Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm so excited!

After three years of purchasing Kindle books, I just got my very first notification that one of the ebooks I purchased has an updated version available!!

I was beginning to think that email was an urban legend—chupacabra—but it's real!!

Now if I hadn't already spruced the ebook up to my own personal standards and/or had any desire to re-read it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
I've never seen such a thing. Which book was it?
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
After three years of purchasing Kindle books, I just got my very first notification that one of the ebooks I purchased has an updated version available!!

I was beginning to think that email was an urban legend—chupacabra—but it's real!!

Now if I hadn't already spruced the ebook up to my own personal standards and/or had any desire to re-read it.
Me too.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
I've never seen such a thing. Which book was it?
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1-5), by Hugh Howey. Excellent book(s) in my opinion, I'm just not much of a re-reader.

Quote:
The version you received had the following issues that have been corrected:

Some sections of book text disappear or are very faint when reading this title on
devices or applications using a black or sepia background.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
I saw that, but haven't read the book(s) yet. Think I saw it on another one as well, but don't remember which book. (So it must work!)
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1-5), by Hugh Howey. Excellent book(s) in my opinion, I'm just not much of a re-reader.
Yep... Noticed Hugh mention the problem on his blog and later got the same email. Not the first for me, though. Got updates on a couple of books, including Lord of the Rings. You just don't read the good stuff.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Nice to know it exist!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You just don't read the good stuff.
It's true, my taste in books normally sucks. Shhh... don't tell anyone.

Wool was also updated to a KF8 version—if the device you're using supports it (not that the KF8 version really looks any different. )
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've recently gotten updates to 3 books, but you have to respond to the email and then the updated version gets sent OTA to every device on the account that has the book loaded. Apparently, the online library doesn't get updated. At least that's what customer service told me. That doesn't make sense.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Apparently, the online library doesn't get updated. At least that's what customer service told me. That doesn't make sense.
You're right, it doesn't make sense. Mostly because it's not true.

If I re-download from my archive (after clicking on the update button) in Kindle for PC, I get the updated version. I also just tried downloading directly from the Manage My Kindle page at Amazon for usb transfer to my Kindle and it's the updated version as well.

Sounds like a green CS representative. If your devices are on, it will push the update to them... but you can also manually download it anytime you want.

At least that's how it's worked the whopping one time I've done it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
Hugh I got a new version notification in the first month.
The book was The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References).

It was the one and only new version notification I got for a book.
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If your devices are on, it will push the update to them... but you can also manually download it anytime you want.
So how can you tell if the one in the library is the updated one if you don't know what the updates are? The dates on all 3 of my books are still the original (June, July and August 2010).
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The things we get excited about...

Was there any difference in the way it looked on your Kindle (assuming you looked at the updated file and not your spruced up version)?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
So how can you tell if the one in the library is the updated one if you don't know what the updates are? The dates on all 3 of my books are still the original (June, July and August 2010).
Well, I guess if you don't know/can't see the changes, that you just have to take their word for it.

Mine still has the same purchase date in my Amazon library, too. I just happen to know what the changes are compared to the old version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur
Was there any difference in the way it looked on your Kindle (assuming you looked at the updated file and not your spruced up version)?
On the Kindle itself? Nope. Not a bit. The source of the file was different when I unpacked the updated Kindle file, but it didn't render any differently on the Kindle that I could see.

It looked different on the Kindle App, though (mostly because KF8 versions don't do multi-column reading mode).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Talldog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Was there any difference in the way it looked on your Kindle
Not that I've noticed. I assumed that they were correcting typos. Several of my Nero Wolfe books have quite a few typos in them. It's not something you keep track of, but the typos are quite annoying when you're reading the book. And I do periodically reread them.