Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Books from the Sony Store won't be so easy...I was reading unprotected epub files and those are easy to convert via calibre.

One interesting thing I noticed: I can use the integrated browser...I thought this was not supposed to be possible outside the US and Japan??? I only tried wikipedia so far, but I guess if that works everything works???

EDIT: While wikipedia seems to work mobileread does not, so I guess it is some kind of half-restricted thingy...
I have not even tried this, but it was my understanding that the browser was limited to certain sites -- like wikipedia and blogs ...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #47
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, according to Amazon.com website the browser should not work at all. blogs should also be deactivated. I have not tried those yet, but as long as Wikipedia works I'm not too unhappy.

Can anyone else second my findings with the browser?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #48
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Well, according to Amazon.com website the browser should not work at all. blogs should also be deactivated. I have not tried those yet, but as long as Wikipedia works I'm not too unhappy.

Can anyone else second my findings with the browser?
I can't search via google or go to any URL except wikipedia, which seems to work fine. Has a deal been struck perhaps or is this a side effect of 3G?
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #49
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I am GREEN with envy...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #50
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Please. Couldn't leave it sat there charging. Just looking the the user guide on the kindle.
Sometimes the next page button responds and sometimes it doesn't. Im hoping this is user error as Im getting used to it. Anybody else having similar problems?

Plus battery showing lighting bolt when not connected to the mains???

mack120

Last edited by mack 120; 10-21-2009 at 10:22 AM.
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The current kindlepid doesn't work with international Kindles, but that's just because it's being cautious. If you add in a line or to so that it runs the algorithm on serial numers beginning B003 as well as B002 and B001, then it works fine.

I could download from BooksOnBoard (after entering the Kindle's PID) and then, after applying kindlefix, the book could be read on the Kindle.

(A lot easier, of course, just to strip the DRM, but I know some people are unhappy doing that.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #52
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Mine has been indexing the 100 books I put on it for the last 4 hours. Still 19 to go.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flub View Post
Mine has been indexing the 100 books I put on it for the last 4 hours. Still 19 to go.
Be aware that the indexing is a battery hog. When I first got my K2 I put 400 books on it and had problems with battery drain and also had to reset a couple times, I thought I had a bad unit at first. Since then though it has been the most solid reader I own with not a single problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #54
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Happily I read about that in advance and it's doing it on the charger

How long did your 400 books take out of interest? I was hoping to get some reading done on this later.

Last edited by Flub; 10-21-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #55
Flub
Groupie

And here we are. Still apparently indexing and still with 19 items not indexed. I think something is broken. Excellent start Amazon.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How long did your 400 books take out of interest? I was hoping to get some reading done on this later.
Don't remember exactly, it was "days" I just don't remember how many. You can read a book while it's indexing.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #57
Flub
Groupie

Read a book while it's indexing? The thing is barely responsive to button presses. It'd drive me utterly insane.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #58
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Read a book while it's indexing? The thing is barely responsive to button presses. It'd drive me utterly insane.

Hmm, mine wasn't that bad while indexing. It worked close to normal except for battery drain and a few lock-ups. Might depend on the files being indexed I suppose.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-21-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmmm, I don't know why you guys would load that many books on a linear access device anyway. I've only loaded a dozen or so and didn't even realize there was any indexing taking place. What is it for?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #60
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmmm, I don't know why you guys would load that many books on a linear access device anyway. I've only loaded a dozen or so and didn't even realize there was any indexing taking place. What is it for?
It indexes the books so it can search them.