Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Books that are better as ebooks

This came up when I was posting in another thread, but it occurred to me that some of my books are better as ebooks.

For example, I have a print book called "Canon Rebel T1i - From Snapshots to Great Shots." It is a book that teaches me how to take better pictures with my DSLR camera.

But most times I take pictures, I am out in nature, without my library. But if I had this book as an ebook on my iPhone, then I could access the tips anytime.
So my next photography book will likely be electronic.

How about you? Are there any books you think work better for you as ebooks?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Any novel that weighs more than 8 oz. when printed?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Choose Your Own Adventures and quiz-type self-test books. No flipping back and forth through the pages to see if you got the right answer/go to whichever option section. One-click instant gratification.

Of course, this only works on readers which support internal link navigation and the "back" button function in some way.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Any book that won't fit in my pocket. Also any book in which I might want to do a word search. Or maybe anything I might want to do a dictionary search on.

Have I covered everything, I think not, but the above pretty much narrows it down to everything except coffee table books, which are really accent pieces rather than books anyway.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
jackdrew
Author
jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jackdrew knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Pandigital Novel
I have to say, I prefer having books in ebook format. You can carry a few hundred around in your pocket on your iPhone/Android and not have to worry about forgetting them.

I happen to think any technical book--let's say an automotive repair book, even--would be better as an ebook. The only caveat is, you'd need a good size screen to read the more detailed technical books with images.

-Jack
jackdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Any mass-market paperback imo, and some trades.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
This came up when I was posting in another thread, but it occurred to me that some of my books are better as ebooks.

For example, I have a print book called "Canon Rebel T1i - From Snapshots to Great Shots." It is a book that teaches me how to take better pictures with my DSLR camera.

But most times I take pictures, I am out in nature, without my library. But if I had this book as an ebook on my iPhone, then I could access the tips anytime.
So my next photography book will likely be electronic.

How about you? Are there any books you think work better for you as ebooks?
Thick and heavy computer books! I do have one of MySQL and MS-SQL, which actually are better and faster to read on their ebook's version.

I've configured and repair my Linux server using my iPad too ( reading a book, of course). I can move faster from one page to another and use it on low light conditions.

By the way, and off topic, if you are into photography, I do recommend you these two titles, ebooks of course:

-Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition
-The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Any book without diagrams is better as an ebook for me.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
What helps me is a good cookbook. Face it, I need as much help as I can in that regard!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Before I got my Kindle, I would have said "the usual fiction fare". Now that I'm used to using it, my answer would be "anything text-dominant that's bigger/heavier than my Kindle", which is almost everything I read except heavily illustrated history or science volumes. I still love paper books, but they seem a lot clunkier to me now. If it doesn't have pretty pictures, I'd rather read the e-version.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
"Infinite Jest" was (finally!) released as an eBook here in the UK today, and strikes me as perfect eBook material: It's physically huge in paper form, and has almost 400 endnotes that should work nicely as hyperlinks.

I really hope it's not going to be one of these silly "Kindle exclusives" - neither Waterstones nor Kobo seem to have it yet :/

Edit:

Yay - just appeared on Kobobooks

Last edited by MrTeatime; 04-15-2011 at 06:25 PM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
To me, any book is better in ebook format as I seem to actually read them. If the books are in pp format I will not even take one into my hands.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Books that are big and heavy with really small type (such as Outlander. Actually when I saw Outlander being offered as a free ebook, that really spurred me to start my ereader research).

I am a birdwatcher and my favorite guide is the Sibley guide. But it's big and heavy with all full-color pages on heavy stock. I walk for hours when I bird, so I hate to carry a heavy book. When I got my iphone, I was thrilled to get the Sibley guide as an app (30 bucks!! That's an expensive app!). I will always have my phone with me in the field, therefore I will always have my Sibley! As a bonus, you can click on a bird's page to hear the birdcalls, too.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Any book that I wouldn't want people to know I was reading - true crime, erotica, teen novels. (I'm 47)

I don't do romance, but if I did, I would feel kind of stupid in public reading one with a cheesy cover ... pretty much all of them.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Anything with lots of names or places to keep track of. Having a search function has made my reading life so much easier.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote