecipe.py in a folder.

Open a cmd window and CD to the folder. Run the command
Code:
feeds2disk --debug --test myrecipe.py
At the end you should see something like:
Code:
100% Article downloaded: 'Big Bang' experiment starts well
100% Feeds downloaded to C:\Documents and Settings\grimreaperlu\index.html
100% Download finished
Restart calibre and try to Fetch News - Oh My God, it's working.

To tidy up in the folder where you saved myrecipe.py, delete the following files:

myrecipe.py
index.html
index.ncx
index.opf
library1.db

don't delete these if it's the folder containing your real library database!
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
GrimReaperLu

Oh yes

If your proxy doesn't use a username and password just leave it out and set the environment variable to
Code:
http://<proxy server ip>:<proxy server port>
Old 12-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
stvno
stvno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
On the other hand, I'm using a proxy. No problem to fetch but do have problem to send to my kindle 3 @free.kindle.com or other email e.g. @gmail.com

Email Oriental Dailly to stuo@free.kindle.com
connect: (u'smtp.gmail.com', 587)
connect: (587, u'smtp.gmail.com')

Sending failed...
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 116, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 170, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 103, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 303, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 281, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 567, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Email abco stvno@gmail.com

Sending failed...
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
stvno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #8
stvno
stvno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Email Oriental Dailly to stuo@free.kindle.com

Sending failed...
stvno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
puroverso
puroverso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had the same problem, it turned out to be the McAfee antivirus. I have the Enterprise version 8.5, and it was the component called "access protection" which prevented Calibre from sending e-mails.
puroverso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
The Gray Man
The Gray Man began at the beginning.

I'm having the same problem as STVNO - I can't email my Kindle via Calibre, getting the 10060 error. I do have McAfee installed, but Access Protection is turned off. I have a proxy (which is configured in IE/Firefox), and I'm behind a firewall at work.

Any ideas?

Ian
The Gray Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Check the firewall settings.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
barena
barena began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
no fetch data news Proxy Authentication Required

Hi
sorry but getting news with calibre recipe (vers.0.7.59 on WIN 7) I always get proxy authentication error "HTTP Error 407: Proxy Authentication Required" (ISA server) from my pc on a large windows network.
The proxy address come regular to calibre from window registry.
From my pc I use ie 8 to surf free on internet because the authentication credentials are the same (for isa) of logon on windows network, but why calibre did not properly those handle ?
I try to set in any way the http_proxy environment variable but I get the same error. Is frustrating.
For a program in some of its notable features is access to the internet, it seems to me a certain weight because of not properly handle the network access via proxy. I am very sorry .

greetings
barena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperLu View Post
If your proxy doesn't use a username and password just leave it out and set the environment variable to
Code:
http://<proxy server ip>:<proxy server port>
barena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #13
elvisbrown
elvisbrown began at the beginning.

Proxy issues

I using Win 7 64bit and VPN to connect into a corporate network. I cannot get beyond the same error mentioned above about proxy authentication required. I am computer literate and am frustrated over this.

Given how widespread is the use of Calibre, especially with the ever increasing numbers of Kindles around, Calibre has become a mainstream application. To not have a configurable proxy setting raises a serious question as to why?

I would also cite the number of people that use it at work (or try to) all my colleagues are equally as frustrated as I am.

So I'd like to request that the inclusion of a configurable proxy setting be regarded with a different priority than it has in the past.

Seriously, for an application with this level of sophistication and functionality, I can't find anything even remotely as useful anywhere! it is alone in its class. For it to fail to function (easily) in a corporate environment is missing out on a huge following.

Beyond that I am humbly grateful for Calibre as it is.

Kudos to you
elvisbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisbrown View Post
Given how widespread is the use of Calibre, especially with the ever increasing numbers of Kindles around, Calibre has become a mainstream application. To not have a configurable proxy setting raises a serious question as to why?

calibre supports configurable HTTP proxies. Simply set the http_proxy environment variable correctly. Unfortunately, corporate networks use all manner of crap instead of a simple HTTP proxy. Things like SOCKS proxies for example, which are nowhere near as easy to support.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
elvisbrown
elvisbrown began at the beginning.

Granted it can be messy if you are relying on environment variables...but I do not have similar problems with apps like DropBox where you can enter the proxy details.

Just out of interest, is it much of a job to add proxy support?

I've been following requests for this for a while and I have imagined that there must be some fundamental reason in the architecture of Calibre that makes this difficult?

Regards
elvisbrown is offline   Reply With Quote