Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #61
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Just a wild guess.

I don't see why we should tiptoe around the idea that they locked the thing, as long as we don't go against a wall somewhere.

P.S.: I'll remove my links to freescale docs now, as google is pretty apt at indexing this thread and I shouldn't redistribute their stuff. Make your own accounts :-)

P.S2: very curious! No adb signal at all for me!

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-27-2011 at 08:07 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #62
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Guys, please tell me you have the same photos in /etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #63
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From what we have been told they are the Vox Dev team, and a part of an Easter Egg on the Vox.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #64
hieronymos
Groupie

Nice! :-)
Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #65
FriendlyFire
FriendlyFire began at the beginning.

Why I'm glad to see that there appears to be some progress regarding the Vox *somewhere*. I'd started losing hope what with the dearth of information on the CM forums or xda. Maybe I should've guessed this tablet would be firmly in ebook territory

In any case, I'm afraid I won't have much time to tinker with it. If I do, I'll report anything useful I might find here.
FriendlyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #66
hieronymos
Groupie

These guys seem to have answers: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ed/index2.html
Custom Roms, disassembly, all.
And no custom recovery. But since we can mount the recovery partition, we could just replace Kobos wiper with the Aosp recovery. There we might get full adb access. If that works, no custom recovery needed. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...very-mode.html
Flashing: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...n-process.html

Will try tomorrow.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-19-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #67
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
These guys seem to have answers: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ed/index2.html
Custom Roms, disassembly, all.
And no custom recovery. But since we can mount the recovery partition, we could just replace Kobos wiper with the Aosp recovery. There we might get full adb access. If that works, no custom recovery needed. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...very-mode.html
Flashing: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...n-process.html

Will try tomorrow.
The stuff on that freescale forum is really promising. I'm going to shoot off a PM to the Kobo team with some questions tonight and armed with those answers and some stuff from the forums I'll be spending the rest of the weekend going at it!
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #68
hieronymos
Groupie

Couldn't find out how to get into that bootstrap mode. But Kobo still has to provide something like that - for general service (i.e. problems during automatic upgrades / bricked units). Would be nice to recover through a cable instead of opening the thing up each time something goes wrong. I can't adb into my device. Don't know what's wrong there.

Add: Also using LiGux Tools https://market.android.com/details?i...b3VkLnRvb2wiXQ I can't seem to get into bootloader mode. I doubt adb will bring different results. However, when I turn on the Kobo while on USB under Windows, something pops up while the first black-and-white Kobo logo is there and then disappears when the colored logo comes up. Maybe we'll have to poll it somehow.

The further I go into the sources of the whole thing and read discussions, I see two important problems for custom roms though: pretty nasty proprietary drivers for the GPU and the Wifi (hélas why we don't have it).
Personally, I'd let the Android job to Kobo - they get the docs and maybe even the sources. Only important thing would be to get the USB host running - adapter on the way. I'm pretty content with the OS they provided.

Another forum is here: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/110-...ex-a8-tablets/
Note the first thread - 3G USB dongles.

As such, I'm rather tempted to check a dual-boot in the future. Freescale provides an Ubuntu image that seems to have all the drivers. If then I can get Bodhi (http://bodhilinux.com/) running, it's time to ditch the netbook :-)

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #69
FriendlyFire
FriendlyFire began at the beginning.

ADB seems to be very hard to get working normally, but you can always install ADBwireless if you've rooted your device. That works just fine.
FriendlyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #70
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
Was it just me, or anyone else had the unit gone to a full factory reset this morning? I didn't do anything with the unit for a couple of days, and this morning, trying to power it on, I got "system error - will do a factory reset" message. After that it went through a couple of reboots, system update, and from all the looks ended up in the state identical to the one when I just got it (kernel Oct. 27) - so apparently it can do a true factory reset under certain circumstances, if the things get pretty screwy.

I am thinking - should I make a full SD card image now, when it's in its most pristine state? I have now adb over USB working, so presumably I don't even have to root the unit or install any apps.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #71
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
ADB seems to be very hard to get working normally, but you can always install ADBwireless if you've rooted your device. That works just fine.
I gave up doing adb under Windows, but managed to do it under Linux (I installed a Linux on my old laptop's partition just to do that). I can provide the details, if anyone is interested. This is very useful if for some reason Kobo's WiFi stops working (it happened to me - I accidently renamed sh to sh0).

