Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
Kraebber
Kraebber began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Looking for extra charger for Sony PRS-500

Somewhere I saw that some sort of play station charger or connecter works with the reader but I can't find this article. Help if possible. Thanks.
Kraebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Close, it's the PSP charger not the playstayshun one.

In fact Sony was using a couple of PSP chargers at Sony's Bloggers' Day event last year, so you can be pretty sure it's okay.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Hi

I recently imported the Sony 505 from B&H after reading several recommendations in these forums. Very happy with it I am too!

I'd just like a bit of clarification re: using the PSP wall charger. I live in the UK and am reluctant to use my UK PSP wall charger (I already have two PSP's) with the Reader as it's obviously a US machine. Is it *definitely* ok to charge it with the UK charger from a UK power supply? Sorry if it's a fairly ovious question, but I REALLY don't want the smell of it's burning innards wafting under my nostrils!

Cheers
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm in the UK too. The PSP charger works fine.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a car charger for my 505 thanks to it being PSP compatible. I bought a tip for the iGo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
I'd just like a bit of clarification re: using the PSP wall charger. I live in the UK and am reluctant to use my UK PSP wall charger (I already have two PSP's) with the Reader as it's obviously a US machine. Is it *definitely* ok to charge it with the UK charger from a UK power supply? Sorry if it's a fairly ovious question, but I REALLY don't want the smell of it's burning innards wafting under my nostrils!
The difference in US and UK power comes in the AC power delivered to wall outlets. The US uses a 60Hz, 120V AC (RMS) standard. The UK uses a 50Hz, 240V AC (RMS) standard. You would not want to use a US wall wort in the UK, or vice versa unless it was specified to work there. (I call the charger thingies that plug into the wall and have a cable to charge something wall worts, because they look like worts when they are plugged into a wall.)

Once power passes from a UK outlet through a UK wall wort, it is now DC power. In the case of the Sony PRS-505 and the Sony PSP, that's 5.2V, tip positive. That power (coming out of the wall wort, and going into your portable device) is the same in the same, anywhere in the world.

The US PRS-505 reader, and the UK wall wort will not pose any problems.

Using a US wall wort would be bad.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Cheers folks!
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Once power passes from a UK outlet through a UK wall wort, it is now DC power. In the case of the Sony PRS-505 and the Sony PSP, that's 5.2V, tip positive. That power (coming out of the wall wort, and going into your portable device) is the same in the same, anywhere in the world.

The US PRS-505 reader, and the UK wall wort will not pose any problems.

Using a US wall wort would be bad.

Andy
Aren't the PSP chargers 'universal' and designed to work on 110 or 220V, and 50-60 Hz? If so, a US wall wort would be fine.I don't have one on hand to check, but most such chargers are universal these days. The stock 500 charger is; I imagine the PSP charger would also be.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is DEFINITELY OK to use a UK PSP charger with the Reader. I did so for a year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Aren't the PSP chargers 'universal' and designed to work on 110 or 220V, and 50-60 Hz? If so, a US wall wort would be fine.I don't have one on hand to check, but most such chargers are universal these days. The stock 500 charger is; I imagine the PSP charger would also be.
I'm not sure about Sony's chargers.

I buy PSP chargers off eBay, and get them shipped from China. I will NOT guarantee that these will work universally with any outlet.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The AC adapter Sony sells for the 500/505 is UK compatible. All you need is a plug adapter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
ndskyz
ndskyz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/Tungsten T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
The "Official" Sony PSP chargers are 110-220. 50-60Hz ( I have a PSP) Some of the cheaper 3rd parties I've seen are 110 only. Be careful which you choose.
ndskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Thinner
Thinner began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS505
I recommend a so called universal power adapter like Sima SP-60 that you can get at BestBuy or CircuitCity. (BTW pretty much all laptop power adapters are universal)

It's able to handle ac input 100~240V, 47~63Hz while output DC 3.3V/2.1A, 4.2V/2A, 5V/1.9A, 6.5V/1.7A, 8.4V/1.6A, 9.5V/1.5A through a slide selecting switch. It also comes with a bunch of connectors of different types and sizes to fit your device.

I use it on my reader and it works perfect -- much faster and more reliable than the usb port. Considering price of the adapter is ~$30 and SONY charger costs about the same(if not more), it's pretty easy to make the call.
Thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
SharmaMV
SharmaMV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Any advice on using the iPOD charger to charge the PRS505. The power input rating is 110 - 240 V 50 /60 hz supply and output of 5 V DC/0.8A. The USB connector on the charger is used to connect the device.
SharmaMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPod charger is a perfectly standard USB charger. It should work just fine. Is it not working for you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote