Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
Klip
Enthusiast
Klip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Font for print and e-reader?

Hi there
I have a client who wants to have the same font in the e-reader and print versions of their book. The ebook will be EPUB format. They have their own e-reading device that the book will be read on (I'm not sure how this works, but I suspect that this is some kind of company specific manual that people will be reading on that company's own reading device.)

I still have to find out more about this device - I've not had my first meeting with them yet - but I would like to be able to recommend a font at this meeting.

The font will be embedded in the EPUB, so it needs to be an open license font. The client seems to like sans-serif fonts. They were using Lucida Sans Unicode up to now, but that is quite limited.

Would something like the Liberation family of True Type fonts work for print as well as screen?
Klip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Please advise them not to. Adding a font does not always work as expected and will add weight to the book. In this case it doesn't seem to have significant advantage. Try to keep the usage of non-default fonts just for headers or special cases.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Please advise them not to. Adding a font does not always work as expected and will add weight to the book. In this case it doesn't seem to have significant advantage. Try to keep the usage of non-default fonts just for headers or special cases.
Simon & Shuster are using embedded fonts for their Star Trek ePub and I do think they look nice that way.

There is nothing wrong with embedding fonts. One I quite like is Charis SIL. It's a serif font and a serif font is better for reading a book then sans-serif (IMHO and most people on MR who took the poll).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
PageLab
Connoisseur
PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Positivo Alfa
There's a lot of typefaces created specifically for screen reading, but to effectively use them it's important to know beforehand whether the rendering engine of your client's device supports hinting, which is responsible for the optimized rendering of the letterforms in small font sizes.

The latest version of Liberation font family do have hinting instructions. Fedra is another great font that has versions tailored for print and screen. http://www.typotheque.com/fonts/fedra_sans_screen
PageLab is offline   Reply With Quote