Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #181
ItsMee
ItsMee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,

thank - was able to flash diags - still rebooting into diag mode doesn't work out, stuck with the tree after triggering diag in mfg_tool.. Strange, isn't it?

G:\fastboot>fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 4.852s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [ 5.413s]
finished. total time: 10.265s

ItsMee
ItsMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #182
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMee View Post
Hi,

thank - was able to flash diags - still rebooting into diag mode doesn't work out, stuck with the tree after triggering diag in mfg_tool.. Strange, isn't it?

G:\fastboot>fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [ 4.852s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [ 5.413s]
finished. total time: 10.265s

ItsMee
Did you flash the matching diags kernel? Now that updates have different kernels, that is important. The download URLs for kernels are at the "forensics" link in the sticky.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #183
ItsMee

I've upgrade the kindle to 5.1.0 last week - now I used the image from mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.1.0.img.gz, so I should be good?

Is the boot process outlined somewhere? Its not clear to me where it could fail. Is the bootloader calling mmcblk0p[123] content directly or is there another boot partition involved that could be faulty?

/Edit: Rereading - do I need to flash / use the kernel, too? Or just pick a mmcblk0p2 with a matching kindle version? /edit/

ItsMee

Last edited by ItsMee; 05-12-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #184
ItsMee

No more ideas - so I'll really have to go for replacement.. ? :-(
Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #185
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Diags needs a matching diags kernel. Main needs a matching main kernel. Main and diags do not need to match. There are a bunch of DIFFERENT versions of v5.1.0 (all different but all with the save major and minor version numbers). The latest v5.1.0 DELETES the SSH files from the kindle when it boots. So after installing an image, ssh can quit working after the next OTA update pushed from amazon.

Starting with v5.1.0, they broke a lot of our hacks, and they made programs compiled for v5.1.0 not work with v5.0.x in many cases (and vice versa). And now they are deleting files that we use. Bad amazon!

Anyway, like I said in PREVIOUS posts, be sure that you install matching diags_ssh and diags kernel version. Then it should work. You did not say you flashed the matching kernel.

You will probably continue to fail in your efforts if you continue to NOT follow my instructions.

What diags KERNEL version are you using?
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #186
ItsMee

>You will probably continue to fail in your efforts if you continue to NOT follow my instructions.

Thanks for letting me know - that's why I asked for instructions above if / how to install a matching kernel. Its not mentioned in the 'Simple debricking' thread.

I found reference to kernel install here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2080030).

Would you let me know if my idea matches your proposal?

fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img # from mmcblk0p2_ssh-kt-5.1.0.img.gz
fastboot.exe flash kernel kernel-kt-5.0.4.img # That doesn't look right. Is there a matching kernel image available?

Your advice is appreciated!

ItsMee

Last edited by ItsMee; 05-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #187
geekmaster

As far as I know, the only COMPLETE set of images and kernels is for 5.0.0. I have recommended in many posts to install those to downgrade to 5.0.0, the apply any firmware updates to get you to whatever firmware version you feel comfortable with.

If you wish to use a lot of the hacks here, I recommend upgrading to 5.0.4 (but an OTA update could still bite you if you keep your wireless enabled). Personally, I deregistered most of my kindles. I do not want amazon breaking my development work while it is still in progress...

You can get the 5.0.0 images here: http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/

EDIT: The reason I provided links to other newer images or kernels was on request so other devs could study them. I recommend debricking with OLDER images, then upgrading as desired.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-13-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #188
ItsMee

Thanks - I'll try the 5.0.0, sure. But from the name of them ssh is not enabled in diag? I should still try and might be able to enable ssh from diag?

How about that:

Code:
fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img
fastboot.exe flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
- boot diag mode, enable USB
- copy data.tar.gz to usb
- copy mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img to usb
- create RUNME.sh
Code:
#! /bin/bash  # i need that line?
dd if=/mnt/base-us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img  of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1024 # location right?
restart & pray

Want to make sure the 'flight in the dark' makes sense.
ItsMee

(I've non routed IP's on my kindle and never connect them to non-home networks, so updates is no concern. The reason I went to 5.1.0 was that I had reboots every 10th suspend to screensaver or so, was hoping to fix that)

Last edited by ItsMee; 05-13-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #189
geekmaster

I updated the pastebin page (which changes the URL). It now has URLs for dasmoovers new k4 and k5(touch) forensic images. I updated the URL for the new pastebin page, in the "forensic images" link in the debricking sticky.

I do not provide direct links (in compliance with mobileread rules), even though I received VERBAL permission from amazon techs (which was never followed up with written permission from their legal staff as I had requested). Amazon has also never followed up on their other "we will contact you in a couple of days" technical issues either.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #190
ItsMee

Companies that size - legal staff is good in raising concerns or saying no. To get approval you'll need to show lots of revenue in order to have them move their asses.

Still no change - flashing image + kernel, booting diags via mfg_tool - I get stuck with the tree again. I feel tempted to give up - that would be the first device I bricked so far, what a shame.
Code:
fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2-kt-5.0.0.img
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
fastboot reboot
ItsMee
Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #191
geekmaster

mmblk0p2 needs the diags-kernel. I see that dasmoover did not provide that. But it should be on the pastebin page.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #192
ItsMee

I don't think so, neither pastebin nor dasmoover has all 5.0.0 images..?

ItsMee
Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #193
geekmaster

I just added it. It was used in the "boot kernel from usb drive" (kexec) thread, but that link was dead, so I fixed it too.

You can download the 5.0.0 kernel from the kexec or the debricking threads.

So go try again. It is there now. (It was there awhile back too.) It is hard to keep all these images from all these versions straight, especially when the file name conventions changed to take the new versions into account. Name changes make old posts confusing...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-25-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #194
sib.husky
sib.husky began at the beginning.

Device: touch
Thank you I love this forum

Thanks a lot Geekmaster,
my KT is working again , it was a little tricky but I could get my hands on a windows box and followed your step by step description.
I think the whole mess started because the KT was not fully charged as I tried to jailbreak it.
So something went wrong and my KT was looped in diagnostics responded very slowly and by chance I put it in fast boot
in fast boot mode nothing worked anymore....no USB mode, no reset the screen was frozen in diagnostics.
During the 'repair' with mfg-tools and a fully charged battery something strange happened:for three times the KT booted to a blank screen with a big battery charging symbol and no response to any bottom then by putting the KT in diagnostic with mfg-tools it was looped again booted always in diagnostics.the fix came as I put the KT in Norm with mfg-tools and kept the USB connected for a little longer time (5min) suddenly a reboot with the famous tree, wow
Ok this time I learned it the hard way,
for the next time first the reading, then the fiddling
Brds
sib.husky
sib.husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #195
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sib.husky View Post
Thanks a lot Geekmaster,
my KT is working again
You are welcome. The debricking instructions and tools have matured to the point that the vast majority of successfull debrickings go unreported (judging from the number of "forensic image" downloads).

I added your success report to the list: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-25-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot