Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #166
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
impressions on my new Kindle DX Graphite

Hi there,
I received my Kindle DX Graphite Yesterday. It took only three days to get from their place to mine (Switzerland).

I had a few moments to play with it and when I get the chance I will put it side by side with my Kindle 2.

As posted before, it does have a better contrast. That is the the first thing you notice right away. The navigation is identical to the Kindle 2, so you will not be lost.

My purpose was to read PDF. So I tried 60 MB technical PDF document. It takes a few seconds to load and to go to the next page takes more time than for a simple book, but the PDF is easily readable. And anyway if one page is difficult to read, juste rotate it and it will be displayed in two pages.

I tried it with Comics as well, same great results, it would load quicker than the technical file (size of the comic was around 20 MB). It went flawlessly.

Last but not least I tried another 60 Mb file for a RPG book. This book had a lot of pictures in it, and the background was also a picture made to look like old paper.
This background showed white. And some picture were replaced by black boxes, so they did not appear.

I will try to see whether I can improve that by converting this PDF to a PDF more suited to Kindle using Calibre. It seems strange that for some pages, the picture did not appear while it did for others.

But all in all, I am very satisfied with my new purchase. I do not regret not purchasing an iPad instead, I would have gotten video and colour, but also backlighting which is killing me for reading.

Cheers
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #167
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
So has any of you other Graphite owners noticed more ghosting than on previous Kindles? Specifically solid black bars leaving behind white "shadows" or imprints of themselves if the black bar is moved.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #168
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricou View Post
Hi there,
Last but not least I tried another 60 Mb file for a RPG book. This book had a lot of pictures in it, and the background was also a picture made to look like old paper.
This background showed white. And some picture were replaced by black boxes, so they did not appear.

I will try to see whether I can improve that by converting this PDF to a PDF more suited to Kindle using Calibre. It seems strange that for some pages, the picture did not appear while it did for others.

But all in all, I am very satisfied with my new purchase. I do not regret not purchasing an iPad instead, I would have gotten video and colour, but also backlighting which is killing me for reading.

Cheers
If the dimensions of the photo are larger than the size of the screen or maybe just too dense and heavy in size, it won't show up on the Kindle.

I hope your results are good.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #169
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiyo View Post
So has any of you other Graphite owners noticed more ghosting than on previous Kindles? Specifically solid black bars leaving behind white "shadows" or imprints of themselves if the black bar is moved.
Whenever there is ghosting, Osiyo, hold down the alt-key and press G and that refreshes the ink distribution o nthe screen.

alt-G

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #170
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Osiyo, I've seen a little of it but it went away went I went to another page. My unsolicited advice: Don't dwell on it, just turn the page
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #171
Osiyo
Osiyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thanks guys. I will try to forget about it, I just don't like that I never saw this kind of ghosting on my K2 before. At the end of the day it does not affect my reading experience, just the little voice in the back of my head wondering if what I am seeing is normal.
Osiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #172
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Whenever there is ghosting, Osiyo, hold down the alt-key and press G and that refreshes the ink distribution o nthe screen.
Good tip. I find it even easier to just hit Menu/Menu quickly (saves a finger).
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #173
ricou
Enthusiast

Hi there,
The pictures that would not show, were smaller picture embedded in the PDFs, so why would certain picture on a pdf page appear and others would not, is beyond me...
Anyway, I did find a workaround for this specific PDF file. I turned every page into a png picture and used Mangle DX (that I found on this website by the way) to format those pages into DX sized, grayscale picture. Now I can read my file picture by picture (using the picture subfolder) the same way I would read a Manga/Comics. And as each picture is now formatted in GIF, it does not take more space than the original PDF.

Let me state that this is a specific issue linked to one PDF file which I did not create. Everything else that I have thrown at it was read perfectly.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #174
ricou
Enthusiast

Hi there,
I tried reading Manga and Comics (black & white obviously) by extracting the pictures from .cbz files.
It looks great on the kindle. I enjoy it so much that now I am commuting with the DX instead of my regular size kindle 2 (which I might end up selling since it will not be of much use).

Any way, the Kindle DX continues to fullfill my expectations.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #175
dimas_xp
dimas_xp began at the beginning.

Device: not yet
I am going to use device for reading hard pdf - scanned journals (all pages are pictures, no ocr). The size of such pdf is about 100Mb. Can Kindle DX operate with sich hard files, how it's comfortable?
how does text look, when it's above picture or some coloured frame? Is it acceptable for reading in this case?
dimas_xp is offline   Reply With Quote