Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
chigozie
chigozie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle Web Remote Control

Hi,
I've coded a simple remote control for my Kindle 4 NT, but it should work with any kindle which has physical buttons. It is accessed in a browser on my phone.

Instructions are here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Kind...emote-Control/

I hope it's useful!
chigozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
tiny point. anything on /mnt/us is executable already

Quote:
Make serverstart.sh executable (chmod u+x serverstart.sh)
not required.

cool project.

EDIT: you could put together a busybox that provides inetd without too much pain. perhaps even the one for the 3 I built already has that in... you could Frankenstein that in perhaps.
There are some notes on making a busybox the buildroot way kicking about.

Last edited by twobob; 01-21-2013 at 10:25 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle4NT
ip

Cool. But there is one little problem. If you have automatic DHCP, you have to find your kindle's ip every time you connect it ti wifi. So, it would be much better to add to your serverstart.sh something like this:

Code:
killall -stop cvm 2>/dev/null
eips -c
IP=`lipc-get-prop com.lab126.wifid 711 | grep IP | sed -e 's/.*: *//'`
eips 14 7 $IP
eips 10 20 "Press DOWN to exit"
waitforkey 108
eips ''
killall -cont cvm 2>/dev/null
And you definitely don't need usbnet hack to have httpd and ssh over wifi.

Last edited by drauger; 01-22-2013 at 01:18 AM.
drauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
chigozie
chigozie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by drauger View Post
Cool. But there is one little problem. If you have automatic DHCP, you have to find your kindle's ip every time you connect it ti wifi. So, it would be much better to add to your serverstart.sh something like this:

Code:
killall -stop cvm 2>/dev/null
eips -c
IP=`lipc-get-prop com.lab126.wifid 711 | grep IP | sed -e 's/.*: *//'`
eips 14 7 $IP
eips 10 20 "Press DOWN to exit"
waitforkey 108
eips ''
killall -cont cvm 2>/dev/null
Good idea, although not useful for me personally because
1) my ip address is static, at least until I get my university wifi access working
2) I can't get kite working, and launchpad doesn't work on the K4NT, so I have to ssh in to be able to start the script, which requires knowing the ip in the first place.
I'll add it to the instructable though, as it would probably be generally useful.

Quote:
And you definitely don't need usbnet hack to have httpd and ssh over wifi.
Really? How do you do it otherwise?
I could build a busybox which includes httpd and inetd as described by twobob above, and that would give me httpd, but how would I ssh in without usbnetwork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
anything on /mnt/us is executable already
Thanks, removed.
chigozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigozie View Post
I could build a busybox which includes httpd and inetd as described by twobob above, and that would give me httpd, but how would I ssh in without usbnetwork?
I use ssh over wifi without usbnetwork hack. Can't find proper link, sorry.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use ssh over wifi without usbnetwork hack. Can't find proper link, sorry.
I do too... (on the touch....)

In essence, start the dropbear process (or w/e is going to power this party), punch a hole in IPtables port 22, point one thing at the other. I didn't have usnbet on my touch for ages also, so I can confirm this works "on there".

Usbnetworking provisions this via USB in addition to wifi. You only require the wifi side though for what you discuss.

Niluje would give you the most comprehensive answer of the complete technical differences between simply provisioning remotely accessible ssh services on the device and his implementions' offerings.

But yup. doable. on a 4 OOTB? I dont know.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, there's no dropbear/sshd binary on the default FW (the exception being some early K4, in diags only, or if by miracle your device bypassed parts of the shipping/release process and was never reset to factory defaults).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Err, there's no dropbear/sshd binary on the default FW (the exception being some early K4, in diags only, or if by miracle your device bypassed parts of the shipping/release process and was never reset to factory defaults).
What he said.

So shove something on there to power it yourself or use the provided bundle
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
2) I can't get kite working, and launchpad doesn't work on the K4NT, so I have to ssh in to be able to start the script, which requires knowing the ip in the first place.
So install and use the new launcher.

This is the 21st century - You gotta keep up with the new technologies or your instructable will be out of date before you finish typing it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
drauger
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Err, there's no dropbear/sshd binary on the default FW
Right. But you can use dropbear/openssh from optware (as I do) or just build it together with httpd.

Quote:
I can't get kite working, and launchpad doesn't work on the K4NT
Kite works on K4NT, but very strange sometimes. I use sightly adapted CR3Runner.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@drauger: True, but I was mostly commenting on the default FW vs. USBNetwork, since that was kinda the point of USBNetwork: to ship a dropbear or OpenSSH binary targeted at the device .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Gingah
Gingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheese

Device: K4S B00E
Presumably this can be expanded to support keypad input, but is there some differing method for that, as opposed to echo "send NNN" > /proc/keypad? In the script he uses 104 and 109 for forward and back navigation, respectively. Found some reference keys here, but with the keypad open on my K4NT using for example echo "send 16" > /proc/keypad does not yield a Q input into it. Is there some specific precursory command to send input to the keypad?
Gingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
twobob

erm... if I recall correctly one emits a keypress event to lipc?

it's noted down here somewhere...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Gingah
Gingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheeseGingah can extract oil from cheese

Device: K4S B00E
Yeah I went through some thirty pages here, and a little bit through google, but I couldn't find the method for manipulating input in the keypad itself. I wanted to expand on the solution chigozie came up with and utilize my cellphone for controlling the kindle. The first few tests proved remarkably fast - near instant - so I think there might be some value to it. But finding the right post, or right information proved a little harder than I first thought (keyword juggling didn't help much either).
Gingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingah View Post
Yeah I went through some thirty pages here, and a little bit through google, but I couldn't find the method for manipulating input in the keypad itself. I wanted to expand on the solution chigozie came up with and utilize my cellphone for controlling the kindle. The first few tests proved remarkably fast - near instant - so I think there might be some value to it. But finding the right post, or right information proved a little harder than I first thought (keyword juggling didn't help much either).
Have you tried the 'advanced search' ?

While logged in -
Leave search text field empty, press the 'search button'.

That takes you to the advanced search page.

And then there is the prefix filters and the 'master index' sticky that may help.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote