Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What iBooks is doing is unzipping the .epub file into a folder structure whose name comes from an id assigned by iTunes/iBooks (the strange sequence you're seeing).

I agree it would be nice if Apple would make it possible for 3rd party apps to add and delete books into iBooks. For readers who do find it useful to be able see what books are installed on their iDevice from calibre, Marvin is the best alternative at this time.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
sparker
sparker began at the beginning.

Try using Calibre as a server

Thanks to this site, I've got a way to get books from Calibre to iPad that's almost as easy as the "Drag and Drop"

http://www.epubor.com/sync-downloade...mavericks.html
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
SJHC
SJHC began at the beginning.

I dragged the book from Calibre to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books. It didn't show up in iBooks till I went back into finder and right-clicked "Open with" iBooks. At which point it opened perfectly in iBooks.
SJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
paul55391
Enthusiast
paul55391 began at the beginning.

I have a small home network with a Mac Mini as a server. Attached to the server is a large disk drive that contains my calibre library. I tried, unsuccessfully, to start up a Content Server in calibre. I admit I haven't taken the time to fix the problem. However, in my case it isn't as simple as selecting "Start Content Server". I think the example provided by sparker's link probably is for the case where the calibre library is on the same computer where calibre is running, or perhaps some prior Content Server setup is assumed.
paul55391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
NillaGoon
NillaGoon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker View Post
Thanks to this site, I've got a way to get books from Calibre to iPad that's almost as easy as the "Drag and Drop"

http://www.epubor.com/sync-downloade...mavericks.html
Just a warning to anyone reviewing this thread in light of the Mavericks issues:

It's of course true that you can access the Calibre content server from an iPad. However, the main thrust of Jonny Greenwood's article (the claim that there is no longer any form of native syncing) is just plain wrong. This situation is confusing enough without added misinformation...
NillaGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
adrianne
adrianne began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Calibre iBooks don't sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul55391 View Post
Mavericks has a new iBooks app, and iTunes no longer is the repository for eBooks. I just start up the calibre and iBooks apps and click-and-drag books from calibre to iBooks. iTunes is still used to sync with my iPads, except that now iTunes just pulls books from the repository maintained by iBooks.
I got my books from iTunes into iBooks OK. But new Calibre books added to iBooks don't sync with my iPad.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
adrianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See this sticky concerning calibre + Mavericks.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
Marketeer
Marketeer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul55391 View Post
Mavericks has a new iBooks app, and iTunes no longer is the repository for eBooks. I just start up the calibre and iBooks apps and click-and-drag books from calibre to iBooks. iTunes is still used to sync with my iPads, except that now iTunes just pulls books from the repository maintained by iBooks.
Paul
I tried your suggestion, but when I moved my ebooks to iBooks, almost a third did not bring over the correct information. I had taken the time in Calibre to add the correct title, author etc, but over a third show author unknown and from what I read, there is no way at this time to correct in iBooks.
I mainly want the eBooks (all pdfs btw) on my iPad for travelling
any thoughts? suggestions?
Marketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketeer View Post
Paul
I tried your suggestion, but when I moved my ebooks to iBooks, almost a third did not bring over the correct information. I had taken the time in Calibre to add the correct title, author etc, but over a third show author unknown and from what I read, there is no way at this time to correct in iBooks.
I mainly want the eBooks (all pdfs btw) on my iPad for travelling
any thoughts? suggestions?
Look at the sticky from the post before yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
See this sticky concerning calibre + Mavericks.

G
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #25
Marketeer
Marketeer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Look at the sticky from the post before yours:
Thanks. Being a newbie here, took me a second to understand 'sticky'
Marketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketeer View Post
Thanks. Being a newbie here, took me a second to understand 'sticky'
Oh, we were all new once.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #27
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

I'm not figuring this out. When I buy books, I want them in Calibre first. When I buy a book from Amazon or B&N, I can open the book in their readers, find the book on my Mac, and then drag that book to Calibre. I avoid buying books from Apple because I haven't figured out how to do this. But I have a book I bought. I found the directory where the book exists, but the .epub is a folder, not a file. I could read it using the iBook app, but expect I won't, as I decide what to read next by looking at Calibre. (I have 4 books going using 4 different readers).
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
I'm not figuring this out. When I buy books, I want them in Calibre first. When I buy a book from Amazon or B&N, I can open the book in their readers, find the book on my Mac, and then drag that book to Calibre. I avoid buying books from Apple because I haven't figured out how to do this. But I have a book I bought. I found the directory where the book exists, but the .epub is a folder, not a file. I could read it using the iBook app, but expect I won't, as I decide what to read next by looking at Calibre. (I have 4 books going using 4 different readers).
That is precisely the problem with figuring out how to do this with Apple books... because there is no way.

Sorry.

That folder is an unzipped ebook, so you *should* be able to read it with a text editor and even rename and rebuild the fragments into an ebook, but this is an Apple book so the real problem will be the DRM.