Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #76
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
For my first, I nominate Ivanhoe. It's long, but it's one of the greatest books of all time. imo It's exciting, suspenseful, enlightening, and truly has something for everyone.

I've read it a few times, but it's been a few years, and since it fits with the era I'm in, May would be great.

It's here, in epub and prc/mobi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanhoe

About:

Ivanhoe is a novel by Sir Walter Scott. It was written in 1819, and is set in 12th-century England, and is an example of historical fiction. Ivanhoe is sometimes credited for increasing interest in Romanticism and Medievalism; John Henry Newman claimed that Scott "had first turned men's minds in the direction of the middle ages," while Carlyle and Ruskin made similar claims to Scott's overwhelming influence over the revival based primarily on the publication of this novel.

Plot snippet:

Ivanhoe is the story of one of the remaining Saxon noble families at a time when the English nobility was overwhelmingly Norman. It follows the Saxon protagonist, Wilfred of Ivanhoe, who is out of favour with his father for his allegiance to the Norman king, Richard I of England. The story is set in 1194, after the failure of the Third Crusade, when many of the Crusaders were still returning to Europe. King Richard, who had been captured by the Duke of Saxony on his way back, was believed to still be in the arms of his captors. The legendary Robin Hood, initially under the name of Locksley, is also a character in the story, as are his "merry men", including Friar Tuck and less so, Alan-a-Dale; Little John is merely mentioned. The character that Scott gave to Robin Hood in Ivanhoe helped shape the modern notion of this figure as a cheery noble outlaw.

I'll second/third, or whatever's needed for Don Quixote.

I've read Anna Karenina so many times, including last year, I'm not in the mood myself, but it is a great book, so I'll give it my 3rd slot for y'all.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #77
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Look in the Reading Recommendations forum and look for the threads that start Book Club. You can see what's been nominated, voted on and discussed.
thanks, went through a bunch of posts.

i'll just keep my last slot then and use it if anything comes up that i may want to read.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #78
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If you've thirded The War of the Worlds. can you please rethrid again as it's not been a book of the month before.

The War of the Worlds was last voted on for December 2010. It came in 2nd behind Woman in White.

Woman in White was the book for December 2010.
thanks Jon, that sounds right. So, War of the Worlds has 3 noms now. I think he was taking back a non eligible book.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-21-2011 at 08:37 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless I missed something, we have eight books chosen so far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #80
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
dreams, I have found (thanks to your suggestion) ePub and mobi formats of Riders of the Purple Sage at feedbooks here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1840/r...he-purple-sage

Last edited by GA Russell; 04-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #81
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Unless I missed something, we have eight books chosen so far.
Did I miss something? Could you let me know, please? My eyes start to cross with so many windows open getting links and editing the post.

Post #21 has all the nominations and post #1 has the fully nominated ones listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
dreams, I have found (thanks to your suggestion) ePub and mobi formats of Riders of the Purple Sage at feedbooks here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1840/r...he-purple-sage
Thanks! I put them in.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #82
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dreams, Purple Sage has three - me, DixieGal and JSWolf.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Did I miss something? Could you let me know, please? My eyes start to cross with so many windows open getting links and editing the post.

Post #21 has all the nominations and post #1 has the fully nominated ones listed.

Thanks! I put them in.
I thirded Riders of the Purple Sage. So once that's set to three, we'll have our eight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #84
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
dreams, Purple Sage has three - me, DixieGal and JSWolf.
Quote:
I thirded Riders of the Purple Sage. So once that's set to three, we'll have our eight.
Thank you both. I have made the changes in post #1 and post #21.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #85
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The various copyright laws even affect our book club. Such craziness.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #86
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I hope those who nominate and/or vote for The Brothers Karamazov and Anna Karenina realize how much they will be reading.
Didn't realise when nominating, but yeah - that's a big book.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #87
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
For my final nomination, I do not believe you can discuss Classics without Jules Verne. I would like to take this opportunity to nominate "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by the master himself, Jules Verne.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #88
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I would like to second Ivanhoe, third Age of Innocence and the Diary of a Nobody.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #89
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Doesn't lila get us to ten nominations?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #90
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Doesn't lila get us to ten nominations?
It looks like it to me, too.

So:
There are now 10 fully nominated books - nominations closed.

I have updated post #1 (fully nominated books) and Post #21 (all nominated books), so everyone can see. Please let me know of any errors. Thank you.