Last edited by pulsar; 11-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #72
danieru
danieru began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Was it just me, or anyone else had the unit gone to a full factory reset this morning? I didn't do anything with the unit for a couple of days, and this morning, trying to power it on, I got "system error - will do a factory reset" message. After that it went through a couple of reboots, system update, and from all the looks ended up in the state identical to the one when I just got it (kernel Oct. 27) - so apparently it can do a true factory reset under certain circumstances, if the things get pretty screwy.

I am thinking - should I make a full SD card image now, when it's in its most pristine state? I have now adb over USB working, so presumably I don't even have to root the unit or install any apps.
I think I might have had this happen to me. It didn't give any error but today while switching wallpapers the device rebooted. When it came back up everything was back to factory settings except: the wall paper was switched to what I selected and the application list included everything I had installed but everything crashes when I try and run it.

My device had been rooted. I've had it crash before when switching wallpapers but it never reset itself before.

I really hope we can get a decent third party firmware going.

Has anyone taken the freescale ubuntu images and tried booting them?
danieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #73
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Well, a recovery would be better first. So that we can get back if anything wrong appear.

Some question to those who extract the sdcard, did you manage to change it? If I make an image with my computer, can I restore the sdcard even if I totally brick the device?
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #74
pulsar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieru View Post
I think I might have had this happen to me. It didn't give any error but today while switching wallpapers the device rebooted. When it came back up everything was back to factory settings except: the wall paper was switched to what I selected and the application list included everything I had installed but everything crashes when I try and run it.

My device had been rooted. I've had it crash before when switching wallpapers but it never reset itself before.

I really hope we can get a decent third party firmware going.

In my case, it was a full factory reset - I went again through the same procedure as when I used it for the first time (signing up for the Kobo account, wifi settings etc.) All my applications are gone, including the root access. The wallpaper is exactly as it was at the beginning.

Which does suggest that the recovery*.zip file is not purely stock Android - it must have the Kobo initialization script (signing up for an account and getting an update). And then the first "update" is probably installing the first real Kobo distro.

Regarding restoring the system using an image of the internal micro-SD - it should work (at least when you are not trying to change partitions), but I haven't tried it yet.

I would leave physical swapping of the internal SD card as the last resort, when the unit is completely bricked, as these cards are extremely flimsy, and the card slot is probably flimsy too. The first card I bought to use as an external micro-SD card for Kobo, 16GB, stopped working (I suspect my kids played with it - though I can't find any signs of physical damage). Then as an experiment I very slightly bent it, and it immediately broke into two separate pieces.

As long as one can reboot the unit, and get adb over USB access, the best way to fix a bricked unit is to copy the image back onto the card using adb. I'll probably write a small guide regarding how to set up adb over USB access to Kobo Vox (from Linux), and how to create a backup (clone) SD card.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #75
hieronymos
Groupie

Quote:
Which does suggest that the recovery*.zip file is not purely stock Android - it must have the Kobo initialization script (signing up for an account and getting an update). And then the first "update" is probably installing the first real Kobo distro.
Nice! Sounds very plausible! And would mean that they actually made quite an intelligent recovery (as long as it doesn't take over like HAL in your case) - all we need to do in order to get a full factory reset is bricking the tablet :-)
Now since the device can apply an update after downloading it in the OS, there must be a way to reboot into a recovery mode where an update gets directly applied?

Quote:
As long as one can reboot the unit, and get adb over USB access, the best way to fix a bricked unit is to copy the image back onto the card using adb. I'll probably write a small guide regarding how to set up adb over USB access to Kobo Vox (from Linux), and how to create a backup (clone) SD card.
A howto would be nice. With the same setup (Ubuntu Maverick) I can connect to the phone just right, but the Kobo never shows up. When I go into the terminal and type adbd, it says it can't open the port.
What is it with that adb? Is there an instance flashed right onto the board? Say, if the SD card is completely erased, will there still be adb access?

Quote:
An easy and reasonably elegant solution for a dual boot is here: http://stream0.org/2011/08/10/dual-b...s-transformer/
In recovery, he applies a zip each time he wants to boot into the other OS.