Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #256
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
Hi there!
Was the idea of applying dithering to the b/w covers abandoned?
I'd like to have that functionality, but I see Kovid's GH repository doesn't have that modification yet.
Is there a way I can apply the patch myself to my installation?
This one is on me. I kept putting it off due to time. And then forgot about it. When the changes Kovid is making now are released, if someone wants to look at it again, I'll be happy to test. Image manipulation isn't one of my things, so I'll leave it to the experts
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:27 AM   #257
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kovidgoyal: Except apparently QImage forcibly skips dithering when converting to an indexed format, which is going to look terrible :/.

I'll see how it actually behaves when I have some more time, because the QT docs are gloriously sneaky, so all may not be lost .
(Note to self: i.e., hopefully, we can get a real dither + remap when converting to Format_Grayscale8).

@davidfor: Same here, I wanted to give it time to stew a bit and actually test it in the long run on my device after addressing your comments, and then the hidden Nickel dithering options came up... So then I wanted to check how that would all interact together.... And then promptly forgot about the lot of it.
But I've been using a patched Calibre build for a year now, and my covers indeed look great, so, there's that .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-07-2016 at 01:37 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #258
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I am writing my own octree based quantization implementation, I'll probably add a layer of Floyd-Steinberg dithering on top.

QImage.convertToFormat takes options to turn on/off dithering. As far as I can tell the default is to dither when converting to Indexed8
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #259
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Could all images in an ePub be dithered using an eInk color palette on a send to the device?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #260
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe: I finished up my implementation of image quantization.

from calibre.utils.img import quantize_image

you can give it a predefined color palette if you dont want it to choose one for you, but doing that will have sub-optimal results. It includes dithering that can be turned off.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #261
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kovidgoyal: Fantastic, thanks .

I'll take a look next time I have a few spare braincells to dedicate to the task .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #262
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just upgraded calibre to version 2.58, I think I was on 2.56 previously. (Linux 64-bit)

I have the 'Send black and white covers' option ticked in the KoboTouch driver, but I just noticed that the ePub covers being sent to my Glo are in colour.

I checked other covers on my Glo for ePubs sent recently and the ones sent before the upgrade are all greyscale, as expected.

Edit: Fixed in Calibre version 2.59, thanks.

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-19-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Fixed in Calibre version 2.59
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #263
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I just upgraded calibre to version 2.58, I think I was on 2.56 previously. (Linux 64-bit)

I have the 'Send black and white covers' option ticked in the KoboTouch driver, but I just noticed that the ePub covers being sent to my Glo are in colour.

I checked other covers on my Glo for ePubs sent recently and the ones sent before the upgrade are all greyscale, as expected.
This may be an unwanted side effect in the Graphics functions in Calibre 2.57
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #264
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that is a side-effect of removing ImageMagick. The grey scale conversion hasn't been implemented in the new image handling routines.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #265
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@davidfor: grayscaling is implemented, I just made a typo that caused it to not happen -- now fixed.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #266
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@Kovid: OK. I remembered discussing it with you and couldn't remember if you had implemented it.

And I had to look at the fix. If it had been me, the typo would have been because I use the "correct" spelling in one place.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #267
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The 'Send black and white covers' option is working again in Calibre 2.59, thanks Kovid and David.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #268
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Hi,

I thought of using this thread instead of using a new one. As per calibre 2.65, a new option has been added to the Kobo driver for device collections which should be ignored for synchronization and such.

It works well if there is any book associated to the collection, but if the collection is empty and the option for remove empty collections is checked, the collection is remoed. Is this the expected behavior?

Thank you
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #269
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I thought of using this thread instead of using a new one. As per calibre 2.65, a new option has been added to the Kobo driver for device collections which should be ignored for synchronization and such.

It works well if there is any book associated to the collection, but if the collection is empty and the option for remove empty collections is checked, the collection is remoed. Is this the expected behavior?
I'll admit I didn't even think of that, but it wasn't intended. I'll fix it.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:40 AM   #270
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll admit I didn't even think of that, but it wasn't intended. I'll fix it.
Thank you, I wasn't sure it it was something intended or forgotten, so I thought it was safer to ask.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo