Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
CoolReader for Pocketbook IQ

I was trying to see about potential ways of rooting the IQ, and I guessed The-Ebook.ru people were more knowledgeable, so I dug out Google Translate and wandered for a while. While I was at that, I discovered this little thing here.

*Disclaimer* I don't know if it works, or if it's in any other language than Russian.

*Remember* In order for it to be installed, you must switch the extension from .Zip to .apk. I don't know why it doesn't let me package it in a zip, so I came across this workaround.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cr3_0_37.zip (2.18 MB, 309 views)
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It installs.
But it crashes at launch.
Anybody having better luck?
Update: I nuked the IQ, reloaded the firmware.
Now it installss and runs properly.
No russian in sight.
Two column landscape mode.
Looks like a contender.
Going to take some testing..

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-09-2010 at 08:21 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
syoggy
syoggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, NookColor, and Pocketbook IQ
I found another version http://www.android-underground.org/2...cool-reader-3/

Installed it on my IQ looks pretty nice, have some ePubs and tried one out, looked decent.

Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoggy View Post
I found another version http://www.android-underground.org/2...cool-reader-3/

Installed it on my IQ looks pretty nice, have some ePubs and tried one out, looked decent.

Steve
That's an interesting website, the Android Underground.
BTW, their linked coolreader is dated 11/26/10 internally while Logseman's is dated 12/08/10. (apks are zip files so making a copy and renaming them as zips lets you peek inside them. A good way to see which package is newer.)

Not sure why it wouldn't run before but now that it is running, I am happy to *finally* see an android Reader App that approaches the PB360 in flexibility.
If nothing else it is the first reader I've seen that properly Pages instead of sliding or scrolling. Which means new pages pop up *fast*.

Add in margin, line-spacing, and font size controls, dual-page landscape and the ability to banish the title bar and page with the volume buttons as well as screen taps and I'm just about ready to stop testing reader apps.

Coolreader may not be Kindle or Aldiko pretty but it's looking like the best reader app for DRM-free content on Android. And for that, Kindle and Overdrive (or Aldiko 2) should suffice.

The IQ is shaping up nicely.
Now, if only they'd fix the app installation space issue...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
kalle17
kalle17 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302, PocketBook IQ701
Developer of Cool Reader for android (Buggins) usually places latest releases on Russian forum 4PDA for free download (here http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=191747)
kalle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
I like coolreader the best so far. I like the tap and quick page turns. Also, the many adjustments that can be made.

Edit: is there a way to open the books?

Last edited by Palladin; 12-10-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Edit: Now that I have used it more, I can not figure out how to access my library of books. Recommendations?
Where are they?
The home screen (or the file open) let you navigate the file tree of the IQ and the SD card separately. But it only shows folders with compatible files.
Is your ebook folder buried or something?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Palladin
Connoisseur

I finally found the ebooks using open file, it would not open one but I found my other ereaders would not either so I have a bad book.

New Question: Can I use "library" and set it to open using cool reader instead of default?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Right now the Library app is hardwired to the PB Reader app.
It has been suggested that being able to assign different extensions to different apps would be a *good thing*. Where the change is implemented is undetermined.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Palladin
Connoisseur

Is there a way to access the dictionary when using Cool Reader?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
CoolReader

Buggins CoolReader
Attached Files
File Type: zip cr3_0_37.zip (2.13 MB, 283 views)
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Palladin
Connoisseur

Thanks for the udpated version. I see dictionary in the options page, but still do not know how to access it when reading an ebook.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Thanks for the udpated version. I see dictionary in the options page, but still do not know how to access it when reading an ebook.
I ... errm ... don't like coolreader. Sorry Fork!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
*edit* Maybe it's too spartan? It has the Roskyetvok taste: lotsa features, but a poor GUI, no help and no documentation.

Last edited by Logseman; 12-12-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Wrong language ^^
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
Palladin
Connoisseur

I like the page turn by just tapping the side of the page along with the fast page turn. I have not found another ereader that does this. Am I missing one ( maybe the one you like)?

Logseman, I agree, I sure cant find any documentation.