Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
BMStroh
BMStroh began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Mapping {series} to Category/Genre in iBooks when Sharing via Email

I'd like to remove iTunes from the path between Calibre and my iPad, but it appears I'm not able to map {series} to "tags" via an "any format:email" plugboard. Combining series, series_index, and title seems to work, however.

I also tried the {#genre} custom column to "tags" map I found in an iDevices thread here, but it also doesn't appear to survive emailing.

Given that munging the title metadata seems to work, this looks like user error, but I'm not sure what I'm missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm on 0.8.48, downloading 0.8.50 now to see if anything changes.

Thanks!
BMStroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know, the moment you try and by-pass iTunes, the only fields that iBooks will pick up from the books metadata are the Title and Author.

If you think that is wrong perhaps you can provide an example book that exhibits the behaviour you want! That would allow the developers to look at it's internals.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
BMStroh
BMStroh began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hmm. That's too bad - from my interpretation of some of the posts, I thought iBooks was pulling Category (genre) from an ePub metadata tag, but it's entirely possible that Calibre is working some black magic to get category reflected properly when the ePub goes through iTunes.

Now I just have to decide if the convenience of email outweighs the knowledge that things are "right" and the way I want them.

Thanks for the reply.
BMStroh is offline   Reply With Quote