Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #106
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Good stuff, and thank you. One nitpick, however: I concur on the quality of Karl Schroeder, but he's not a Macmillan author. Karl is published by Tor Books. Tor is a unit of Holtzbrink, and Macmillan is Holtzbrink's US umbrella, which also includes Farrar, Strauss, and Giroux, Henry Holt, Palgrave Macmillan, Scientific American, St. Martin's Press, and others, but that's a different matter.
______
Dennis
Ah, fair enough then, thanks. Even worse if there are multinationals all the way down.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #107
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
After thinking a bit more, I can recommend a couple of series by Roger MacBride Allen. The first is two books , "The Torch of Honor" and "Rogue Powers". The first book is an almost classic space yarn.

The second series is "The Ring of Charon" and "the Shattered Sphere", and are almost classic space opera. The Scale of events is really large, and science details get thrown around quickly.

The third series is "The Depths of Time", "the Ocean of Years" and "The Shores of Tomorrow". A single story in three parts, time travel and terraforming. Also in this series is a rather interesting thought about electronic databases vs hardcopy for storing the knowledge of the human race. Hint: electronic versions can be corrupted too damn easily.

Allen also wrote some decent Star Wars books, but I consider them lesser works (although almost by definition, they're space opera...)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #108
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I have seen the name before, but not those. Can only write about what I remember/know about or have seen (and more recently). So I'll check it out. Thanks, sounds interesting.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #109
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Any recommendations about human colonization and the struggle of humanity to survive and war with with other alien races?

Something along the line of Saga of Seven Suns, Xelee war etc. Something epic and galaxy spanning...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #110
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Gregory Benford's Galactic Centre is like the Xeelee a little, Alastair Reynolds Inhibitor Trilogy - Revelation Space, etc. , Gary Gibson, Neal Asher's Polity has parts with the Prador War
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #111
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Hmmmm. Yes. And The Vortex Blaster is set in the Lensman universe, but not part of the Lensman sequence.

Another stand-alone space opera from Smith is The Galaxy Primes.
I personally found The Vortex Blaster to be a fine addition to the Lensman universe. If you like other Lensman books, you'll like Vortex Blaster

I personally found The Galaxy Primes to be disjointed and tedious.

YMMV
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #112
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
I personally found The Vortex Blaster to be a fine addition to the Lensman universe. If you like other Lensman books, you'll like Vortex Blaster

I personally found The Galaxy Primes to be disjointed and tedious.

YMMV
I didn't find The Galaxy Primes as tedious as you did, but I concur it's not up to the Lensman series.

It is space opera, with a premise that would have benefited from expansion. I wonder if what got published got cut to fit space requirements.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #113
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
After thinking a bit more, I can recommend a couple of series by Roger MacBride Allen. The first is two books , "The Torch of Honor" and "Rogue Powers". The first book is an almost classic space yarn.

The second series is "The Ring of Charon" and "the Shattered Sphere", and are almost classic space opera. The Scale of events is really large, and science details get thrown around quickly.
Seconded. All of those books are excellent, and I re-read them regularly.

The Torch of Honor actually has some realistic spaceflight technology (ignoring the FTL drive, of course). And it does a great job of involving the reader with the heroic protagonist in his struggle against the incredibly evil invaders. Starships, epic space battles, undercover insurgent actions in enemy occupied territories, what's not to like?

The Ring of Charon and The Shattered Sphere are just flat-out awesome. The science is reasonably hard, but the scale and scope is truly of space opera dimensions. And the ending in the second novel is very satisfying, unlike so many space operas.

I'd love those two novels to be made into blockbuster movies.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #114
nyrath
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Any recommendations about human colonization and the struggle of humanity to survive and war with with other alien races?

Something along the line of Saga of Seven Suns, Xelee war etc. Something epic and galaxy spanning...
The previously mentioned The Ring of Charon and The Shattered Sphere.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #115
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Crusader, a notable recent set of stories about ``human colonization and the struggle of humanity to survive and war with with other alien races'' would be John Scalzi's:

Old Man's War
The Ghost Brigades
The Last Colony

Just finished reading _The Ghost Brigades_ and found it interesting (but irritatingly filled w/ typos).

Also, while it doesn't have colonization, Harry Turtledove's _Vilcabamba_ is a thought-provoking story of war w/ an alien race:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/02/vilcabamba

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 02-04-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added Turtledove story
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #116
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Got Alastair Reynolds. Read Revelation Space, but still need to read the rest.
Have to complete Neal Asher series on their way via surface mail, so will only get them by March or so.
Will check out Benford. His stuff seem to be expensive though in comparison with more modern releases.
Have read Old Man's War and liked it. Will definitely get the rest of that series.

Haven't heard about The Ring of Charon and The Shattered Sphere , will see if I can track them down. I see it was supposed to be a Trilogy, but the third book hasn't been written (and might not ever be). Would that detract from the series? I despise getting hooked on a series and then left hanging.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #117
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Found this one for free at Smashwords. Do not think it has been mentioned yet, if so apologies. It is interesting to go through. Some of them are iffy as being true space opera.

Here is the link:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15662?ref=inkmesh
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #118
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Re-read them. There actually is a female Lensman toward the end. (More then one, when you count the Children of the Lens.) But lack of a Lens for females has nothing to do with weakness, and is more to do with lack of need.

If you want to look at it that way, you can make a case that males are the weak ones, because they require the artificial aids to do things the females accomplish naturally. (Consider Jill Sams playing Herkimer Herkimer the 3rd in _First Lensman_.)
______
Dennis
Sorry, but I can't agree with you. I didn't make it to the end of the series because I was sufficiently put off by these issues. I won't have access to my (paper) books until late May so there's no way for me to re-read before then.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #119
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Beyond the Chanur novels, CJ Cherryh has lots of space opera, especially Rimrunners, Heavy Time and Hellburner, not to mention the Foreigner universe trilogies.

For mercenaries with a strong female protagonist, try Tara K. Harper's Cat Scratch Fever and Cataract.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #120
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
I didn't read CatScratch, but will have a look at it.
Just wanted to note that CJ Cherry's Heavy Time and Hellburner are available as ebooks from the "Closed Circle" site
http://www.closed-circle.net/WhereItsAt/?page_id=71
As one third of the site, she receives the entire totality of proceeds for her books there.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote