Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
FoxMCloud
FoxMCloud began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need a good college textbook reader device

Hi. I'm looking to buy a quality device for reading mostly college textbooks (pdfs with lots of diagrams and images). Shall I go for the iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad Mini retina, Google Nexus 7/10 or the Nook HD+?
Thank you.
FoxMCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I have the iPad Mini Retina and can read complex/large PDFs on it - however I have very very good near vision with my glasses (which are for high myopia) off

If you don't, or if you just prefer a larger device and a small size isn't a greatly desired characteristic: the Air, if you can afford it, is going to be your best choice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
FoxMCloud
FoxMCloud began at the beginning.

Device: none
Isn't the iPad Air an overkill? I just need a good pdf reader.
FoxMCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMCloud View Post
Isn't the iPad Air an overkill? I just need a good pdf reader.
You mentioned it in your initial post, so I assumed it was not out of reach for you. If you want the best experience reading PDFs that were laid out for an A4 page, the iPad Air is it, because of the combination of its size, weight, and aspect ratio. You may find that a smaller/differently shaped tablet works for you and is worth it in terms of value-for-money, but no-one else can tell you that from here.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMCloud View Post
Hi. I'm looking to buy a quality device for reading mostly college textbooks (pdfs with lots of diagrams and images). Shall I go for the iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad Mini retina, Google Nexus 7/10 or the Nook HD+?
Thank you.
It also depends a lot on your reading enviroment.

If you need to read a lot outside in the sun or inside the room with a lot of bulbs around you should consider bigger e-ink or good anti-glare matte protector, at least as your secondary device.

Since using good anti-glare matte protector will reduce the sharpness of retina display to an averagely sharp looking display, it is not bad idea to buy cheaper used iPad 1 instead of iPad 3 or 4 as secondary tablet.

Last edited by markom; 01-03-2014 at 11:34 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The HD+ is probably the best value out there right now for a relatively large screen tablet. It performs well and has a very nice screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote