Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
karinc
Enthusiast
karinc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Can't get Mac ebook Reader to reinstall; not seeing windows

I have a MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8. I have installed the ebook Reader software version 3 from Sony and it won't show any windows, that is, there are no dialog boxes, no help, nothing to indicate that the program is even running except for the menus and the icon in the dock. I have reinstalled it several times, contacted support, and followed their instructions (which were to restart the computer, then reinstall it with no other programs running, then restart again - no change).

I had Adobe Library installed for awhile but removed that also, and reinstalled the Sony software, no dice. Same problem, no windows. Also removed the Preferences files and reinstalled. On this last "reinstall" I noticed that if I went to custom install the installer software noted that the "install" would take 0bytes, and states that it's an "update" even though I have tried to remove the program before "reinstalling" (dragging the program into the trash and deleting the preferences file etc.).

I am using (happily) calibre for my book management. I only want to use my public library for epub books ARGH. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!
karinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
karinc
Enthusiast

PS - And I'm getting an error after "installing" that a file doesn't exist - "The file /CAD&language=en&product=unknown does not exist." AND it doesn't restart... and I have checked my hard disk with Disc Utility and it comes out ok.
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Karin,

What language and region is your computer set to?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
karinc
Enthusiast

Assuming I'm looking in the right place on my Mac (the "region" terminology would apply more to Windows), in the System Preferences, International settings, English is the first choice language, and under International Formats, it's set to United States.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinc View Post
Assuming I'm looking in the right place on my Mac (the "region" terminology would apply more to Windows), in the System Preferences, International settings, English is the first choice language, and under International Formats, it's set to United States.
Hmmm... don't know what to tell you. Many people that see this problem had a region other than US set, and when they changed it to US it started working.

BOb
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Do you have any access to a windows computer at all?

BOb
Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
justiin
justiin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I had the same problem, but have worked out the solution on my macbook pro with Snow Leopard.

I changed the region in System Preferences - Date & Time, and changed it to English in Language and Text. But the thing that took a while to work out (after numerous reinstalls) is that you also need to change System Preferences - Language & Text - Formats. Change Formats to United States. Then it will work (you might need to reinstall after changing formats. Anyway it is working on my computer now!
justiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
karinc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you have any access to a windows computer at all?

BOb
Quote:
I changed the region in System Preferences - Date & Time, and changed it to English in Language and Text. But the thing that took a while to work out (after numerous reinstalls) is that you also need to change System Preferences - Language & Text - Formats. Change Formats to United States. Then it will work (you might need to reinstall after changing formats. Anyway it is working on my computer now!
Thanks both. I do have a Windows machine. I have a different set of problems over there. The Sony software was sort of working for awhile, but then I installed Adobe's software (because one of the sites I was using - was it the library? - said I needed this to authorize the software or the computer... anyway, after that every time I dragged a book into the device on the Sony software in order to load it up to the Reader the software crashed. I did a bunch of re-installs, and followed the rep's instructions to remove the software by manually deleting several folders, but still had the same problems.

The current issue with the Mac software is that when I go to "reinstall" it I don't think it's actually DOING anything - I think this because when I look at the "custom" settings it says that it will take 0MB of space to install everything. ;0(

I think I have to call Sony back. I will try the Mac Settings again, too, to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Geesh, Sony, get it together. This shouldn't be this hard.

Karin

Last edited by karinc; 10-04-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
nathanb
Connoisseur
nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nathanb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
This might not make a difference but have you tried switching the format to United States (computer) instead of United States, as surprising as this might be it worked for me. For about 1 hour and then the problem came back but maybe you will have better luck
nathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinc View Post
Thanks both. I do have a Windows machine. I have a different set of problems over there. The Sony software was sort of working for awhile, but then I installed Adobe's software (because one of the sites I was using - was it the library? - said I needed this to authorize the software or the computer... anyway, after that every time I dragged a book into the device on the Sony software in order to load it up to the Reader the software crashed.
So, the [real] question is, were you able to authorize your reader to ADE on the windows machine? If so, you can just use ADE on your Mac. It won't recognize the Sony, but that doesn't matter. You can just use finder to move the books to the Digital Editions folder on the Sony after you have d/l'ed them with ADE.

BOb
Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #11
justiin
justiin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
You need to go to System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Formats -> Then Change Region to USA. Then it will work. Changing the time's region or the language will not fix it you need to change the Format! Had the same problem, but after many reinstalls I discovered this.
justiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiin View Post
You need to go to System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Formats -> Then Change Region to USA. Then it will work. Changing the time's region or the language will not fix it you need to change the Format! Had the same problem, but after many reinstalls I discovered this.
If you are reading the messages the OP said that they already checked this and are set to US region.

BOb
Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
karinc,

Here's the procedure I got from Sony phone support for completely removing all traces of the eBook Library before re-installing:

Delete /Library/eBookLibrary
Delete /Users/(yourname)/Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation
Delete /Users/(yourname)/Library/Preferences/fsk
Delete /Users/(yourname)/Library/Preferences/Marlin

Reinstall software.

Note that hiding in /Library/eBookLibrary is an actual uninstall script - but it doesn't delete any of those preference files.

Last edited by mwheinz; 10-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
karinc
Enthusiast

thanks mwheinz - that's pretty much what they told me to do, too. I think I must have missed the pref's files.

With the rep's help we got the Mac version to work. I tossed the app from the application folder and then tossed the Sony stuff from the Library and from the Preferences. Then I reinstalled and it seems to work now. I'm not going to use the Adobe software (still can't get that to "see" the Reader anyway), but I'll let everyone know in case you need to know that version 3 WILL work with the files you download from the (public) library. You just have to say "YES" when the Sony Library prompts you to make the file association with .epub files. Then you download the files you have checked out from the (public) library, and when you double-click on them the Sony software opens them up. ;0)
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #15
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
This happened to me last night. I was working fine with the software and then when I minimized it to my dock, suddenly it was gone!!! I could not "maximize" it again. The icon was in the dock running, but nothing appeared. I thought it was in another "space" in Spaces, but it was not. I trashed the application and then reinstalled it again. It runs, but there are no windows, no dialog boxes, only a dock icon that says its running and a menu. I have snow leopard, and a mac book pro (2.33 MhZ).

So, if I get this straight, I need to trash all the preferences and the app, and reinstall it again? Or I need to change my region settings...? If I do that, I have to go through the whole registration process AGAIN??? And so for mac users: DON'T MINIMIZE EBOOK LIBRARY TO THE DOCK?

Thanks for any help. R
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony ebook library