Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Removing the "Welcome to Kobo" and "Kobo Read On" ePubs

Has anyone successfully removed these two preloaded epubs from their Kobo?

Both times I have tried to remove them (once via Calibre and once by using the Delete option on the Kobo itself) I have earned myself a Storage Error. I've also got Storage Errors from doing other random things like loading books and trying to read but as I now have very few books on my Kobo (makes it easier when you need to do a reset to only have to reload 2 or 3 books instead of 200-300!) having these instruction manuals really annoys me.

Should I be brave and try to delete them again??
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Personally, I just leave them there now, taking a moment in library view to Mark as Finished 'em so that they're off the main screen.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes they are finished. I suppose it's silly but they just bug me - I really don't understand why but I want them gone ...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
You will get the storage error no matter what you do. Only way to stop that is to not use the broken reader. (Yes I'm bitter and teed right off at it) far as I'm concerned Kobo has stolen my money as the reader is useless since it deletes your books every 3-4 days.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Strange, I had no trouble just deleting them... No storage errors either.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic

It was probably just a coincidence. About the only thing I can say with certainty about the Storage Error is that every time it has happened on my Touch I was breathing air at the same time! But at least it doesn't happen everytime I breath... Everything seems to be a variable...

Last edited by HarleyB; 08-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you get a storage error, just cancel. That seems to work from what I've read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
HarleyB
Fanatic

That works if you just want to finish the book you are reading (but apparently not for everyone!)
But once I have the error I can't get new books onto the Kobo until I reset. I'm a fast reader and I need new books every few days.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
ChrisHaycox
ChrisHaycox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
You will get the storage error no matter what you do. Only way to stop that is to not use the broken reader. (Yes I'm bitter and teed right off at it) far as I'm concerned Kobo has stolen my money as the reader is useless since it deletes your books every 3-4 days.

I was thinking of buying one but if it really deletes your books that would be pretty pointless. Wow
ChrisHaycox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Well Chris, I would say that your mileage may vary. I have had no problems with my KT. Obviously, others have.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaycox View Post
I was thinking of buying one but if it really deletes your books that would be pretty pointless. Wow
You will lose anything in main memory and thus have to reload (Kobo store stuff will do that automatically when it applies the update after the factory reset) them. Anything on a microSD card (glad I bought a cheapo 4GB one the other day; it'll be more than large enough) will stay there - but you'll lose your position in any books you were reading.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaycox View Post
Chris; the issue is a bug right now. If the Storage error happens you can either ignore it, or do a reset. If you do a reset, the unit gets reinitialized, but, will redownload any material in Kobo eBook format from their website when you reinitialize it, or, you can manually readd any true ePubs via either ADE, Calibre, or direct copy.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you get a storage error, just cancel. That seems to work from what I've read.
this, as far as i can tell it doesn't do the rest it self so as long as you hit cancel it shouldn't do the reset, however it may stop you from actually syncing the kobo but id you use calibre or other source it don't matter since you won't be syncing.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote