Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
albogango
albogango began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Compressed Manga

I've been trying for several months now to read manga on my Sony PRS-650 under the best viewing options. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to achieve them. I've been converting zip files to LRF (I also tried EPUB) using Calibre. However, when they become book files, the new images are hugely compressed from their original counterparts. They are so compressed that even the slightest zoom makes the image instantaneously blurry and the words hard to read. Because of this, I have been forced to compromise the aspect ratio of the original scans and stretch the pictures in order to fit the screen entirely for the biggest size. (Zoom is out of the question.) Is there any way to convert the files onto the reader without losing their resolution from the original images??
albogango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Have you tried converting to PDF instead of LRF? I did that with a chapter of a b&w webcomic, and it worked fine for me on the 650.

Otherwise, this seems more like a Calibre question than a Sony Reader question to me, so you might look in that forum section.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
halipleumon
halipleumon began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 350
i read a lot of manga using my prs-350. i've used a pdf printer, but i was never happy with the results when converting to pdf. i've been converting them to epub using calibre, and i find that the fit is very comfortable (and not compressed/blurry at all).
are they in .cbr/.cbz format before you're converting to a format that can be read on the device?
i usually convert a volume to either of those before letting calibre do it's thing, and i haven't had any issues.

Last edited by halipleumon; 06-28-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: should have read op more carefully
halipleumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
albogango

Well, since I am a bit OCD when it comes to things like this, I want the best possible viewing options. When converting to LRF, the only option I check off is "Right to left," (obviously) because checking off "Keep original aspect ratio" in the past did give me the original, unstretched image, however, very compressed. I would love it if it could give me the original resolution of the image, so that the picture fits into the horizontal borders with a zoom, (and not lose quality) while I would have to scroll up for the entire vertical image. Is there any option on calibre that would give me this full original image?

And I just tried PDF. Looks like quality is lost with all of em. Oh well. I guess I'll have to continue with the stretched images for now.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
spirou
spirou began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
There's a japanese free software named "chainlp" to convert pdf manga to epub which works perfectly.
Sorry, the link is in japanese (use google translation tools), but when you run the program, you can switch the language to english:
http://no722.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/chainlp/
spirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
albogango

This program is very difficult to use. Could you write down all the steps I have to take to convert the files?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
grogthegreat
grogthegreat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry for bumping an old thread but in case the OP or anyone searching (do people actually do that?!?) is still looking for a solution, I have a great answer.

The program that I've found is CantiGUI. You can find it at bitcake.com
For converting manga for eReader use, it does everything. While the program development is a one man show, the program is under active development and is extremely good.
grogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
albogango

Right, I just downloaded CantiGui. But I can't seem to open it. :/
Old 09-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
grogthegreat

If you read the requirements section you'll see that you need at least version 1.6 of the java runtime environment to open the program. To properly run the program you will also need imagemagick. You didn't mention it but I'm also going to assume that you also downloaded Canti itself and not just CantiGUI. If you just downloaded the .zip file and don't know how to open a .zip, than I can't help you.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
albogango

I downloaded it and opened it. But I can't figure out what to do next. Do I drag in a folder with PNG files or do I put in manga in a ZIP file?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
grogthegreat

Go to the settings tab and hit New. Pick a location to save the settings file and pick your device. Once you have a settings file you can go through the settings on the settings tab and change/choose any settings that you want. Make sure on the settings page that you have locations for imagemagick, pdftk, and winrar.
Once you have all the settings the way that you want them go to the Run tab. Click on the Parent Folder button to select the folder that has your manga series in it. Click the output button to select where you want the program to put the finished result. Enter a title (I suggest the manga name). Then hit the Run button and wait.