Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
You know you've been using an eReader too much...

I'm still fairly young, only 28 years old, so it's definitely not age.

But I am also old enough to remember what's it like when computers were these slow useless boxes with horrible graphics, games were on video cassettes, and 14.4 kbps Internet was OMGWOW this is the future of flying cars and teleportation! So I'm definitely not born during the digital age and I have a very good idea what a type-writer, a paper book, etc. is... I've used those, I had fun with those, and I know them very well.

So I definitely did not expect this happen to me, ever:

When reading a book during lunch, I tap the right corner, wait, and tap it again, then freeze for a couple of seconds before realizing that the reason why the page isn't changing is because it's a paper book. :\

But yeah, that just happened to me during lunch. I guess I was so busy trying to understand the math and eating my lunch, and also way too used to reading with my tablet/eReader or working in excel on my tablet that my fingers just automatically went into the tapping mode. And 5 seconds, while don't seem that long by themselves, 5 seconds to realize what I was doing sure is embarrassing.

Is anyone else getting way too used to the digital world?
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch

While not (yet) trying to tap my paper books I do have a similar technological, uh, dislocation.

I have volume controls on my steering wheel and I use them a lot.
So when one of my kids says something too softly I turn up their volume (using my steering wheel buttons) and for a second I get mildly annoyed that it does not seem to work.
I know it's illogical and yet I keep doing it, at least every two weeks or so.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I have an iPhone 5. It's my first iPhone. I rebelled against it because of the touch screen, didn't want fingerprints etc and wanted the buttons of a Blackberry. I ditched the Blackberry for several reasons.

Now bear in mind I've only had this thing for a couple of months now. I needed to make use of my GPS to search for something and it gave me a list of locations that I tried to scroll through but for a few seconds couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. LOL I had to hit the down arrow not scroll the thing. LOL
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I haven't tapped a paperbook to change the page yet. But I have on numerous occasions tried to select an icon on my PC by touching the screen . I have also done that to phones that don't have touch screens.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I have held my finger on a word in a paper book to try to get a definition. And I have reached out to my desktop monitor with the intention of double tapping to zoom in.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've poked at words in a paper book wanting the dictionary definition. :-/ And that was before getting a touchscreen e-reader.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hah, I guess I no longer feel that bad for doing it.

And it gives me an idea. We need some kind of special glasses that can digitize paper books. Like that, if we poke a word, we get the whole definition of the word, meaning, related material. Or to translate it, or save it for bookmarks, etc.

It will sure make studying and taking notes a lot easier, and way more fun!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I keep touching my pc-monitor too, as it were a touch- screen. I also keep swiping with two fingers when using Safari on my iPad, because that's how it works on the Macbook.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I occasionally have found my self turning the page on my ereader like it was a paperback book. Or I flip the cover over to look at the cover of the book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I've started to "change the font" until I realized I could not :lol:
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I have both a Kindle and Kindle Touch. Sometimes I tap on the Kindle and nothing happens.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
A few times I have been reading a pbook and I tried to figure out where I should press to find out the time.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am too deep in the digital, electronic world. I can occasionally read a print book because I believe there is a certain nobility that comes with paper books as they have been around for centuries. So I will not entirely dismiss them but it is obvious that this cyber world of the internet is not the new thing in town anymore, it's part of our daily lives now.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I haven't tapped a paperbook to change the page yet. But I have on numerous occasions tried to select an icon on my PC by touching the screen . I have also done that to phones that don't have touch screens.
I do this all the time! I try to help my daughter use the computer and I tap on the screen, and tap on the screen, and tap, until she says, "Uh, mom, this isn't an iPad."
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I picked up a paperback a few months ago...but when discovered I couldn't enlarge the font (actually looked for the button) I gave up. I have also tried to touch an icon to open a program on the computer monitor-no luck there either.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote